Couldn't believe my eyes.... Tag Allocation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Couldn't believe my eyes.... Tag Allocation

Was reading the recent issue of PON last evening, and just couldn't believe my eyes. After 10 years under the "new format" of AR/HR, the following is how Deer Management has evolved. This is the new management technique, based on 10 years of study........... RANDOM SURVEYS OF THE STATES RESIDENTS. The PGC is will be issuing LESS tags in units 2B, 5C, and 5B. Here's why. Direct quote.

"For years, the objective has been to reduce Deer numbers in those highly urban, populated areas. That's no longer the case.

The Change was prompted by the random survey of state residents
done this winter for the commission by Responsive Management. It showed that most people are OK with the number of Deer out there right now. In unit 2B, for example, 52 percent of those surveyed indicated the Deer population was "just right". 9 percent said it was "too low", and 32 percent said it was "too high".

The commission's change is a reflection of that, said Chris Rosenberry, chief deer biologist for the agency."

......... Science ???

If ANY WMU needs reduction, it's 2B. Can't speak for the other two special regs., but I suspect they are the same. In 2G, where I'm hearing from camp owners things like, "The Deer are coming back some", and "It's not good, but it is getting a bit better", the biologists recommended 43,000 tags, up from 23,000 last year. The board settled on 33,000. Was this based on science ? Was it the same state resident random survey science ?

I'm no PGC knocker. I praise them more than not. But you've got to be kidding me. Even if the decision for the special regs. WAS based on a random citizen survey, as lead biologist, why publicly admit it ? I think there needs to be a PR shake-up on Elmerton.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Re: Couldn't believe my eyes.... Tag Allocation

I'm with you on this one Fleroo!

I read that just like you did....I felt the same way too.

Years and years of science this, science that and all and then a random survey and they make changes based on it?

BUT, they didn't like the citizen advisory folks' recommendations?

I've pretty much went from being very supportive of the PGC to being on the fence to being basically opposed out of principle. They've taken plenty of folks like me that want to believe in them and trust them and simply just screwed us over and pushed us away. This type of thing is the reason they lose support.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

It certainly was a "Did I just read that ?" moment.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 AM

I kind of remember saying out loud: "Really?"

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 01:03 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo
It certainly was a "Did I just read that ?" moment.
yup

2F for a while...
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 01:18 PM
RB
Sage

Did 2B ever sell out anyway??? I mean that was one of those over the counter WMUs pretty much all season long correct?

If it is not selling out, then reducing the tags to a point of where they sell out, seems like a great PR move to me in that it does not really effect harvest since unsold tags don;t get filled anyway and you can give the "no deer left" crowd or survey takers a warm and fuzzy they are beign heard (after all that is what PR and bashing both are...preception).

If it did sellout and those tags were getting filled then it makes no sense to me either.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

You lost me there John. I was completely mesmerized at focusing on this......

"For years, the objective has been to reduce Deer numbers in those highly urban, populated areas. That's no longer the case.

The Change was prompted by the random survey of state residents done this winter for the commission by Responsive Management. It showed that most people are OK with the number of Deer out there right now. In unit 2B, for example, 52 percent of those surveyed indicated the Deer population was "just right". 9 percent said it was "too low", and 32 percent said it was "too high".

The commission's change is a reflection of that, said Chris Rosenberry, chief deer biologist for the agency."

Whether they sell all the tags every year is kind of a moot point after reading that, and understanding that their decision was based on a random survey..... and of commom citizens at that.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Sage

What happened to the folks who've been hammering "scientific deer management" for the past 12 years, while demanding that social aspects (aka public opinion) must <span style="font-style: italic">also</span> be part of the management plan?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Dunno Denny, my guess is that HPA lacks traffic in myd-May, and you won't see much of a reaction to this at all..... which is a good thing for the PGC right now. If they're lucky, the broom will keep it contained under the rug for the most part. It's a bizzare approach to allocating tags anybody must admit. But what's more bizzare to me is admitting it, and throwing it out to media land. At least fib about it. How will Feaser mitigate this one.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

By the way, Frye wrote the piece. If they're VERY lucky, maybe he entirely botched the quotes.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page