NEW PGC Rules for Deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

NEW PGC Rules for Deer

Alright guys and gals. I wanna throw some ideas out there for everyone to hash and bash. TO make this very clear from the beginning I hunt all my deer for 20+ yrs on gamelands in Tioga CO. Not a private 1000 acre piece in Lancaster Co or elsewhere.

To fix most of the "problems" we percieve in PA there needs to be a major change in how we hunt deer. I think--for now anyway-- this is how it should be done.
1) If you want to shoot a buck you need to shoot a doe in the same WMU first. Yank the 2 front teeth out and mail them in with your report card. Then your buck tag will be issued. 4 pts on one side statewide. Juniors and Seniors and A.F. excepted.
2) No shooting ANY does after whatever the PGC wants to call the first week PRIOR to the rut.
3) Add $10 to the GL fee. ALL this money would go for habitat improvements on Gamelands and PALP lands. No admin fees, PGC billboards, new roadkill carriers, studies of bog turtles etc... What I am specifically thinking is getting prescribed burns done in the forests, exclosures in some of these areas, maybe even lime in the easier accesible places since all the acid rain guys seem to think that is the problem and lime can't ever hurt in our situation. I'm talking low input cost/ high return/ more sweat and physical work than usual. I know you PGC folks out there work hard but a majority of it is on the enforcement and academic side. The total number of food and cover personel is very low considering the amount of ground they mangage.
4) NO FOOD PLOTS. Input and maintenece costs are too high for the return we get. Those are in my opinion a total waste of our G.L. money. I'd be o.k. with SOME road building to allow access so it could be timbered more cost effectively. This is NOT a trophy management thing either. A honest trophy hunting program doesn't let you shoot bucks less than 4.5 years old. As a state we got a ways to go before that would be a problem.

Go ahead-- pick this apart. I'm hoping something constructive will come out of this thread that can be taken to PGC meeting.
Anyone that feels they need to make personal attacks on ANYONE please keep your fingers off the keyboard. You are not welcome. I know we ain't all gonna agree but play nice please!
While we're at it, I've noticed lots of folks complaining in other threads about no changes in 10 years, decimated deer herds etc... For all of you---what in your mind is an appropriate timeline to expect to see the changes YOU want to see?
I have volunteered at lot of MY time and will continue to do so on Game Lands building brushpiles, setting up and taking down exclosures, cutting fencerows etc. I think the PGC should open more of these opportunities up to us G.L. holders in some manner too. I strongly feel if you got time to complain then you also got time to help fix the problem if the avenue to do so is available and I also feel that not everyone is aware of how to get involved with these type of projects on public lands. Joining a PF, NWTF, RGS etc... chapter is a great place start but there should be others.

Thanks all!

Let it fly!!

Providing PA landowners with professional habitat strategies
PTA Dist 11
SFI #5899
QDMA LCPI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: NEW PGC Rules for Deer

most of the food plots on gl i hunt are planted and maintained by nwtf and qdma. so no waste there. getting rid of some of the dead timber at the harrisburg pgc headquarters would help more than anything. they are the highest paid and do the least in the field for game.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Part of the Community

I do like your idea of the doe before buck. I believe this would get a lot more guys out there and in turn get the doe numbers down which is what seems like they want to do. It would also lead to less bucks being taken and mainly the guys who want to go out and buck hunt would be the ones out there and they would be the ones who would for the most part allow those bucks to grow.

If its outdoors I'm willing to give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Sage

All I can say is that I absolutely hate "earn a buck", which is what you have proposed.

In some areas of this state, there is no need to reduce the deer herd, it is in stablization mode, not reduction mode. EAB is reduction mode.

Plus, there are MANY people that will never kill a doe, ever. So, we would be eliminating them from the hunting ranks. Not good. There are enough people in this state right now to control the deer population in MOST areas. Give them the tags and time they need, that is all that is needed.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

No earn a buck - but I would like to see rifle buck season shortened to one week - after a one week rifle doe season. This would eliminate much of the carnival atmosphere associated with the first day of buck - and hunters would actually need to hunt to kill a buck.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Agreed and considered Dutch. I am with you on the EAB thing too. Hadn't considered that this stuff may not need be applied statewide but could be by WMU to make a good healthy mess. The one reason I had for that EAB thinking is making us as hunters give the PGC accurate doe harvest numbers since so many folks seem to feel numbers are skewed. I did consider the losing hunters part too and still not sure how I feel on that. The hard line side of me says if you want it bad enough they'll pony up and shoulder the load of fixing this. The other side of me says don't be so freakin hardcore- we do this for fun, relaxation etc.. We can't afford to lose any!
The other reason tho for EAB was the timing of the breeding and having to have the paperwork in and accounted for prior to rifle opener.

Providing PA landowners with professional habitat strategies
PTA Dist 11
SFI #5899
QDMA LCPI

post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Banned

Limited buck tags by draw only.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Banned

The problem that I see is that too many are ONLY concerned about deer and deer hunting. The PGC and the DCNR are not soley committed to deer nor should they be. Simply wanting more deer out there to make deer hunters happy is not a very good approach.

Actually, I have no problem with the EAB program.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

we needto kill less doe
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would like to know what game lands you are hunting in tioga county? of all areas, up north needs nothing more then habitat management and less doe killing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page