In response to another post about button bucks! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned

In response to another post about button bucks!

My understanding is that antler restrictions have a couple benefits. One, it increases the number of older bucks in the population, which, as I understand it, has certain biological benefits. Two, it can refocus hunting pressure on antlerless deer (along with the number of doe permits). One concern I have is that the number of button bucks killed in a given year has increases since antler restrictions were implemented. Although the number of 1 1/2 year old bucks killed has gone down, I suspect that the button buck being killed are in effect taking their place to some extent. Does the game commission feel this is a problem?

The Game Commission was concerned that button buck harvest would increase with the changes (antler restrictions & concurrent season) that occurred to deer seasons in 2001 and 2002. In an effort to help hunters identify button bucks from does, an article entitled “Consider Letting That Button Buck Walk Away” was run in the Hunting and Trapping Digest until this year. After 7 years of concurrent seasons and 6 years of antler restrictions, the percentage of button bucks in the harvest has not changed from pre-2001 levels. Button bucks consistently make up between 21-24% of the antlerless harvest annually.

This is what I could find because I don't have any old digests but it goes to show you how many read the digest. Someone told me to show them where it said let button bucks grow and here is the proof.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=585094&mode=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 PM
The Man

Re: In response to another post about button bucks!

In archery it didn,t matter cause I had a BB walk right under me.I know the circumstances are different but I could clearly see what he was even before he came close.
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:16 AM

I'm deeply torn on this subject. I have killed button bucks, but never intentionally. I can say I have passed up many more than I have killed. I have taken 1 in archery and 1 in rifle many years ago(pre AR). Wasn't proud of it, but both times I thought I was shooting does. Now being educated I have still managed to kill 2 more (post AR). Both with ML. It's not right, it doesn't help us reach our goals, but it does happen. This is why the GC makes it legal. I'd rather someone burn an antlerless tag on a button buck than to leave it in the woods.

Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

BB's have furry faces
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackawanna Fox
BB's have furry faces
Yes they do.

Semper Fi
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

In Arkansas they have antler restrictions like we do 3 points on a side or any buck with less than 2" spikes (button bucks) so if you shot a button buck you must tag it with a buck tag.Yes they can shot more then one buck a year but there button buck harvest rate has dropped, it would make guys here look twice if you had to burn your buck tag on a button buck
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Banned

A biologist's response to a question asked. A concern temporarily held by the GC. There are not rules regarding the harvesting of button bucks.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 03:34 AM
Banned

Stroupy,

Not trying to instigate an argument here, but whats wrong with shooting a button buck now versus 2 years from now when he is a legal horned buck.

As Broknaero, I also have shot two button buck during the early muzzleloader season. The one this year dressed at 95 lbs, so it was not easily recognized as this year's deer.

I don't look for button bucks to shoot, but if a doe and two button bucks offer a shot I would take the button buck. My reasons stem from a doe I shot with a bow about 25 years ago.

The doe and two button buck came under my tree stand and I shot the large doe. While I was gutting the doe, I had to keep chasing the button bucks away. As I was dragging the doe they followed me for a couple hundred yards. This had to be one of the worst feelings I ever had while hunting.

How many times have you heard a story about a button buck walking right up to people? This is probably because the mother doe was killed by a hunter or car. I feel the button bucks need the mother doe during the first year.

I think the only solution for me is to allow bucks during early muzzleloader.

Jerry
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySS
Stroupy,

Not trying to instigate an argument here, but whats wrong with shooting a button buck now versus 2 years from now when he is a legal horned buck.

As Broknaero, I also have shot two button buck during the early muzzleloader season. The one this year dressed at 95 lbs, so it was not easily recognized as this year's deer.

I don't look for button bucks to shoot, but if a doe and two button bucks offer a shot I would take the button buck. My reasons stem from a doe I shot with a bow about 25 years ago.

The doe and two button buck came under my tree stand and I shot the large doe. While I was gutting the doe, I had to keep chasing the button bucks away. As I was dragging the doe they followed me for a couple hundred yards. This had to be one of the worst feelings I ever had while hunting.

How many times have you heard a story about a button buck walking right up to people? This is probably because the mother doe was killed by a hunter or car. I feel the button bucks need the mother doe during the first year.

I think the only solution for me is to allow bucks during early muzzleloader.

Jerry
I don't like shooting them because then they won't grow to be mature it's not even about the horns same goes for a immature doe I would rather shoot big deer that mean something not puppy sized ones.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getinearly
A biologist's response to a question asked. A concern temporarily held by the GC. There are not rules regarding the harvesting of button bucks.
I never said it was a rule but they advised you to pass them up you said to show you like I was making it up I don't make things up just wanted to inform you on that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page