Deer Population Issue or Hunter Population Issue? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Deer Population Issue or Hunter Population Issue?

Ok, so most of these posts have to do with deer population and how (or if) to manage that population with HR/AR guidelines with 1M+ hunters in the state. With that many hunters, PA has the highest density of hunters in the country. So I think the largest challenge the PGC has is implementing a quality management program with that kind of density. Thusly, the results they are getting out of this program. So since the deer management end of that equation can't be managed due to hunter density, then why not manage the other side of that equation and manage the more controllable factor of hunter density and start restricting license sales to X# of hunters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Banned

Re: Deer Population Issue or Hunter Population Issue?

here's the thing...PA is FULL of guys that hunt 2 or 3 days a year...those guys should not be taken into consideration when you hear all these complaints about no deer in the state. Ill bet that they dont scout either. How can you expect to go out and kill something every year in that short time? especially a big buck or even a legal buck for that matter! I think our deer herd is good in PA, and i dont live in a high density area, im in 3D, a rural part of 3D for that matter.

Guys who put their time in each year should have no problems filling tags, period. Might not kill a huge buck every year but thats part of the game too. Im sure there will be some people crowing abot what i just said but thats how PA is...guys hunt 2 or 3 days a year and dont see anything and complain how theres no deer. get over it

sure it was fun seeing 30+ deer a day when i first started hunting 9 years ago...but there wasnt much challenge in killing one. I have to hunt for deer now, not go out and kill one. I love it
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Sage

The PGC isn't practicing QDM- their goal was simply to get more male deer to older age classes, hence simulating a more natural age structure.

Mission accomplished.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESU.archer
here's the thing...PA is FULL of guys that hunt 2 or 3 days a year...those guys should not be taken into consideration when you hear all these complaints about no deer in the state. Ill bet that they dont scout either. How can you expect to go out and kill something every year in that short time? especially a big buck or even a legal buck for that matter! I think our deer herd is good in PA, and i dont live in a high density area, im in 3D, a rural part of 3D for that matter.

Guys who put their time in each year should have no problems filling tags, period. Might not kill a huge buck every year but thats part of the game too. Im sure there will be some people crowing abot what i just said but thats how PA is...guys hunt 2 or 3 days a year and dont see anything and complain how theres no deer. get over it
I knew it--All that foolishness about people working 6 days a week and not having time to hunt or scout, I bet those are the guys causing all this controversy about no deer.. Those guys need to quit work and get out there and spend more time in the woods---Well said ESU!!

Genesis 27:3
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Sage

Hunting license sales are somewhere around 940,000 per year now.

PGC estimate for the number of deer hunters is somewhere around 750,000

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Still makes PA's hunter density rather tight.
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMA
Ok, so most of these posts have to do with deer population and how (or if) to manage that population with HR/AR guidelines with 1M+ hunters in the state. With that many hunters, PA has the highest density of hunters in the country. So I think the largest challenge the PGC has is implementing a quality management program with that kind of density. Thusly, the results they are getting out of this program. So since the deer management end of that equation can't be managed due to hunter density, then why not manage the other side of that equation and manage the more controllable factor of hunter density and start restricting license sales to X# of hunters?
Are you aware of the fact that the size of the deer herd is controlled by number of tags allocated?

MAGA 2020
post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Part of the Community

They already limit license sales. Also, tell your buddies and fellow hunters to make sure that they turn in their harvest report cards. For every deer shot that isn't reported, that could possibly equate to 2 or 3 more doe tags the following season.

ESU- the words you say are thoughts i've been having since I started hearing "there aren't any deer left in PA"

Another thought about the "lack of deer" a 1 1/2 yr. old buck is 3 times harder to kill than a yearling, a 2 1/2 yr. old buck is 9 times harder to kill than a 1 1/2, and if my memory serves me correctly a 3 1/2 yr. old is 13 times harder to kill than a 2 1/2 yr. old. Do the math, these deer are smarter than the 3 day a year rifle hunter, and don't think for a minute that because doe don't have any antlers that somehow that makes them stupid. A matriarch doe is probably smarter than even the oldest buck in the woods between october and december.

The deer are still here in our woods they are just older and smarter than what they were 5 years ago. They are also healthier and bigger. Shooting any deer for me is a blessing and a great accomplishment in my eyes.
post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned

brute im glad you agree. i mean no disrespect by what i stated, but thats how it is. guys make drastic judgments without putting in the time to make a true judgment
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESU.archer
brute im glad you agree. i mean no disrespect by what i stated, but thats how it is. guys make drastic judgments without putting in the time to make a true judgment
You have to take into account the time period, and the area some of those who are saying the deer are gone. If they are comparing the 1960's NC to the 2010 NC. They are correct....the deer are gone but not literally. People take what they say literally.

For example, I can remember seeing 200 different deer in one day. Today I would be hard pressed to see 200 a year....I'd have to really work at it. So, yes, to me they are gone in this area...but not literally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page