I guess I blame the PGC ??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 270 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

I guess I blame the PGC ???

Don't want to comment on the RedTag thread, as it was started to rejoice in the fact that a Deer is harvested, so, I'll start another. My guess is that the voting split of sportsman would weigh much more heavy to the side of being against Red Tag opportunities so this "late" in a Doe's pregnancy stage... or even immediately after she drops. I won't fault a person for taking advantage of a legal opportunity, so I guess I'll toss the blame at the agency that is implementing the program. I mean, if they want them all dead, can it not be done in a more moralistic fashion ? I mean let those that need to kill more after our routine seasons do it, but have a respite at least during late-stage pregnancy until after what should be an adequate time an orphaned Fawn has at least a 50/50 shot at survival on it's own. This really bugs me that the PGC feels there is a need to do this during such a timeframe. I understand a farmers need to curtail crop damage, but I believe there are provisions in place yearround for them to do just that, aside from a RedTag program. I really hope they can amend this program, and inject a bit more civility into it.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 270 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 AM

Re: I guess I blame the PGC ???

I agree with you 100% and that is coming from someone who's family's property is enrolled. We curtail it on our own, but we shouldn't have to. Seasons should be closed PERIOD during these times. People knocking on our doors right now get turned away and their faces are remembered. They more than likely will never gain access in the future due to their insensitivity at this time of year.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 270 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4c_game_chaser
I agree with you 100% and that is coming from someone who's family's property is enrolled. We curtail it on our own, but we shouldn't have to. Seasons should be closed PERIOD during these times. People knocking on our doors right now get turned away and their faces are remembered. They more than likely will never gain access in the future due to their insensitivity at this time of year.
That's one of the most hypocritical statements I've ever read!

You hold judgement over someone that seeks to utilize the program you're a part of? Only at certain times and because they can't read your mind at that? Here's a thought for you holier-than-thou moral crusaders....don't enroll in a program that YOU KNOW crosses your moral lines! And for God's sake don't judge those who are trying to help you out!

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 270 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned

Why blame the PGC...why not blame the PA Farm Bureau?
post #5 of 270 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:00 PM
RB
Sage

IMO, It is a control method period. Pretty much like the sharpshooters being sent to state parks, or even someones BMer flying down the surburban street taking out a doe that is carrying twins. Out of all those methods of control, I like Red Tag the best. However you would never find me doing any deer trigger time in Feb-August of any year, if my place was in dire need of control I would let someone in to do so via Red tag. But luckily Fall seasons are all we need here.

There is a reason hunting season is in the Fall and not the spring, not only in PA but everywhere. Harvesting a deer in the spring is not for good hide, good body weight, it is to knock down the numbers. When it comes to getting a particular herd under control, sounds cruel to some, but do it when there are four hooves on the ground to flee , not 12.

In tha habitat forum, there is post of fawn that got hit while cutting hay...my reaction to that pic tells me I am no red tag hunter. But I am far from blasting the program.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #6 of 270 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Why blame the PGC...why not blame the PA Farm Bureau?
Because the PA Farm Bureau are not the legislative body that makes the regs. You're telling me the PFB is 100% adamant that Doe MUST BE killed in their final gestation period ? I know they have clout (based on SH alone), but come on.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 270 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4c_game_chaser
That's one of the most hypocritical statements I've ever read!

You hold judgement over someone that seeks to utilize the program you're a part of? Only at certain times and because they can't read your mind at that? Here's a thought for you holier-than-thou moral crusaders....don't enroll in a program that YOU KNOW crosses your moral lines! And for God's sake don't judge those who are trying to help you out!
Jason, when the decision becomes mine as a whole, we will not be enrolled. Currently I don't hold full say over it so instead I interjected restrictions.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #8 of 270 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-HPA
IMO, It is a control method period. Pretty much like the sharpshooters being sent to state parks, or even someones BMer flying down the surburban street taking out a doe that is carrying twins. Out of all those methods of control, I like Red Tag the best. However you would never find me doing any deer trigger time in Feb-August of any year, if my place was in dire need of control I would let someone in to do so via Red tag. But luckily Fall seasons are all we need here.

There is a reason hunting season is in the Fall and not the spring, not only in PA but everywhere. Harvesting a deer in the spring is not for good hide, good body weight, it is to knock down the numbers. When it comes to getting a particular herd under control, sounds cruel to some, but do it when there are four hooves on the ground to flee , not 12.

In tha habitat forum, there is post of fawn that got hit while cutting hay...my reaction to that pic tells me I am no red tag hunter. But I am far from blasting the program.
This is well said and how I feel about it as well.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #9 of 270 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Sage

It is a freakin program authorized by a permit to control deer damage. People look at it as a season, <span style="font-weight: bold">it is not a season</span> it is a time frame when the permit is valid. If you have a philosophical problem with the <span style="font-weight: bold">program</span> don't participate in it either as a landowner permitee or as a subpermitee shooter. It is entirely hypocritical for anyone to criticise the program and then participate in any deer season where pregnant doe are killed. The permit is not valid during the peak fawning period to minimize taking does that have dropped fawns.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 270 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM

4C, I don't want to make it a personal thing. This isn't just for you, it's for anyone that would follow the same type of action.

That said, it isn't the restrictions that you place that bother me. It's holding your morals over someone else's head just for asking to hunt there. Then denying them access later....and all for following the rules. That in and of itself is lacking moral character....it's nothing but bait and switch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page