? on Deer vs. Forest Future - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
The Man

? on Deer vs. Forest Future

Had a good friend call me today with concern about the future with deer. This guy and his family are owners of around 200 acres. They decided to have a forestor come in and evaulate there property. This guy told them about the oaks and other trees not reseeeding them selves causing a bad impact on deer. Went on to tell them Pa. forest are in such bad condition the foresty end urged the Pgc to all the deer tags and what they thought was few deer now there should be more taken. The real kicker they was told with in 10 years between disease and hunting there will be almost no deer like there was many years ago. They was told this by a forestor and sounded to them convincing. Any truth to this are they being suckered by a forestor, the area is in western part of 2C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: ? on Deer vs. Forest Future

Your deer are eating your young oaks before they can mature..If you take a day trip to the Michaux State Forest just east of Chambersburg you will see the DCNR is putting in many deer proof enclosures with gates on them.You will see much better growth inside then outside.Make it an educational trip for your family..The DCNR are not trying to kill all of the deer..The deer are increasing in the Michaux...
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Yes i seen one of them close to my camp it was put in around 5 years ago with all the locals crying the blues. They just took it down actually paid a local to do it and he was able to keep the material for salvage. It sure looks totally different in that area in that 5 years. Is there a concern about disease though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
Is there a concern about disease though?
Yes, disease is a major problem with beechnut trees on the Gallitzin State Forest. The beech trees have been dying off at an alarming rate. The latest fence that was put up was from a section of forest that had nothing but dead beech and they replanted young trees.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The doe kill is still WAY too low almost everywhere I hunt. I mostly hunt public land in 4d/2g. I do hunt some prime private and it is actually a little better because the landowner is able to encourage people to shoot does.
I think the fact that many of my public hunting areas are 1+ miles from the road keeps the doe hunters out. Who wants to drag a doe a mile up and down hillsides? I do. But, I won't be able to forever, either.
It is hard to do much management on only 200 acres, especially depending on the dimensions of the property. However, shooting some big does would be a start.
We are getting real close to needing to expand the special regs type rules to more areas of the state. I'm not sure that would even help in the more remote areas.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:38 AM

In bald eagle, the enclosures have worked, but not like they thought. Older one are generally small maple, with just the big oaks in there they left for the cut to reseed. Problem is the laurel has come back 3 fold, and pretty much no oak seedling, if there is they eventually get stripped of leaves a few years and die off. Its a shame, but you cant always just blame the deer. If you have a "keystone" plant like laurel, nothing or little is gonna come up through that mess.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Funny thing, i can say since i have been a member on this site i have learned a lot. I have never had much conversation with a game warden before but a few years ago i ran in to one at sheetzs. This guy was Tim Flanugan retired now and was right after ar come in effect and we spoke of how the hunter needs to be educated on some of these matters and why things are being done. I started it by saying i seen some good changes coming when they went to a much friendler and nicer reg. book. The old little book to me was like something Hitler wrote cant do this and that, etc. The new one started to explain the programs. But back to start i told my buddy i have been learning these things since being a member on hunting pa. I was like him and others a few years ago blaming the game commision for running a million dollar money racket to sell doe tags. I never heard of the dmcp ( what ever it is ). I guess sometimes we let out mouth over run our but when we wont look at the broad pic. I think one of the biggest hunting lessons i have learned the last few years is from being a member here. My buddy was domb founded and now thinking too the glory years of the 90's when it was like a petting zoo was not good at all for the food chain.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBruin
In bald eagle, the enclosures have worked, but not like they thought. Older one are generally small maple, with just the big oaks in there they left for the cut to reseed. Problem is the laurel has come back 3 fold, and pretty much no oak seedling, if there is they eventually get stripped of leaves a few years and die off. Its a shame, but you cant always just blame the deer. If you have a "keystone" plant like laurel, nothing or little is gonna come up through that mess.
Isnt the laurel your state flower or shrub?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Yes the beechnut tree, i couldnt think of the tree he told me about that was the problem.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I have to agree, i hunt all private and i would say in a few neighboring places i can hunt " im not going there and dragging a doe out " Guess shame on me "

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page