Any Deer in Ridgway - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Any Deer in Ridgway

Just got back from 4 days at my cabin on Bear Ck.(ELK CO)Spent 2 days sneaking thru the woods. (close to the road and several miles into the woods) Very little deer sign anywhere. Dick B was right in saying the buckthorn is taking over up there. Went spotting from the ball fields to the bridge past the Halton Hilton Saw a total of 4 deer the first night and 7 the next. Talked to several locals who spot quite often, and they were surprised I saw that many!! Dick, pink strips hanging everywhere in the area. Whats up with this? I hope the trails they cut for these strips will grow up with some healthy plant, but I doubt it with all the buckthorn. Any new plans for plants and deer in this area? Anything new on the buckthorn takeover? Deer or no deer its always great to be at camp!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 PM
New Arrival

Re: Any Deer in Ridgway

Hello! New to this board. A buddie and I hunt in the same area, coming up for gun season. Love hiking the mountains hunting, but the deer presence the last several years has been getting worse. Which is your camp? We are at the Bear Creek Lodge.
Oh, the pink flyers hanging , from what I was told, is the gas company. They are marking new trails or new spots to drill.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 01:31 AM

Deer numbers in general are on the increase, at least where there is suitable deer habitat. The buckthorn is a serious issue around your camp and is probably always going to limit the growth of better deer food species and therefore also the deer numbers. Besides not being any good as food the deer that do live in it are almost impossible to hunt because they go into the buckthorn where it is the thickest and pretty easily avoid being seen by the few hunters there are.

The Forest Service has been doing some experimenting with various cutting the other methods to see if they can control or contain the buckthorn but from what I understand it isnít looking too promising so far. It will probably get worse before they find any kind of solution, it there is a solution.

All of the flagging you are seeing is for the seismic work they are doing that is associated with all of the gas exploration and drilling. I suspect our children are going to see many changes to the land we have been roaming over all of these years, and many of them perhaps not so much to our liking.

Dick Bodenhorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 AM
New Arrival

We usually hunt near Bear creek, across what we call 2nd line. Davidson branch is my favorite area, but if the creek is too high I cannot get there. Another area we like is "Windfall Run" on the map, we stay on the West side because we come off of the gravel road that starts out as Bear Creek Rd. I am an idiot on identifying vegitation, I know I likely walk around the Buckthorn but don't know what it looks like. The whole forest in that general area seems choked with small brush and crud, tough hunting. But I still love it and look forward to this every year!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Our cabin is located on Bear creek Rd. Its by the white stone cabin with a lot of guys from Ridgeway fire co. ( Great group of guys and the nicest camp on our rd.) Three of us were there for bear season and had a great time. Saw no bear and very little deer .As I said it was great being up there. Went over to see the elk and it seems the deer herd is up in that area. Also went to the bear check station in Marienville and started to see deer after the spring ck. area. Saw 41 from there to Mar and one was a real trophy. Seems like the buckthorn is bad in certain areas only. We will be hunting home again (Greene Co.) this year.. If I was going to camp I would be sure to fan out to different areas. Dick was right when he said the buckthorn is a major problem in some areas. But also after spotting I think there are other areas up there where you could see your share of deer. Can't wait to hear the reports from that area. Good Luck to all the hunters up there!!!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:38 AM
New Arrival

If thats the one I am thinking of, as you drive in its on the left just past a small creek? A long time ago it was called "Frog Camp". I do usually see a crowd there on opening week. I blew a brake line a few years ago and they gave me good advice on where to get it fixed in town. Good luck to you too! Our camp is just a little past you, around the two turns, Pine Camp Rd. off to the left (west).
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

wow you are close to us. My best friends will be in camp Bobtown , it's the third cabin on the left on that rd. Great guys. Let me know how you guys do. Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 09:08 PM

3 years ago my son and i hunted bear on SGL 44, snow on the ground, saw 4 sets of coyote tracks (running together) 1 set of deer tracks and my son got a 200lb bear.

years ago that place was loaded with deer, not so much anymore...really sad.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 01:51 AM
New Arrival

Hunting wise, I only get up there for the first few days of gun. I haven't seen a buck in 3 years! Some of it is on me, don't get much scouting in.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanksgiving was great with the family today. I really miss being up camp on Thanksgiving nite though! Those were the days! Hunting at home is good but nothing like the old days up north!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page