coyotes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

coyotes

studies down south indicate yotes are having alot more of an impact on the deer herd then previously thought.i have said before pa has the same problem.
this year i'm seeing very few fawns and when i do they are singles.
let's face it,some of the more remote areas really don't get that much hunting pressure so what is keeping the populations low like in the south?coyotes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: coyotes

I agree on seeing a lot of does with just 1 fawn. We have coyotes around here, who doesn't, but didn't think they were hurting the deer too badly.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

recent studies down south admitted it's worst then previously thought.in my opinion it is the same case here in pa.but some on these forums do not think so.
maybe the anterless tags should be adjusted accordingly.where needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:16 PM
dce
Sage

How much of an impact do they have in the midwest where the yote polulation is much higher?I don't know,I'm just asking.

Predators certainly have an impact but once again,I firmly believe it's directly related to habitat.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

hi dce.not sure about the midwest.i'll try to search for that info.the south is more comparable to pa though.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRICKET
studies down south indicate yotes are having alot more of an impact on the deer herd then previously thought.i have said before pa has the same problem.
let's face it,some of the more remote areas really don't get that much hunting pressure so what is keeping the populations low like in the south?coyotes
There is also a HUGE difference in the breeding times and fawn birth windows between the southern and northern states that influence the percentage of fawn predation.

In the southern states, since fawns donít have extreme winter conditions to contend with, does breed over a much longer period of the summer and fall. That results in the annual fawn crop being dribbled out over the entire spring and summer. Which then allows for a much longer time that coyotes can catch fawns. That in turn also keeps the coyote populations both on the hunt for fawns and also in a healthier and higher population status.

In the northern states, like Pennsylvania, the majority of doe breeding, provided you have a near natural and correct buck to doe ratio, occurs over a short six-week period. That then results in a burst or flooding of fawns hitting the ground in a shorter period of time. That short flooding of fawns means predation is not going to result in as high of percentage of loss as you get when you dribble the fawning over a longer period of time as what occurs in the southern states. That narrowing of the breeding time and fawn birth window is also why it is important to have a buck/doe ratio that results in the does being bred during their first estrus cycle.

In short you simply canít compare and extrapolate fawn predation from those southern states into anything relative, meaningful or accurate to what predation is I the northern states. There are two totally different set of influences from one area to the other that make them non-relative.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:

Your refering to the South Carolina study?
We just had page after page on this subject on here. Im pretty sure RSB covered it.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
hi dce.not sure about the midwest.i'll try to search for that info.the south is more comparable to pa though.
I could be wrong but I'd think the midwest would be more comparable to our weather and habitat conditions than the south.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

rsb showed an interesting fact of different breeding times.
as for the midwest i would think it's more field/small wood lots compared to our northern counties where most is forested.south was more done in app/smokey mountain regions.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

having said that i personally still feel yotes are killing more fawns then first indicated.in the last few years it's rare for me to see twins anymore.going a few years back i used to see alot more twins.this would be a sign of predators?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page