The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

no deer REALLY?

11K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  DIYASUB 
#1 ·
all of the guys and women that sit in the same stands year after year and complain about what the pgc did to the deer need to go to the archery success and look at what they did.If you don't see deer MOVE.there lots of big deer, you just might have to work a little harder.Sorry but i can only listen to it for so long

#3 ·
Agreed...bucks are going extinct by my stand one tag at a time. Now that my daughter hunts look out! Guess what, my son will be hunting soon so the deer herd will be near extinct within a few years. Hunters that put the time in and learn how to hunt can kill deer faster than CWD!

#4 ·
martinshooter said:
all of the guys and women that sit in the same stands year after year and complain about what the pgc did to the deer need to go to the archery success and look at what they did.If you don't see deer MOVE.there lots of big deer, you just might have to work a little harder.Sorry but i can only listen to it for so long
same post has been made for the past 12 years--get a new line---Sorry but i can only listen to it for so long

#11 ·
I love when people tell me there are no deer in my county....I'm just the product of luck year after year. Makes me giggle. I hear lots of people complain but never see any knock on 50 doors if necessary to gain any access.

#13 ·
I typically will spot a lot and always have a deer in mind before I knock on any doors. if I see a buck I would like to go after I start knocking on every property owners door that I feel might give me a chance at said buck. I always give back when I get permission or at least offer to help out. shovel snow, yard work, etc....

#15 ·
Sure theres deer on private property but theres no denying the numbers sunshine.

When the area of 2G and 4D combined dont make up the harvest of 2B alone their might just be very few deer for that given area. I always love when some dude from 5C or 2B comes on here to tell me how great it is and that I should move. Well, my job is here, my family is here and the farm ten miles down the road is no better than the one out the back door.

Sorry but I cant jump in my car at 5pm and make it down to 2b to knock on 50 doors and gain permission for a 20 minute hunt. Not that it would make much sense.

#16 ·
I think you missed my point. I am close to 2b but I don't always hunt there. I typically hunt in 1a or 2a. my point was I scout a lot and won't even hunt a property or ask to hunt a property unless I have good reason to believe a deer I want is in that area. it helps being on the road at 3 am driving through some of these places but I will say that ten miles down the road makes a difference. I have hunted woods on one side of the road and saw no deer......hunted a mile away the next day on the other side of the road and saw 6 legal buck in one sit.

#17 ·
I would be applying my very same tactics if I lived in your area. I am not be seeing many deer like you but I wouldn't even be hunting there unless I felt I had a good chance. I've been cussed at to no end knocking on doors, called a murderer, threatened to have the police called on me and just for asking to hunt. it's just a part of the game for me. I smile, thank them politely for their consideration and walk away.

#18 ·
Its always the same complaint year after year.. Well i will say theres not the deer or buck there used to be.feilds we spotted when i was a kid used to have 150 deer in em lucky to have 5 now. but its to our own undoing. with land development an things being build an gas co.s alot of land been taking over.an ppl that have a good heard on their property post it for a reason.I dont see the deer i did 30 yrs ago but the quality of bucks are much beeter than before.we have 57 acres an ive had quality bucks past few yrs around. Now ive hunted all over this season on public land an seen more deer this yr than i did last yr.guys that complain the most about no deer arnt putting in the time to see deer. going out sitting a cpl hrs isnt gona give you ample time to see any numbers of deer.just my 2 cents

#19 ·
I scouted every free minute I had from feb-opener of archery season. You cant kill what isnt there and Im sorry but I dont gamble hunting areas with the wrong wind because unlike most I dont think I can beat a deers sense of smell.

Ill lay this out there. You come to 4D-2G and kill a buck on public land thats even a little bit impressive with a bow for three seasons in a row and Ill hand you a $100 check, cook you a steak dinner and buy you a six pack of your choice to drink with the dinner.

#20 ·
I live and hunt in 2G.There's places with alot of deer and places with very few.Many of the places that have alot of deer only do so for limited periods of time,depending on the food sources.Scouting year round is never a bad idea but the only thing that really matters is if the deer are there right now.If I have time to scout in-season I always do very well.This year I had no time and killed one measly doe and never saw a buck from a stand.It's not do to a lack of deer.It's do to a lack of time and ever constantly changing food sources.

#22 ·
jlh42581 said:
I scouted every free minute I had from feb-opener of archery season. You cant kill what isnt there and Im sorry but I dont gamble hunting areas with the wrong wind because unlike most I dont think I can beat a deers sense of smell.

Ill lay this out there. You come to 4D-2G and kill a buck on public land thats even a little bit impressive with a bow for three seasons in a row and Ill hand you a $100 check, cook you a steak dinner and buy you a six pack of your choice to drink with the dinner.
That's a tough offer anywhere in the state really, three years in a row it can be hard even with "good" private land. I hope someone takes you up on this I know I wouldn't put my money against it.

#24 ·
jlh42581 said:
is this offer open to anyone? iknow a few guys who kill pretty nice bucks in 2G on public land every year.

#25 ·
jlh42581 said:
Sure theres deer on private property but theres no denying the numbers sunshine.

When the area of 2G and 4D combined dont make up the harvest of 2B alone their might just be very few deer for that given area. I always love when some dude from 5C or 2B comes on here to tell me how great it is and that I should move. Well, my job is here, my family is here and the farm ten miles down the road is no better than the one out the back door.

Sorry but I cant jump in my car at 5pm and make it down to 2b to knock on 50 doors and gain permission for a 20 minute hunt. Not that it would make much sense.
Look at it this way, we live in paradise. Would you leave this area to move to Pittsburgh, just so you could have easy bowhunting? I have nearly 1 million acres of public land within an hour of my house, several 100,000's of acres within a half hour. You can't compare hunting around here to hunting where you can watch TV through somebody's window from your stand.
I know the hunting around here is hard. Thats the way I like it. Couldn't pay me to hunt in the city.

#26 ·
That sign would be true with the simple addition of one word.........Deer HUNTERS going extinct! Our family has had a camp in 2F for 44 years and hunters, collectively, just don't hunt like they did back in the old "one and done" days. My camp is in sight of a well used secondary road and the parade of very obviously homeward bound vehicles starts by 8am on buck monday. Guys used to spend a week. Now some don't spend an hour! Btw, I can remember talk like this going on the big woods ever since I was old enough to hunt......and that's been a few years now!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.