Wildlife Management Units - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Wildlife Management Units

Apparently the topic of WMU "size" was brought up during the public input segment of the PGC meeting the other day. One of the commissioners was said to have stated something about PGC staff looking into it. Can anyone clarify that was there, or knows anything about this? Are they looking into the possibility of restructuring the units over all making them smaller? Many of them? Just one or two?

I strongly support smaller units, and think it would be a step in the right direction, imho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 PM

Re: Wildlife Management Units

I believe I read that one of the PGC biologists said that recommendations for some changes to some of the WMU's would be announced at the June meeting. I don't think they addressed how many or which ones.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Sage

The subject of size was brought up because of comments Dr. Susan Stout made regarding the land she and Ken Kane manage at the KQDC.

It was also suggested (prior; by me and others) that some units be split, such as 2B, so areas with high deer density could be targeted removing pressure from the remainder of the WMU.

I understand one of the BOC's (at least) has some concern about the size of WMU 2G as well.

Beyond that, not much being said.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Sage

It was during the Deer / Elk Staff report.

It is time for the WMU's to be evaluated again.

It was commissioner Delaney that asked about the possible restructuring.

Dr. Rosenberry said that they have completed the staff input from staff at all levels. They are now updating maps with population shifts and other census data.

No WMU's have been identified for changes based on the actual process at this point. As I heard it - not saying much... - the process results will be presented later this year. I did not hear a specific meeting.

It is well known by all, that many want changes in the WMU's.

For well over two years, in addition to the other sportsmen, the forest industry joined in the call for making 2G smaller. Either two separate units or a sub-unit. They also mention 2F, 4E and 3B.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=619923&mode=2

From the dialog, it appears the Deer Section is the lead section on this. But the other wildlife sections are involved. From the power point presentation, it was noted over and over - that these changes could affect seasons, bag ,limits, and management plans for all critters. Just a heads up if changes do occur.

Try to catch the rebroadcast of the Monday session with the staff reports. It is contained in the deer section report - about the third item in on that report.

The commission usually releases a press release on meeting video broadcasts. I am sure it will be re-announced on HPA several times.

Thre only drawback to the live stream rebroadcast is unlike a regular video, you can not tab into the part you want. It rolls from front to back - you have to wait for what you want and be ready when it happens. A limitation of the IT service the GC is provided by the state.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks all for the fast, helpful replies.

Bluetick, thanks, I'll see if I can't watch that re-broadcast.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Chris Rosenberry. PGC biollogist: recommendations for changes in wildlifd manzgement units willl be proposed at June 2012 meeting
I got this June date from here. Don't know if it is accurate for sure.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...vania_gam.html

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Sage

Marcus is one of several reporters you can count on for a square story.

He was doing the Twitter update during the whole meeting. Found out Moday evening right as the site went down. Got it posted - and could never get by the Parse 995 error again -

June 2012 meeting it is then -

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 AM
Sage

Can't wait for them to start working on WMU sizes. But it will probably require most of a <span style="font-style: italic">three</span> day meeting, to get just <span style="font-style: italic">one</span> WMU done?

Considering that they spent the best part of 20 minutes the other day, haggling over the need for and boundaries of the areas relative to the extended bear season.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page