Still have a loooong way to go. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Still have a loooong way to go.

It's unreal to me the thinking and mindset of so many people 10 years after AR/HR. They are still dragging out the old tired arguments and "facts" that their grandaddy preached to them and they are adamantly against anything new no matter how much science backs it up.

Here is a letter to the editor of out local newspaper. This is not an isolated letter either and I hear firsthand many guys still spouting this stuff.

Alt to blame for deer rules

I just wanted to thank Gary Alt, Pennsylvania Deer Management section supervisor, for ruining deer hunting in Pennsylvania. By not allowing hunters to shoot small buck, he forced them to shoot does. Every doe killed this year reduces the population by two or three deer next year.
I have seen the deer herds steadily decline over the years, as well as the number of hunters steadily decline. This means lost revenue for Pennsylvania, because of reduced license sales. If he truly wanted "trophy bucks," he would allow hunters to only shoot small bucks, thus allowing the large bucks with good genetics the opportunity to continue breeding.
He stole the joy of seeing wildlife away from our youth. I hope the big bonus check he received from auto insurance companies was worth it. Look out Wisconsin, he is heading your way.

WOW, it would almost be funny if this guy wasn't serious. It is unreal just how people continue to come up with this stuff! I don't know where to begin with that letter, so many falsehoods and conspiracies it's crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 12:25 PM
dce
Sage

Re: Still have a loooong way to go.

I was at a 4H meeting with my daughter last night and sat around BSing with a couple pretty decent guys.These are normal,intellegent guys.The one guy just went on and on about how he hated WCO's.Neither really complained about the lack of deer but the one guys just hated WCO's.The other guy,who's a great person went home and got a trail cam picture of a mountain lion.As soon as I looked at it,there wasn't the slightest doubt that it was a bobcat.I honestly couldn't even imagine how someone could see it as anything esle.This picture was on a local website and the whole area is convinced it was a mountain lion.The other guy went on about mountain lions killing horses and WCO's showing up to get the chipped lion after the farmer shot it.I seriosuly can't believe that so mnay people are convinced this crap is true.I tried biting my toungue as long as I could but ended up getting into a lightly heated debate with the guy.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Been there done that on the mt lion. People WANT to believe they are here because it would make the PGC look bad.

Support Habitat Conservation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 PM
dce
Sage

Believing in the possibility of them being here is one thing.Being convinced that the PGC put a micro chip in it's head and tracked it to a farmers barn is something else.This guy truly believed it.The other guy believed they were here but didn't seem to buy into the conspiacy theories.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 11:23 PM

folks beleive what they want to beleive, facts & common sense matter not. for proof, look at our last presidential election.

trask, i'm beginning to beleive part of it is folks looking for a reason they didn't "get one." easier to blame the pgc than look in the mirror for the reason.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
I just wanted to thank Gary Alt, Pennsylvania Deer Management section supervisor, for ruining deer hunting in Pennsylvania.
Lets see, Alt has been gone 7 years now and these people think he's still in charge?

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Not only do some still think he is in charge, they think that the PGC is cross-breeding wolves and coyotes and stocking them to kill all the deer (little do they know that the eastern coyote actually is a cross breed between a wolf, always has been). Actually heard two guys that said they were fishing in Canada several years back and witnessed a PGC truck with a horse trailer on the back loading up wolves to bring back here. Heard another guy say that his buddy drove the livestock truck full of turkeys to Colorado to exchange them with the Division of Wildlife out there for a load of coyotes. I've heard people claim to have shot coyotes with serial numbers tatooed on their gums.

I've heard people claim that they witnessed the PGC releasing Mt. Lions here in Pa.

I've heard people claiming that they have seen the PGC spraying Miracle Grow in the fenced in enclosures on SGLs to make them appear to grow better than that exposed to deer.

I've heard the conspiracy theories about the auto insurance companies "buying off" the PGC to kill all the deer just like our friend in the letter claims.

I have heard guys claim that the bucks are getting smaller in their areas since ARs were implemented.

What really boggles my mind though are antique claims about "having to kill all the small, inferior bucks and let the big ones pass on their genes". It's totally false and there is not a biologist out there that will agree with this assessment. Deer have the same genetics from when they are a 1.5 old spike to when they are a 5.5 yr old 12 point. Spikes and forkhorns are not inferior deer.

The "kill a doe, kill three deer" gem gets me every time too. Why is this trotted out every time someone doesn't like the killing of does? It is called population control and by not killing enough does for 50+ years it led to the overpopulation and damage that they caused.

Guys like this seem to me to be bitter, bitter individuals who are simply upset that they can't step 100 yards into the woods and shoot a deer like they did 20 years ago. These types of hunters wouldn't know a browse line if it slapped them in the face not would they care. They just want what makes THEM happy, more deer.

Hopefully the mindset of some of these people is slowly changing due to better education about proper wildlife and habitat management and seeing the results with their own eyes.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:00 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellodog
i'm beginning to beleive part of it is folks looking for a reason they didn't "get one." easier to blame the pgc than look in the mirror for the reason.
That reasoning is everywhere. It's human nature! Their teacher, their parents, and even ...unions.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

Agreed... The guy that shot a big 10 pt this year loves antler restrictions and thinks the deer management plan is really working. The next guy thinks it #$%&, he did't get anything, and is threatening not to buy a license next year.

There is no "X" in my bow!!
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Never liked AR from the start.

Dale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page