Western Hunters, and new Restrictions. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Western Hunters, and new Restrictions.

I'm starting this thread out of curiosity. What I would like to get out of it, is a sampling (although more than likely small), of the effects of the new point restriction in the western half. As you all know, we can now take the "3 up top" Bucks. I am all for this new restriction, as I've said many times, a Buck that fits that description, with no brow tine, in no way has to be a younger Deer than one WITH a brow tine. It's just a different genetic make-up. That said, I am curious as to what the end means may be regarding this change. So post up if in the season, you,
see a Buck of this description or if you harvested a Buck of this description. Even if your pal may have seen one but let it go, or harvested one.

I may have to give this a bump or two through muzzy season, but I'd like to get the comments. My personal thoughts is that there will be very limited sightings and/or harvests of these types here in the Western region.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 PM
The Man

Re: Western Hunters, and new Restrictions.

I saw two buck that fit the 3 up top with no brow tine description last year.

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:12 PM
The Man

I've seen one that would fit the new 3 up rule but would not be legal under the old 4 on a side rule

Genesis 27:3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

I would be happy knowing that the Buck harvest increased say, by 5%, from all the browless "3 on top" Deer. That would mean that more hunters filled their tag, thus, fostering a "happier hunter" atmosphere. And knowing that those Deer are no more of a juevenile than one's with brow tines.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:17 PM
The Man

You and me, both

Genesis 27:3
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It may increase for a yr or 2 then then the harvest level will drop back to previous levels, just a greater % of 1st yr bucks. Why the gameless commission had to mess with this is beyond me. the whiners that forced this won't have any more bucks to hunt( barring a little loss of carryovers) then they had before. Just more smaller ones.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 PM

We were originally told that the anticipated increase in harvest will be insignificant, now I believe it was stated that PGC expects ~10% increase in buck harvest for the impacted areas?

I see several yearling bucks a year that were protected by previous ARs, but will now be open to harvest with the 3 up rule. I thought the goal was to move more bucks into the 2+ YO category? This seems counterproductive to me. For this reason I have been against this policy change from the start.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What happened guys is that those that wanted the change to 3 on top cried loudest. They may be in the minority, but they made it known to the BOC. that they wanted the change. The same happened with other changes this year, the vocal minority got what they wanted, The way I see it is that the hunters that liked the ay it was had nothing to complain about, so did not let the Commissioners know how they felt. After this season if you are still do not like the AR changes let the Commissioners know & let them know often.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Nobody, and I mean nobody, has given an answer to the question I posed counless times... Is there a definite age difference from a Buck with 3 on top with no brow, compared to 3 on top with a brow. Far as I can see it's a genetic make-up, not an age dependent thing. Why should these Buck be off limits to all hunters that are not military or Jr's after they reach say, their 3rd, 4th, 5th b'day. So if you're prepared to answer (nobody else has), I'm all ears.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:56 AM

There is a most certainly a general correlation between the number of points on a yearling buck vs a 2.5+ YO buck.

While it certainly doesn't represent the entire western third of the state, I frequently see 1.5YO bucks without brows, but rarely(almost never) see 2.5+YOs without brows. I doubt the data exists to draw a conclusion between age vs the presence of brows, but I would be willing to bet the vast majority of the bucks legal under the new policy (but not under the old AR) will be 1.5YOs at least in my area.

Not entirely specific to the brow tine topic, but an interesting read on the correlation between age and points: http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/deerantlers.pdf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page