Pope Youg - Boone Crocket PA Numbers Up - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Pope Youg - Boone Crocket PA Numbers Up

More Pennsylvania bucks are hitting the record books than ever before, and officials say antler restrictions are only one reason why.

The two major organizations for recording trophy whitetails both report an increase over the last several years both on the national level and in the number of entries from Pennsylvania.

The Boone and Crockett Club reported a 400 percent increase in trophy whitetail entries over the last 30 years. From 1980-85, 617 whitetails made it into the Boone and Crockett record book.

From 2005-10, that number jumped to 3,090.

From 1980-85, Pennsylvania was tied for last among states and Canadian provinces with no entries. For the period 2005-10, Pennsylvania ranked 20th on the list with 26 entries.

Pennsylvania also had more entries than any of its bordering states with the exception of Ohio, which listed 215 entries and placed fourth overall.

Balfourd said the antler restrictions enacted by the Pennsylvania Game Commission that took effect in 2002 had an impact on the number of trophy deer harvested in the state.

The Pope and Young Club, which maintains a records program for big game animals taken with archery equipment (longbows, recurves and compound bows only), has also experienced a steep hike in the number of entries both nationally and from Pennsylvania.

Pope and Young records trophy data in two-year periods, and from 1999-2000, 91 typical Pennsylvania archery bucks made the record book. In 2003-04 after antler restrictions were implemented, 162 Pennsylvania bucks qualified for the Pope and Young book. The number stayed constant until 2009-10, when it jumped to 207. Pennsylvania ranks 11th overall for contributing bucks to the Pope and Young record book.

Nationally, in 1999-2000, the club recorded 3,875 trophy archery bucks, compared to 5,084 from 2009-10.

/////

Side charts show best counties and other data.

Direct link to article

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Sage

Re: Pope Youg - Boone Crocket PA Numbers Up

I am just tired of hearing about scores.

We now have more really great bucks in PA than at any time in my lifetime, but, do we really HAVE to worry about how their scores compare to any other state?

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 PM

Less hunters massive posted land food plots and minerals main reason with a little bit of ar hr helping out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Sage

Talking about buck in inches should be prohibited on this site except for a B&C/P&Y forum, where those who are enamored with bone can go to get all goose pimply.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Have to agree with John. Whatever happened to just going hunting for huntings sake? Not trying to beat the nexts guys score. Tired of hearing I passed up a scrub or a dink buck. Havent seen any of those yet just bucks some might be smaller than others but still all deserve respect.

Dale
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 PM

if a guy tells me he got a nice 8 point, it might be a yearling or a monster. if he tells me what it scored, i have a pretty good idea how big it really is. thats all scores mean to me.

and like any other thread, look at the title & if you don't like it don't read it. simple, no?

Pence/Putin 2024
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 PM

To me its not about beating the next guys score or scoring in general. I like to hunt mature whitetails with big horns. Whats the problem with that?
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Simple is the fact since its a public forum I have the right to read and comment on any post I want. If you dont like it then feel free to not read what I post.

Dale
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 PM
The Man

Re: Pope Young - Boone Crockett PA Numbers Up

Threads replies getting a bit testy--Must be the cabin fever

Genesis 27:3
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterBuster
To me its not about beating the next guys score or scoring in general. I like to hunt mature whitetails with big horns. Whats the problem with that?
No problem. I'll do the same, but, a "big" buck is different depending on where it was raised. To compare us to some other state is a joke. A 4 year old "trophy" buck, is the same as some 4 year old buck from Illinois. They just grew up under different circumstances.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page