Frequent Contributor

Is Alt being held captive in WV.?

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/johnmccoy...tlerless-deer/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 03:41 PM
New Arrival

Re: Is Alt being held captive in WV.?

How is bringing balance to a deer heard a bad thing.Just because their were more deer in the old days doesnt mean it was right

one shot meat two shots maybe meat three shots no meat
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

I could answer that, but ------ Oh, never mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampLife01
How is bringing balance to a deer heard a bad thing.Just because their were more deer in the old days doesnt mean it was right
Lets hope it is done correctly or they will be having to many split seasons like this state trying to get deer numbers a little more in line.
In another thread a hunter said all these assumptions on deer numbers by biologist etc. are two different opinions, I think the poster was right it falls in between and many places could and should hold more deer.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Sage

Not a thing wrong with the way reduction was done in PA. Deer management is not an exact science and it isn't done in controlled circumstances and the animals being managed are not static. I would rather have an over reduction which is no big deal and can be readily corrected than to do it in dribbles and spurts so the habitat is not given relief to rebound. The quicker the habitat rebounds, the quicker the herd will be allowed to grow. The problem is we are dealing with a society with no patience who want instant results and instant gratification and hunters who think deer are the most important thing in their lives and they would rather see too many deer than see a balance between deer and habitat.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
The problem is we are dealing with a society with no patience who want instant results and instant gratification and hunters who think deer are the most important thing in their lives and they would rather see too many deer than see a balance between deer and habitat.
And to add to that; Much of the current "problem", is the perception of many that the huge numbers of deer we had in many areas by the late 90s was a good thing and needed to continue forever.

If anything, HR should've been more seriously addressed several years earlier.

I know others have different takes on how things went in their areas during the "bonus tag" years, but they did little to reduce burgeoning deer numbers where I've hunted since 1960, despite large numbers of doe taken during some of those years via extra tags.

A three day doe season was never efficient enough to reliably reduce deer numbers, especially with a bad weather day or two thrown in? I recall one of those years with heavy rains, when they extended doe season to the following Saturday.

We went back up to camp and there were hardly any hunters out at all that Saturday, other than us and a few local folks. An extra day did virtually nothing that year, to reduce doe numbers.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Not a thing wrong with the way reduction was done in PA. Deer management is not an exact science and it isn't done in controlled circumstances and the animals being managed are not static. I would rather have an over reduction which is no big deal and can be readily corrected than to do it in dribbles and spurts so the habitat is not given relief to rebound. The quicker the habitat rebounds, the quicker the herd will be allowed to grow. The problem is we are dealing with a society with no patience who want instant results and instant gratification and hunters who think deer are the most important thing in their lives and they would rather see too many deer than see a balance between deer and habitat.
Not certain if you are familiar with 2A. Most hunters get a 2A doe tag and go out to the country when there are deer and plenty of them outside the cities with easy access. It cuts the deer way down in 1 area and makes it very lopsided, the WMUs need reduced and tags drawn up so hunters hit the whole WMU not just the same areas. I seen 7 doe in the roadside just Saturday evening within 3 miles of the city of Washington, while I am seeing fewer and fewer in the farmland along the interstate. Another reason I feel is the average age hunter is near 50 and most like to use a centerfire rifle.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Denny I remember the year they gave us the extra Saturday, it was the late 80s if I remember right. Me and a buddy went back to pike county on a road trip for the day and both of us got doe on state game land. You are correct, nobody was in the woods that day. Funny now, some 20 odd years later, and I remember everything we did that day.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 PM

I think savage_axis has a valid point about the "lopsided" kills, good word for it. With the big WMUs, more difficult to focus more pressure where it's needed and to limit it a bit where it's not needed as much.

But as John S said, not an exact science and the deer herd is not static, another good description. In an ideal world with unlimited resources to manage game, it could be done by township but that's wishful thinking. Hard enough to assess the situation as it is.

Any time there is significant change it will take a while for things to settle to a new equilibrium, we're probably just starting to see that a little in PA.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 AM

we need more deer in alot of areas. get out a little around pa and see what areas are depleted of deer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page