Has Anyone Noticed.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Has Anyone Noticed....

I've been somewhat sitting in the background reading a number of posts & replies in this forms not really wanting to state my opinion well mainly because most of this is people arguing opinions and using pieces and snippits of facts to back it like a bunch of politicians.

But here's one common thing I seen in the posts from an observor level. People who hunt private land that's managed really like QDM policies because of the results they produce and people who don't hunt in these environmens nay-say that QDM does anything good. Rarely have I seen anyone state that, if given the choice, they would rather hunt on public land than on privately managed land.

Me, I've done both and definitely prefer private managed land. Less pressure, better nutrition, and asllowing the deer to age has ALWAYS produced better results. But again that's my opinion.

Just saying'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Sage

Re: Has Anyone Noticed....

No big surprise there.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Sage

There is something to be said for hunting vast tracts of public land in the north central.You can hunt in any direction you want, and no one can stop you.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
There is something to be said for hunting vast tracts of public land in the north central.You can hunt in any direction you want, and no one can stop you.
When I was a kid Dutch you could do the same thing on private land. You had permission to hunt every neighboring property and ones that bordered them. Sadly those days are gone now and while you can hunt on some, you can't hunt on all of them.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 12:07 AM
hdt
Banned

We are lucky here in PA 'cause of all the public land we have to hunt, hike, ...whatever. State game lands, ANF, State forests are open to us all. Hunting deer in the big woods is hunting at it's best in my oppinion.

Some of the "QDM", or what is called that, is beginning to turn into something close to farming. I hope we never see a point at which we will sit in a shooting box while watching a feeder and find the biggest challenge of deer hunting is having the patience to wait for the monster buck that has been coming into the "C'mere Deer" like they do on the manged hunting ground we see on TV.

I'd rather shoot a fork horn that I hunted than a P&Y that I killed the way alot of the "pro" Hunters do it.
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Sage

I know a guy that spends a great deal of money on his property making plots, creating funnels, etc. You might say he is about as close to "deer farming" as I have seen here in PA, and he hunts like crazy, yet, has a heck of a time killing nice bucks, like you'd think he should.

In PA, with most areas, the "deer farming" thing is not even close to what is portrayed on the videos.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 12:21 AM
hdt
Banned

I hope it stays that way. I am not refering to the guys who plant a food plot or two around their place.
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Sage

QDMA hope it stays that way too, HDT. What you are talking about is trophy management, and is not QDM.

QDMA Defined: http://www.qdma.com/what-we-do/artic...m/qdm-defined/

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 AM
hdt
Banned

Did you miss the -Some of the "QDM", or what is called that-part?
I agree with almost all of what QDM is supposed to be. I talk to alot of fellow hunters and a great majority believe the program is all about antler size. Most would like it to be that way.

I don't think most hunters would give a hoot about QDM if it did not result in more bucks carrying large antlers. Most whitetails under some managemnet program on private land are being managed for big racks, that is the plain and simple fact. There is nothing wrong with that, I suppose. I just think that the line between QDM and trophy management is a very blurred one in most cases. And trophy management is more like raising beef than managing deer.
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Sage

There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get deer to older age classes, which almost always results in larger antlers.

Its even a benefit to those who don't practice QDM. Those deer sure aren't stationary, and don't know property lines.

To those of us who practice QDM as it was and is intended, there is no blur between QDM and trophy management. Trophy management is just that.

Quality Deer Management is having a diverse age structure, the appropriate number of deer that the habitat can support while at the same time, growing a diverse understory so other species can thrive as well. Herd management, habitat management, hunter management, and herd monitoring.

Its very time consuming, can be labor intensive, and quite rewarding.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page