Has this happened already? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Has this happened already?

After over a decade of HR where are we? Some say they went too far, some say their stablizing,and some say we still have more to go. I think that we all can agree that how you see this depends on where and how you hunt.

After reading many hunters posts on this issue I think that their may be a problem.

In many WMUs many hunters say that their is good deer numbers on private land and few deer on public land. This is something that hasn't and isn't going to change. So what should be done about it?

It's easy for some of us to give advice to hunters who are complaining and call them bad hunters. That may be true in some cases, but is it true in all cases?

I think what needs to be done is for the PGC to determine How many deer the public land in each WMU can support and adjust the doe tags accordingly.

The PGC can't and shouldn't be able to control deer numbers on private land. I respect landowners right to do what the choose with their property, but if their actions hurt the the public lands then the PGC needs to adress this issue.

If over harvesting is occuring on public land and under harvesting is occuring on private land and the PGC sees that the doe kill was down according to their stats, and believe that more doe should have been harvested, then what good is issueing more tags for that WMU?

Another thing might be to divide the doe tags in each WMU between public/private land, What do you think?

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM

Re: Has this happened already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti
After over a decade of HR where are we? Some say they went too far, some say their stablizing,and some say we still have more to go. I think that we all can agree that how you see this depends on where and how you hunt.

After reading many hunters posts on this issue I think that their may be a problem.

In many WMUs many hunters say that their is good deer numbers on private land and few deer on public land. This is something that hasn't and isn't going to change. So what should be done about it?

It's easy for some of us to give advice to hunters who are complaining and call them bad hunters. That may be true in some cases, but is it true in all cases?

I think what needs to be done is for the PGC to determine How many deer the public land in each WMU can support and adjust the doe tags accordingly.

The PGC can't and shouldn't be able to control deer numbers on private land. I respect landowners right to do what the choose with their property, but if their actions hurt the the public lands then the PGC needs to adress this issue.

If over harvesting is occuring on public land and under harvesting is occuring on private land and the PGC sees that the doe kill was down according to their stats, and believe that more doe should have been harvested, then what good is issueing more tags for that WMU?

Another thing might be to divide the doe tags in each WMU between public/private land, What do you think?
How in the HECK would private land holding more deer hurt public land, as you so put it? I cant wait to hear this one...

WMU 2G, Potter County
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
After over a decade of HR where are we?
We've now reached the point where we can identify hunters who expect instant gratification and can recommend that they grow radishes instead of hunting. Radishes can be harvested within a time span of just twenty one days after planting, unlike balancing a whole forest and the wildlife contained therein which may take decades.

MAGA 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Sage

Are you going to rehash the same thing again? The public/private doe tags was a bad idea the first time you tried to sell it.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Archeryman22: If the PGC manages the WMUs by total deer numbers but access to the deer on private land is restricted and hunters are over harvesting public land then it hurts the public land, IF and thats a big IF the public land can support more deer. This is MY opinion I don't know if it's right, if you think i'm wrong then tell me what YOU think?

DIYASUB: I know nothing about how long it would take for a forest to show sufficent re-generation? If it hasen't been long enough then sorry.

John S: If you think it's a bad idea then tell me Why? I don't know if it is or not? that's why I'm asking.

I have never complained about the number of deer I see when I'm hunting, but I see it alot on this and other hunting sites, so IF, (another big if) there a problem I want to know about it.

post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 PM

Google "how yearling bucks disperse from their mothers". Read two or three of the articles. Then come back here and tell me that private managed land hurts public land numbers. If anything, they drastically help the deer numbers on public land.

And guess what else? If an area is public land, and is low on deer due to overhunting, who's fault is that? You blame the PGC. Hey, they just put the tags out. Police your own ranks and make sure you and your buddies quit blowing them all away.

WMU 2G, Potter County
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

archeryman32: Thanks for your reply. I didn't blame the PGC for anything, and I don't blame hunters for filling their tags either. Your right the PGC is only responsible for the tags sold in each WMU. The problem is where those tags are filled.

The PGC has no control over private land, the only way they can control deer numbers on public land is by the number of doe licences they sell.

So what if the public land can support more deer than there currently is, and the PGC decides to reduce the doe tags in that WMU, would that be a good thing for private landowners or a bad thing? That's the other side of the coin.

post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have been on HuntingPA for several years. Every year, the "we need more deer" threads start soon after rifle deer season begins. The frequency of such threads then fades the further away from rifle season we get.
It is a tired argument. I have noticed every year the posts on the subject seem to fade away more quickly with fewer paticipants, also.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Banned

Well thats not surprising given the reaction by the handful of defenders of the plan anytime anyone says a negative remark about pgc policy here.

In the real world, I see far more dissent over the deer program than there was early on, by a mile.

I also think alot more have learned to take it to their legislators instead of constantly bickering every single day on message boards for over 10 years.
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I guess it is who you hang out with. I am not hearing complaining. Rather, people I know are amazed at all the big bucks out there now. They are excited by having a great chance at a mature buck.

Support Habitat Conservation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page