DCNR - Logging practice concern? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

DCNR - Logging practice concern?

I do alot of scouting..in the woods and on the computer. I have a job where I get to look at some really cool and in depth aerial photo's and maps that many never truely get to see or understand.

Anyways, in some of my "research" for work *cough cough* I noticed a pattern with DCNR clearcuts in the Potter area. They are almost exclusivly on ridgetops; mostly easy access areas. I'd hate to say it, but it almost seems like they are "cherry picking" the best areas for fastest tree removal and quickest wrap up.

Does anyone have any input on this? I have really been putting on the miles, checking out alot of these cuts, and the only real reason I can see for doing this is simply what I said above - easy pick'ins. I mean, I walk the perimeter of these cuts and there are some real money trees just down the slopes and hillsides.

If this is the case, I'm not a big fan of this at all. Kind of looks like they are just trying to make a quick buck, and not manage the habitat properly. Some of these areas had some truely massive Oak and Cherry sitting on these hillsides, that really need cut. Some truely old forests that just really need cut...but are sitting there since it may not be as cost efficient.

Sorry for the rant. I'm not complaining..yet. I want some input as to why this is. I just feel some real old forests are not only going to waste, but are also causing some very poor habitat conditions.

WMU 2G, Potter County
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: DCNR - Logging practice concern?

There is resistance among the enviro's in the agency to cut slopes. They fear erosion and don't like the system where skid trails are cut into the hillside in a switchback pattern.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Makes a little sense I guess....but we are talking 100's of thousands of acres of poor habitat...that could be easily fixed by a cut.

What a shame. It would take the carrying capacity of the forest up to new heights, and maybe take some of the heat off the PGC.

Thanks for the response, I hope to hear more or even a response from a DCNR person.

WMU 2G, Potter County
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It is not the mission of the DCNR to increase the deer population. You may argue it falls under "creating recreational opportunities". However, recreation is only part of the DCNR mission and deer are only a part of the recreation.
The DCNR represents 12 million PA residents of different interests. Only a very small % of those are deer hunters. The PGC is a different story.

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

But the "Natural Resources and Conservation" part, kind of throws a wrench in things, doesn't it? Large untouched forests are poor habitat for most animals...since there is little diversity in these conditions. But I guess it isn't there mission to create diverse habitats....although I'm not totally sure.

Again, I'm not complaining...just seeing some conditions in the forest that interested me and wondered why they did it this way.

WMU 2G, Potter County
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:11 PM
dce
Sage

They almost always get better regeneration on the ridgtops because in years of heavy snows,the deer move to lower elevations.Not sure if that's a reason or not but they can definately save money on fencing.The bad thing is,those cuts on the ridgtops do very little for the deer in the years that the deer need the browse the most.Good question though.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They do have a diversity of forest age policy. I'm sure there are those in the agency who want to cut slopes. There probably is an internal battle over this issue. One thing for sure, some of the public would raise a fit when they start the switchback skidder trail cuts. Very ugly to see.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusseyMtMan
There is resistance among the enviro's in the agency to cut slopes. They fear erosion and don't like the system where skid trails are cut into the hillside in a switchback pattern.
That's right. In Oregon I saw them logging side slopes with towers and cables etc. that did not require cutting skid trails into the hillslopes. And I also saw helicopter logging in Idaho.

But I've never seen that done in PA. I'm not sure why not. That kind of stuff is much more expensive, but what would be the difference between Oregon and PA?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
dce
Sage

I've seen helicipters skidding loggs off in Pa when logging private land that boradered Elk state forest.That was in 2001 when it wasn't as cost prohibitive.I'm sure cost is a huge issue why they don't do it that way in Pa.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
That kind of stuff is much more expensive, but what would be the difference between Oregon and PA?
Probably the economical factor. In Oregon, they're more than likely pulling 3,000 large Ponderosa Pine up those cables from one cut site. In Pa, it's more like 300 Cherry/Oak. Hard to justify a setup like that unless you're really pulling the lumber I reckon..... just a thought.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page