HOW IS THE ANTLER RESTRICTIONS WORKING FOR YOU - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

HOW IS THE ANTLER RESTRICTIONS WORKING FOR YOU

The second Question should of read,Are you seeing MORE buck that don't meet the AR.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: HOW IS THE ANTLER RESTRICTIONS WORKING FOR YOU

Awesome! These are the golden days of buck hunting in PA. Myself and 2 hunting buddys all got our largest bucks ever this year. Two of us have hunted 25+yrs and the other 45+yrs and have taken countless bucks. 100 yrs of hunting and 3 bucks of a lifetime in 3 days? Thank you Mr Alt!

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #3 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Have alot of friends here in Greene Co. and while some really nice bucks are killed 85 - 90% of them are no bigger them before AR. The eight point I killed was a typical Greene Co. buck, 8 nice points 4 -5 in. tines,12 in spread. These kind of bucks have been killed in Greene for a long time. Most area hunters will agree they are seeing a good number of small bucks. The first day my wife and I saw three, 4pt,spike, another 4pt. We feel these bucks may be typical 6 or 8 pts next year if they are lucky. Most hunters woul like to shoot these 4 and six points(counting eye guards)now. What is the difference? There is more to AR then what meets the eye. And also how can people say let them grow when 60some thou. doe tags are given in our area? What about the button bucks? Kill thousands of button bucks but not spikes,4pts or six pts. Think about it!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Part of the Community

I think AR was always a good idea should have kept it at nothing smaller than "Y " buck

IF ITS NOT A MARTIN THAN ITS NOT WORTH HAVING
post #5 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

I was talking to the guy who repairs my chainsaws this morning and he surprised me by saying that he thinks AR and HR were a great idea. I asked Why, and he told me that he has seen and taken more really nice bucks and bigger ones than ever before. He went on to say that most of the guys he knows who are what he called "successful" hunters like the program. He thinks most of the negative stuff comes from people who couldn't hunt their way out of a wet paper bag.

I don't totally agree with his thinking. I do think, however, that there has always been a core of hunters who will go the extra mile and usually find the deer they are looking for. Those guys and gals are probably not upset at all with AR/HR.
In my own experience, I am seeing far fewer deer, but of the best five bucks I have taken in Pennsylvania, four of them have been taken in the past eight years. The buck I got this year was a nice 3.5 year old eight point that weighed close to 180 pounds dressed. While such bucks did exist before AR, they were few and far between. The deer today are healthier and larger than they were ten years ago. That is a fact.
post #6 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There's more bigger bucks I believe in the area, I must just not be good enough to get em yet! but what I am seeing, is more spikes and small sub-legal bucks making it through the heat of the rifle seasons. So I know there are a fair amount of 1.5 yr old bucks making it through the season, which was the purpose of AR, not necessarily the purpose which many make it out to be as being "BIGGER BUCKS AROUND EVERY TREE!". It's to even out an age structure. So far this year, i've seen at least 4 or 5 different spikes that before AR would have definately gotten wacked. I have a cousin that had to pass on a 4 pt at 20 yards on saturday that surely woulda been wacked if pre ar, then WAMPIRE passed on a 4pt that woulda gotten a slick trick through his chest if pre ar. So yeah, AR is working, more 1.5 year old bucks are making it through to their 2nd year.

"I've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself..."
post #7 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 PM

I am seeing many more larger racks...however, a large percent of the larger racks are on trail cams at night. Before AR I did not use trail cams..Where they here before and not seen during daylight?

I saw 19 bucks during PA archery and less than 6 does.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have def been seeing more buck and more that are larger.
I have taken decent 8 pts three of the last 4 years. I have hunted 2 full days this rifle season and have seen 14 buck, with 3 being legal. I let them walk bedause I know there are bigger ones in there. I have seen 2 small 7 pts and a half rack 5 point. I have no complaints with the AR as it stands and I am in a "3 Up" area.

Goin in early and stayin late.
post #9 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Sage

I have never seen so many huge bucks in my life. All of them, at night, and on trail cameras.

Must say tho, one of them "won" the battle on Saturday when he allowed me to walk past him, climb a ladder stand and just as I sat down, he busts out from his bed about 35-40 yds behind me,

Gotta love hunting.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #10 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Must say tho, one of them "won" the battle on Saturday when he allowed me to walk past him, climb a ladder stand and just as I sat down, he busts out from his bed about 35-40 yds behind me,

Gotta love hunting.
Same thing happended to me during archery Season......they don't grow old being stupid...

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page