Former USP Leader - If I Ran The Deer Program - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Former USP Leader - If I Ran The Deer Program

<span style="font-style: italic">Greg Levengood, of Boyertown, is one of the longest standing critics of deer management by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. Until the past few years, when opposing voices like his fell off in general at commission meetings, he had been a regular there since the late 1990s. From 2004-08 he was chairman of the board of directors of the Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania, consistently opposed to the handling of deer management by the commission.

</span>

Q: If you had complete authority to make all deer management decisions for Pennsylvania, what would you do with the deer management program?

A: That would be like a dream come true. I would call a meeting and say the first issue we are going to address is deer management because it is the most important and contentious issue that the Game Commission has. From now on we're going to have a deer management plan that will be completely transparent with full disclosure. We're going to make this real simple so that everyone can understand, farmers, hunters, the general public, even outdoor writers.

I want to know three things. No. 1: ..............

http://blog.pennlive.com/pa-sportsman/20...nnsylvania.html

Follow the link.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Former USP Leader - If I Ran The Deer Program

Managing the deer for the forest or managing the forest for the deer is their a difference?

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Sage

If you can't see the forest through the trees, you can bet your butt there is a deer in there somewhere.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 PM

Hmmm, interesting. Sounds like Greg is now for what the USP was once against? Some will never be satisfied unless they are in charge I guess.
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Sage

Nah, sounds to me like he's still stuck on the same old "We <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> have more deer" mantra that Col. Slinsky tutored him on, about 12 years ago?

Nothing much has changed. Those who reveled in seeing lots of deer on opening days by the late 1990s, still demand to see more deer than they've been seeing since HR reduced deer numbers in many areas.

The only things that have changed with this bunch, is their constant search for some new ways to demand the same thing: More deer. There are already more deer in many areas where habitats have improved.

There are still fewer deer in many other areas, for a variety of reasons: Continuing poor habitats; Concentrations of hunters, due to access or prefered hunting spots, etc.

Nothing much ever really changes here in PA when it comes to deer hunter complaints. Consider that some were complaining about "no deer" back when our herd numbers peaked and that's really about all one needs to understand.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for posting Bluetick, I haven't followed this USP thing very closely, but after reading the post and reading the posters on here over the years, it seems my suspicions were right. The truth probably is somewhere in the middle.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

The truth is a scarce commodity, and not really a desirable one anyway. If the truth is not what one wants it to be it is obviously not the truth and the truth must lie somewhere else. Did I sumarize that fairly well for you?
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Spin is the name of the game.Politicians have raised it to an art form over the past few decades.
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Agreed, Lonzo. Plenty of it exists outside of politics, but they are the masters of the game.
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

These guys don't get it that deer, and deer hunting, is NOT THE most important thing going on in the state, nor is it a right, it's a privilege. It already has been removed as a legal activity in some areas, and replaced with culling. They continually act like they are owed something. Continually supporting a large deer herd for a few weeks of recreation/yr. is ridiculous. I've been waiting for the Farm Bureau to sue the State over feeding all these deer by landowners - not encouraging it at all, but curious as to when some lawyer would get on it.

Sounds to me like he just needed to get back into the spotlight - not even sure what he's saying there. And exactly where,if he was the King, would he come up with the funding for another "inventory" as he calls it, when the gov't is largely broke?? Real leader material there.....nice tie tho!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page