Button Bucks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Button Bucks

Just talked to a good friend of mine who has drafted and submitted a request to the PGC requiring a button buck to be tagged with your buck tag and your tag to be forfeited. Personally I think this is a great idea and I really hope that it works out. Too many guys are willing to just go out and shoot the first legal deer that is in range. It only takes about 3 seconds to look at a "does" head and see if it has buttons or not. Not sure how the rest of you guys feel but I hope this goes through. Hunters in PA need to start doing a better job of herd management and not just killing a deer because they have a tag.

Bowtech Experience
Game Life Hunters Pro-Staff Team Pennsylvania
Team Lung Blood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:51 PM

Re: Button Bucks

I agree...mostly. but it'll never happen.
post #3 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I know it will never happen but at least somebody tried. Perhaps and exception for senior, junior, and handicapped. I know it will never happen but the thought is good.

Bowtech Experience
Game Life Hunters Pro-Staff Team Pennsylvania
Team Lung Blood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Im shooting the first legal deer in my sights
post #5 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 PM

Hunters and sportsmen's clubs need to get together to promote and educate more about herd management...and the Pgc needs to reduce the doe tag allocations.
post #6 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM
The Man

So which tag should a guy use if he already used his buck tag?

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #7 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

ok I've hunted the same general area for 5 years, always "save" button bucks hoping they will be more buck around next year. Next year rolls around and the same thing, nothing but button bucks. This year about 50% of the deer I've seen have been button bucks. Also I read a study that said in a nutshell button bucks range FAR from their home range in their next year. So you are saving them for the guy hunting about a mile away not yourself. Especially here in 5C. Ok now that I've said all that I never shoot button bucks. However this year is so darn tough next week I think a few might get the axe. BTW when I was growing up the old wives tale was that when you shot a doe you ended up shooting numerous buck, when you shoot a button buck you are just killing one buck.
So basically if your hunting area is ovverun with deer, the shooting doe is a good idea. If you hunt where I do its probably a good idea to save the doe since they are very scarce. Food for thought.

2017-Working on the house has replaced hunting and fishing
post #8 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 PM

I had a button lined up with the pin and peep this morning, let it down after I saw his velvet nubs. If you have time to hunt, there's no real reason for shooting the dumb things, they are so curious and easy to kill it is just isn't fair. To each his own though, legal is legal. What amazes me is how 3 years of age changes them to so much more of a formidable critter to kill.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #9 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:25 PM

Although I feel the harvesting of does is critical in many areas, the harvesting of button bucks is one of the sole reasons I don't shoot does (unless I don't kill a buck).
I like the week hold on does in 2A, but at some point I think "does" need to be taken down in many areas of the state.

PSE Omen
*HHA 0L-5019
*QAD HD
2A
post #10 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:28 PM

Some people are very happy/content shooting any deer, including button bucks. I'm fine with that. Not everyone cares about inches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page