Reaction to Chambersburg Public Opinion Article - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Reaction to Chambersburg Public Opinion Article

From today's Public Opinion

Outdoors with Mark Sturtevant

Another deer season is just a month and a half away and many hunters are wondering if it is worth buying a license and heading into the woods. Pennsylvania Game Commission continues on its mission to reduce the state's deer herd and, sadly, they seem to be doing a great job.

Many of us have spent a lot of days afield these past few seasons and had very few encounters with the whitetail that was once quite prolific here. I remember stories of hundreds of deer seen in fields all over Pennsylvania, stories that made me hope one day to have the chance to hunt here. After 17 seasons I have witnessed the precipitous decline in the quality of deer hunting in south central Pennsylvania.

Recently I have read some interesting information published by John Eveland, who has made his own scientific investigation of PGC's deer management plan. Eveland asserts that the agency is violating state law in its efforts to radically reduce the deer herd to improve things for the timber industry and "improve biodiversity." He makes a good case, citing Title 34 Section 322 (c) (13) which states, "It is the duty of the Commission to serve the interest of sportsmen for recreational hunting."

That is pretty clear language and I find it hard to believe that the agency and the legislators who empower them can twist that meaning to serve the interests of the timber industry, DCNR, snowmobilers or any other user group or body that has interests contrary to those of Pennsylvania's hunters. Hunters fund
Advertisement
PGC and they are supposed to work for the folks who pay them. Clearly that is not what they are doing.

If you want to read about the work Mr. Eveland has done, and I recommend that you do if you hunt in Pennsylvania, visit the Allegheny County Sportsman's League website at http://www.acsl-pa.org. There you will find the documents, Mr. Eveland's distinguished biography and a wealth of evidence offering proof that the decline in our deer hunting is not accident, or folly, but a planned attack on our hunting heritage.

I expect to hunt a week in Ohio this fall, and though I look forward to that trip all year long, I am sad to admit that that week may be all the deer hunting I do this season. The past several years have proven that the public lands I frequent no longer have decent deer populations.

The debate about PGC's deer management has raged on for a long time, and the situation continues to worsen. It is time for our lawmakers to act, to replace those who work contrary to their legal mandate to "serve the interest of sportsmen for recreational hunting."

It is up to us to remind them of that fact, over and over again, until they do something to return Pennsylvania to the kind of deer hunting state they tell stories about.

"I've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Reaction to Chambersburg Public Opinion Article

This guy must be hunting in a mine shaft..Chambersburg and south central PA has some of the best deer hunting in the state now..Sure there are areas where the deer have been reduced in numbers but alot of areas are retaining their deer numbers..The Michaux which is 15 minutes from him are seeing increased numbers of deer..An hours drive away to Huntingdon county and you would have to be blind to not see deer there.This is a lopsided article from a reporter who is not doing his scouting..Also to the west Fulton county has alot of public ground and good deer numbers.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Sage

Perhaps he's Eveland's nephew?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Sage

Just another hit piece using using A biologist who is a legend in his own mind. Eveland for crying out loud! Same old same old. Don't know which is the biggest joke, Eveland or the writer.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

<span style="font-style: italic">Another deer season is just a month and a half away and many hunters are wondering if it is worth buying a license and heading into the woods</span>

Nobody that I hunt with is asking this question.

Let that dude go to Ohio......PA doesn't need him....

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Eveland, old news & a bunch of bunk.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313
This guy must be hunting in a mine shaft..Chambersburg and south central PA has some of the best deer hunting in the state now..Sure there are areas where the deer have been reduced in numbers but alot of areas are retaining their deer numbers..The Michaux which is 15 minutes from him are seeing increased numbers of deer..An hours drive away to Huntingdon county and you would have to be blind to not see deer there.This is a lopsided article from a reporter who is not doing his scouting..Also to the west Fulton county has alot of public ground and good deer numbers.
Hey Burk,there are no deer left in Franklin Co.....
well, cept a few in Liesurekenny...

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 10:42 PM
The Man

Rather profound, but ordinary in that hunters have chosen to retire from hunting, in every decade.
I had friends that ended their careers in deer hunting after only some ten years, and some who had twenty and thirty year deer hunting careers.
Most fade away quietly into retirement. And the hunters do what they did; hunt. And move on.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Another example of proof positive that no knowledge of the subject is required to be a Writer. Just the gift of gab.. sort of reminds me of another famous person who has the gift of gab that is full of it, but will reserve my comments for the politico forum..

But, it is sort of sad that someone so ignorant of the situation has a forum like a newspaper to influence impressionable readers.

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 AM

I don't believe any actual "hunters" are wondering if it's worth it to buy a hunting license and head into the woods.

I do believe that persons who used to buy hunting licenses and put a total of 20-30 hours into it, including their pre-season preparation while listening to Luke Bryan songs might be wondering. Since deer aren't standing in every field and opening near the parking lots and you actually might have to hunt one, it's not as much fun.

A closed mind keeps the truth out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page