AR=POSTED LAND - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

AR=POSTED LAND

IMHO AR has brought more posted land than any other single reason. In my area everyone wants that big buck to themselves so they post their land. It has even changed the way they hunt my neighbors used to drive everyday of the season now they sit in shooting huts and never leave then you hear comments that man there doesnt seem to be as many deer as there used to be. I love the concept of AR just miss the good ole days when everyone got along in hunting season.

take a kid hunting and fishing it will keep them out of trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:15 AM
The Man

Re: AR=POSTED LAND

I'm not saying that might not be true for some folks, but I don't think it's selfishness at all. I think most folks are simply sick of the jerks who think they can go wherever they they want without getting permission. Or, if they get permission, they invite all their friends......

To be honest, I do almost all my deer hunting on public ground, but gaining permission to hunt small game or waterfowl isn't any harder than it was 20 years ago, even if the property is posted. Most folks just wanna know who's wandering around their property with guns. I don't blame them.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

AR is just one small part that has grown into a large problem, management wise.
I will be entering my 55 deer hunting season this fall, and my how things have changed. When I started you never ever saw , at lease I didn't, a post property in central PA.
Some of it is due to property changing hands. Was bought by some one from the city that came with and instituted their city ways.
Part of it was due to large areas being divided into smaller areas.
The encroachment of housing developments on wooded area.
Leased land for hunting.
Those that try their hand at managing their property strictly for deer hunting.
Large tracks that were purchased by a group of people for there own recreation.
One person post so the neighbor does the same, it acts like a cancer.
I could go on and on, but you get the idea.
I will say this, IMO, posted ground is more detrimental and one of the biggest cause of the decline in hunting participation. It has caused some to quit and others to never start or quit after a short period of time.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by treestand91
IMHO AR has brought more posted land than any other single reason. In my area everyone wants that big buck to themselves so they post their land. It has even changed the way they hunt my neighbors used to drive everyday of the season now they sit in shooting huts and never leave then you hear comments that man there doesnt seem to be as many deer as there used to be. I love the concept of AR just miss the good ole days when everyone got along in hunting season.
Sorry, but posting land happened long before AR-

In fact, nearly 70% of land was posted prior to 2003.

Thirty-two percent of landowners in the three counties who posted cited the desire to "control who is on the land" as the single most important reason influencing their decision. Other important reasons were: human safety, 19 percent; liability concerns, 15 percent; reserve wildlife for family/friends, 7 percent; and property damage, 4 percent.

The rest of the story.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/o...oyer0831p5.asp

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Gal if you read the first 4 letters of my post it says IMHO.
Surveys and polls can be controlled i dont take much truth in them. If you poll 100 republicans about Obama its gonna come out about 90 to 10. this post was about my opinion and i was looking for others opinion as well obviously you let polls and surveys make up your mind.

post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Administrator

IMO it had nothing to do with AR, but everything to do with HR!
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Sage

I don't agree. Anyone with land had the ability to impose AR on that land before it was done through the use of a law. Some of them did, there were groups of land owners with ajoining land that got together and made a pact that deer under a certain size wouldn't be killed long before AR. Times are changing, landowners used to know who was using their land because most people would ask and most were people already know to the landowners. Today, it is nothing for people to jump in their vehicle and drive a long way and get out and hunt and not ask first. I believe lack of respect for landowners has more t do with posted land than AR.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

thank you for your opinions

post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Administrator

I've been hunting longer than quite a few of our members have even been alive, and I remember those days before AR when no land was ever posted. As a matter of fact, life was so good back then that if you left your house and walked a hundred miles not only wouldnt you see a single No Hunting sign, people would even put cookies and milk out for hunters, and if it got too late to walk home they would invite you in to spend the night with a family member, make breakfast for you in the morning, and then give you a side of beef or a whole hog to take home with you (I always picked the hog cause he could walk by himself).
Ayup, all that changed the day AR was enacted and all the signs went up.

MAGA 2020
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think the comment "man there doesn't seem to be as many deer as there used to be" would be more of the reason for posting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page