Herd Management Question - No to Shooting Doe - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Herd Management Question - No to Shooting Doe

I belong to a private hunting club where the owner of the land doesn't allow members to shoot doe. It's been like this for the last 10 years. Wondering what others think about the "no harvesting doe" rule? Is this healthy for the deer heard? Property is 1,400+ acres. ln my opinion, the buck to doe ratio is way out of wack. Are there any scientific studies regarding the appropriate buck to do ratio when managing the herd. Would love the hear what others think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:30 PM
The Man

Does need to be shot to properly manage the herd. If they are not shot, the property has to be overbrowsed and not providing optimum nutrition to the deer that are there. I would bet a considerable sum that if you started shooting some does, you will also start shooting bigger and healthier deer and bucks with bigger racks.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:57 PM
The Man

10 years..sound like the owner is bull headed and ignorant to wildlife management...and won't listen no matter what club members or any wildlife biologists suggest to him..
lanctrapper and Laylow like this.

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 10:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I worked for a company that managed 16,000 acres for hunting. Deer, turkey, quail, pheasant. The rule was 1 buck (8 point or better and outside the alert ears) per visit and a doe each time you went out. A 3 day stay you could shoot 6 doe hunting stands morning and evening. The management guys said they would like to see a 1 to 1 ratio. That won't happen just to many does but there were some real dandy bucks. They encouraged every hunter to shoot a doe. Your management guy might have to go back to school.
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkookHunter View Post
I belong to a private hunting club where the owner of the land doesn't allow members to shoot doe. It's been like this for the last 10 years. Wondering what others think about the "no harvesting doe" rule? Is this healthy for the deer heard? Property is 1,400+ acres. ln my opinion, the buck to doe ratio is way out of wack. Are there any scientific studies regarding the appropriate buck to do ratio when managing the herd. Would love the hear what others think.
How many deer are you seeing on each outing? Many people will say their Buck to Doe ratio is out of whack, because the mature bucks don't present themselves.

Put out some trail cams over a bait pile when the season is not in, and see who makes an appearance. You might be very surprised.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkookHunter View Post
If that club has not been shooting doe for at least 10 years, they have too many doe on the property. Are you seeing a browse line yet? I recommend you contact the PGC Wildlife management section by e-mail or letter and asked them their opinion.
bohunr and NorthernPotterCo like this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 05:26 PM

You absolutely have to kill does to manage the herd effectively, especially in areas with low to no predators. 1,400 acres, while a good sized chunk of land, probably isn’t big enough to make too much impact as far as over browsing, deer will move off the property to the food. I used to hunt a place in NC where if you killed a buck, you had to kill two does before you could kill another buck.
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb1815 View Post
You absolutely have to kill does to manage the herd effectively, especially in areas with low to no predators. 1,400 acres, while a good sized chunk of land, probably isnít big enough to make too much impact as far as over browsing, deer will move off the property to the food. I used to hunt a place in NC where if you killed a buck, you had to kill two does before you could kill another buck.
Yeah, lets have a doe tag come with the general license but you have to apply for an antlered deer license, flip the script. That would be interesting.
jimbridger, bohunr and TBrom like this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

There's plenty of predators on the property. Although, there's not much for food. No agriculture crops near by, but a good bit of acorns, berries and forage. This is old coal mining land, so a lot of open space with woods on both sides of open land. I do have several cameras on the property. I see lots of pics 5-8 does together and a fair amount of nice buck. Went spotting one evening during the key rut period. Saw approximately 45 deer and only 3 that I could tell were buck. In early summer, one thing I noticed is not many fawns in the goups of does. Could it be possible there's so many doe, that there's not enough buck to breed them all? With all the doe, one would think there would be a lot of fawns each year.
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 10:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

If the owner does not want doe shot there should be no doe shot. I think there are too many deer being killed in dma 2 where i have my property and have never shot a doe on it and will not kill another buck on it until numbers increase.
Every situation is different
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in