DCNR told us PA had too many deer! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

DCNR told us PA had too many deer!

DCNR told everybody in Pennsylvania that the deer were destroying the forest because we have way too many.
Here is proof they are right! (sarcasm)

Here is the fence that was put up in the State forest to keep the "herds" of deer out!

Kind of wierd that I didn't see any deer today.

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Sage

Re: DCNR told us PA had too many deer!

And your point is? I am really at a loss as to what you are trying to prove, or show. That is a prepared site to give the seedling a head start with less competition fom unwanted plants, hence the herbicide. Take a picture next fall and post it to see the difference.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

John,

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 PM
The Man

JohnS Please dont introduce facts into a armchair biologist non-factual rant......It really takes all the fun out of it....Jeeze

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 PM
The Man

It wouldn't matter if there were herds of deer or not. It takes very few deer too keep emerging growth mowed down in a decent sized area. I loved trapping deer up in he big woods. We would encounter people all the time that old us we were wasting our time. The look on their faces was priceless we would show them all the active collars on the deer in th area. Just because you didnt see them, doesn't mean they aren't there

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 PM
The Man

Its certain some advice is never taken.

I wonder who's been harvesting those DMAP deer? Somebody keeps getting those permits for fictitious deer on state forest lands. Maybe those people know something.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Sage

In the summer of 2002, dozens of us HPA members went on a habitat tour on the SF that adjoins the Grand Canyon (up the West Rim Trail). Pretty much an all day event and very educational.

The first area we spent time at, was a fenced exclosure that had very good regen inside the fenced area. Most of it had been close to a clear cut several years previously (several mature trees had been left in place to foster desirable regen, so it wasn't a total clear cut). Parts of it resemebled a jungle, as the growth was very dense in some areas, depending on what was prospering there.

Outside the fence, clear evidence of severe browsing on the same vintage cut that wasn't fenced. Every oak stump was devoid of sprouts, any other regen was also browsed into oblivion. So there were enough deer there to show the difference in what occured inside the fence and what went on, outside.

My favorite comments on such exclosures, are the ones saying "Sure the outside was browsed-off, the deer couldn't get to the inside".

Yet some still deny the adverse effects deer can have on forest regen, ridicule deer exclosures and the reasons they exist in some areas.

The next stop on the tour, was an area farther north that had once been fenced, but no longer was. Desirable species had been able to mature enough, that deer cold no longer affect them, then the fence was removed. Good mast production and many other benefits from regen that was allowed to grow, rather than be eaten into oblivion.

Many of us figured out the "why" parts of such measures long ago and why it also became necessary to bring down deer numbers at the turn of the decade in many areas of PA.

Others? Not so much. But I reckon if your personal bottom line is limited to always seeing "enough" deer each fall, then ya probably don't spend much time worrying about anything else other than that? No worries about a sustainable habitat to ensure good wildlife numbers for years to come, just "gimme what I want right now".

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
And your point is? I am really at a loss as to what you are trying to prove, or show. That is a prepared site to give the seedling a head start with less competition fom unwanted plants, hence the herbicide. Take a picture next fall and post it to see the difference.
Well John, I'm not sure on what side of the deer debate your on, but if you subscribe to the PA Outdoor News and read the letters to the editor section that has "deer are an endangered species" letter in every issue, I'm not that extreme. I'm all for proper deer management and a healthy herd. I also think the antler restrictions were the best thing they implimented. As for the fence, The Gallitzin State Forest has been clearcutting 10 acre sections and fencing it off for at least 16 years and I've seen the dense vegitation as a result. But, they increased the DMAP allocation here again this year and I'm just not noticing an increase in the numbers of deer to show a reason for it. I know I won't see the huge numbers I use to se like my first year of hunting in 1978 and saw 70 doe on the first day of buck season. I do realize deer do have an adverse affect on the forest but, geez oh man, I had a trail cam out for 3 weeks and all I have are bear, coon, coyote and fisher pictures! I'm happy as a trapper but not as a deer hunter. Oh, wait, I did have a picture of 2 deer, that was the herd I was referring to. In the long run, I hope it does bring back the snowshoe hare population that once was here.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Part of the Community

The PA Outdoor News is a joke. The biased commentaries are good for a laugh and that's about it

If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 AM
The Man

They work for there purpose. I first seen one installed about 5 years ago a few miles from my cabin. Wondered what the heck is this. Now 5 years later they actually paid a local to remove the fence you wouldnt believe it was the same place. All kind of vegetation growing for many specis. I think it was a great idea of looking ahead and at the broad picture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page