PA: Long-Time B&C Scorer Reports Fewer Big Bucks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Sage

PA: Long-Time B&C Scorer Reports Fewer Big Bucks

Quote:
George Block is a well-known hunter and Boone & Crockett Official Measurer in Washington County, Pa. He also writes a weekly hunting and fishing column for the local newspaper. While hunters continue to debate whether or not Pennsylvania’s antler restrictions are working, Block states in his column this week that he has scored fewer big bucks since antler restrictions took effect in 2002.

Block scored 31 bucks this past season and only one, a road kill 12-point that scored 165, was of record-book quality. To put this number in perspective, hunters brought in 128 bucks for Block to score in 2002. He also reports that scores have dropped by approximately 10 points since then. Keep in mind that hunters in Block’s area can only shoot bucks with four or more points on one antler.
I was snooping around the NRA website and found this from 3/29/2010
PA: Long-Time B&C Scorer Reports Fewer Big Bucks

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 PM

Re: PA: Long-Time B&C Scorer Reports Fewer Big Bucks

ok, thats his observation. should be pretty easy to prove by actually looking at the number of record book entries.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

For yinz what likes to talk about facts and contrast them with opinions, here are some links:
Archery typical
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=986674&mode=2

Archery non-typical
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=986687&mode=2

firearms typical
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=986672&mode=2

firearms non-typical
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=986682&mode=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Sage

Bored Larry? This is an article from January 2011 that had many pages of discussion on HPA.

The synopsis: PA went from 14th in the record book to #9 in the record books, and they are still climbing. Spent several days last month with one of P&Y's National Directors. He said they may climb even higher next book out from all he's seen.

I think I'll take his word over George's.

http://www.qdma.com/wp-content/uploa...eport_2011.pdf

According to the record books, we had a 500% increase in the number of entries from the preceding ten years, and passed states like Kansas and Kentucky.

The records are based on per thousand square miles. If we had fewer hunters, or if hunters were slightly more selective; more deer would make it to the older age classes and we'd move up very quickly.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

He is a fool and he must have a vendeta if he can't see what AR has done for this state.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:27 AM
hdt
Banned

I thought antler restrictions weren't about big racks? We heard/hear that time and time agian.

We must all remember, it;s the "better age structure" that is important. We can't have a healthy deer herd without it.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would think they all would go together. If deer are older and more healthy, should not by default their racks be bigger, even if only as a by-product of the first two stated goals being met?
Some people will argue on a very weak position.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 PM
hdt
Banned

I am not argiuing at all. I just think it's funny that we don't hear about how the herd is so much healthier because we have older bucks running around. I guess they "mentor" the young bucks.

I like that fact that there are more decent bucks now. I passed on bucks before ARs were put into place-because I wanted to. Now hunters are forced to do the same and I don't feel they should be if antler size is not a considerstion-esp. if they only get to hunt a day or two.

The goals of ARs have nothing to do with bigger antlers. That was/is said time and time again-that is less than honest.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

I can believe it and here is why. Its kind of a high grading thing if you ask me. The problem is, we have so many hunters, so many that are disgruntled on top of that we are killing the best bucks with the best genetics more frequently.

MY OPINION... when guys were able to shoot the first legal buck with 3" of horn, they shot it and went home happy. What this meant was the genetic superior AR legal buck had a better chance to live to a longer age because guys hunted less.

Sure, population can be controlled by tag allocations but when you force guys to hunt harder to kill a buck not many are making it past 2.5, 3.5 years old tops.

We dont have the security cover that some other states(Wisconsin Swamps) to maintain a harvest of better bucks and grow the age classes. They have no ARs, they had EAB and slammed the doe's and they are shooting some giants.

A 160" deer in PA is a rare animal outside of places like Allegheny county. Whats the reason? Sanctuary!

Im a hunter that has evolved in what I want to see. I wanna hunt a 5.5 year old buck, not so much cause of the horns, but because its a different animal than a 2.5 year old.

As a person who wants to shoot older bucks, I dont agree with AR, sounds weird Im sure.

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not seeing high-grading around here. I am seeing older bucks and many people shooting their "biggest buck ever".
To be technical, would a yearling spike score as high in 3 yrs as a yearling 8 pt? Likely not. But, I don't care about score and most people I know don't, either. I think most "score" people are those who watch hunting shows, something I am strongly against.
My wall, my friends' walls, and my taxidermist's place are filling up with big, mature bucks.
That is what is different now, mature bucks are not a once in a lifetime trophy. They are becoming common. The first 10 bucks I shot in my life wouldn't add up to 2 of the last 3.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page