Food Plot - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Talking Food Plot

Hello,
Recently purchased a place with access to a good chunk of land along a creek bed. It has been over run with japeneese knot weed i believe. my question is how to get rid of it and anyone have any good food sources to plant in a mainly what seems like silt sand soil mix.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 AM
The Man

Japanese Knotweed is almost impossible to get rid of. We have an area around our camp and have tried everything to rid ourselves of this pesky weed but no luck. It's not environmentally friendly or legal but I've heard diesel fuel works. Course then your food plot won't grow either. My thoughts would be to find another area for a food plot.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:48 AM

You can kill knotweed with Roundup but it takes several years of repeated spraying to get it all.

What you will want to plant there after you get rid of the knotweed depends on what your objective is? Do you want something for small game or for deer? Are you looking for a wildlife food supply, just cover or both? Sometimes food producing shrubs, various crab apple, hawthorns, and low growing nut producing shrubs, are the best bet for both food and cover value for the widest variety of wildlife.

Dick Bodenhorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:58 AM

Here is a fact sheet from PSU. Like the others have said it is tough to get rid of. It says it will take a minimum of 2 years to get rid of it. The article give very specific times to mow and treat it.

https://plantscience.psu.edu/researc...anese-knotweed

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:01 PM
The Man

Along streams it's best to have trees and shrubs to help hold the streambanks, to slow down the floodwaters, to provide shade to the stream, and to create cover in the stream from the roots, branches, and fallen trees. In other words, a forested riparian buffer.

Forested riparian buffers not only conserve the streams, they are heavily used by deer.

To find out what trees and shrubs are likely to grow along your stream, do a long walk along the stream and write down what tree and shrub species you see. If you aren't good at IDing them, take along someone who can.

Wack the knotweed. Plant those tree species. Continue wacking the knotweed, so that it doesn't out-compete the trees.

Pin oaks grow well along streams in many places and produce acorns.

Dogwood is a shrub that grows well along streams in many places. It grows thick and might be able to out-compete the knotweed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page