Hunter Survey - questions and responses - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Hunter Survey - questions and responses

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/ser....de_r esults_pdf

What I don’t understand is on some of the questions between 65 and 74 the hunters provided totally contradicting answers to some of the questions.

Questions 65 – 74 asks hunters to circle one of four choices…”Agree”, “Neither agree or disagree”, “Disagree” or “I don’t know.” Below are some of the answers that I find not only interesting but in almost total and complete contraction.

Question # 65 states: “Deer populations should be managed for healthy and sustainable forest habitat.” Hunters responded with 75% agreeing and only 8% disagreeing.

Question # 66 states: “Deer populations should be managed for healthy and sustainable deer populations.” Hunters responded with 88% agreeing and only 3% disagreeing.

Question # 67 states: “Deer populations should be managed for safe and acceptable levels of deer-human conflicts.” Hunters responded with 57% agreeing and only 18% disagreeing.

Question # 69 states: “Keeping deer in balance with natural food supplies is necessary.” Hunters responded with 81% agreeing and only 5% disagreeing.

Yet on the very next few questions hunters provided contradictory responses to basically the same questions asked in a slightly different way.

Question # 70 states: “There are not enough deer unless some are starving to death each year.” 18% of the hunters agreed while only 52% disagreed and the other 30% not agreeing, disagreeing or knowing. Isn’t that a contradiction to what they had just stated in the previous question?

Then with # 72 they ask: “If needed to improve deer population health, I would accept lower deer populations and seeing fewer deer when hunting.” Here only 29% agreed while 36% disagreed with the other 35% somewhere on the fence or not knowing. Isn’t that a contraction to the 88% that agreed when asked question # 66?

Question # 73 asks: “If needed to improve habitat conditions, I would accept lower deer populations and seeing fewer deer when hunting.” With this question only 27% agreed, 37% disagreed and once again 35% were on the fence or didn’t know what they thought. How I that not in contradiction to the way they answered question # 65?

Question # 74 asks: “If needed to reduce deer-human conflicts, I would accept lower deer populations and seeing fewer deer when hunting.” In this one hunters did almost a complete flip-flop from their response to question # 67 with only 17% agreeing, 51% disagreeing and this time only 32% being on the fence or not knowing what to think. Once again though the answer is in contradiction to the way they had answered # 67.

I guess this leaves me really questioning just what hunters are saying with their answers to the deer population questions. Are they saying that even though they understand the importance of having deer populations in balance with their own habitat and food supplies they still don’t care if the deer populations or their food supplies are sustainable when it means they will not see as many deer as they wish could survive without food and habitat? It really leaves me kind of questioning just what the hunters really think or know about the realities of nature or how the deer/habitat/food relationships mesh together. Do hunters not see them as connected in any way? Don’t they care or is it that they really don’t understand it? I am scratching my head over what those contradictions in hunter responses really mean.

Dick Bodenhorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Hunter Survey - questions and responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B.
I guess this leaves me really questioning just what hunters are saying with their answers to the deer population questions. Are they saying that even though they understand the importance of having deer populations in balance with their own habitat and food supplies they still don’t care if the deer populations or their food supplies are sustainable when it means they will not see as many deer as they wish could survive without food and habitat? It really leaves me kind of questioning just what the hunters really think or know about the realities of nature or how the deer/habitat/food relationships mesh together. Do hunters not see them as connected in any way? Don’t they care or is it that they really don’t understand it? I am scratching my head over what those contradictions in hunter responses really mean.

Dick Bodenhorn
What it means above all else if the majority of hunters want to see deer when hunting and when there not hunting they dont much think about them.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Banned

I think after 25 questions (maybe less) most people are just rushing to finish and are not giving much thought to what they said prior. Some may not even have read the question thoroughly when this many questions are asked.

IMO, less questions = better results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You could read a lot of different things into these answers. Maybe (and i'm just guessing here) they thought that some of the questions were worded to see if hunters would be happy with less deer, or less deer to improve the habitat for other animals?

The bottom line is most of us understand that there has to be a balance between deer and habitat, but most of us would also like to see more deer when hunting.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Btw: If I was asked to take this survey I would be insulted by question 70. I would have to wonder why they would make such a statement. That might make me suspicous about the other questions. Maybe thats just me.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 AM
Banned

Most don't care, bottom line. They truly believe deep down that there never was a problem and that everything is a conspiracy.

I have met enough of these people to know what goes on in their minds about this stuff.

It also amazes me how many people still buy into these old "wives tales" and decades old deer science. The old "kill a doe, kill three deer", "a spike is always a spike", etc.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 AM

72,73,and 74 would have received a higher percentage of agreement if they kept the but there will be "more like this", (wave antlers), in the question. But since it was not a visual test they could have said an ate pointer on every meat pole to get the same results. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
The old "kill a doe, kill three deer",
How is that a tale? What is old about that science? Waugh!

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 AM
Banned

Where is the adage about killing bucks? "Kill a buck, kill how many deer"?
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 AM

"A" buck means one deer. Math is a science. Waugh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page