AR/mistake kill data - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

AR/mistake kill data

When Pa (any other state) accepts mistake kills, is data collected regarding which point causes the difficulty? I would think that over time, a pattern would appear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

Re: AR/mistake kill data

no
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 PM
The Man

I bet the missing point is the one that casued the problem

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:04 PM

Well, in my case , it wasn`t a missing point. It was the 4in. Spike that magically grew from the time I shot the Antlerless Deer till it turned it`s Head to run!!!
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron pa
Well, in my case , it wasn`t a missing point. It was the 4in. Spike that magically grew from the time I shot the Antlerless Deer till it turned it`s Head to run!!!
I would guess that in cases where a buck was mistakingly killed for an antlerless, the small spiked deer would be at the front of a pattern within data collected.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Part of the Community

In circumstances like Ron pa described I believe the PGC handles the "crime" incorrectly. I believe it is a fine and a loss of the said deer. What harm is it to report the kill, pay the fine but keep the deer. Obviously the person that shot the deer was hunting for the freezer and not the antlers, that person can use the meat I am sure, so let them keep it. The catch however is that you just filled your buck tag, so go hunt some more. Everyone is happy, the PGC knows that an immature buck was taken and what area it was taken from, the hunter knows that next time he'd better take a little more time to ensure that its a doe.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

Maybe if they allowed you to keep the deer a lot of antlered doe mistakes would be happening.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:57 PM
The Man

I'm guessing you can't use your buck tag on it, since it would still be an illegal deer. As already posted, I bet more than a few people would gladly pay 25 bucks and shoot any buck they wanted, instead of waiting for a legal one to come along. The law is the way it is for a reason.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Part of the Community

Increase the fine....PA is known for haveing cheap penalties for illegal harvesting of animals. It wasn't until the last couple of years that poaching in Pa was taken seriously by the PGC. The people I have known to have made mistake buck kills were honest mistakes. I for one wouldn't shoot a spike willingly, and give up my chance at a real buck worth putting on my wall, and i'm sure you guys are no different than me.

Its was just an idea.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Sage

The PGC handles it as a mistake, a small restitution, no citation or prosecution and they take the deer that did not lawfully meet the legal requirements. Not a thing wrong with that. The law does not and should not take into consideration whether or not the person who kills a deer that is not legal needs the meat. Hunting for the freezer is not a get out of jail free card. People are not paying attention now, you method would just exascerbate not identifying the deer as legal.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page