Herd reduction - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Herd reduction

Has anybody noticed that because of CWD we are going into HR mode again. example in 2D one CWD deer just inside 2D and now we have to increase the harvest of a Stable herd. increased harvest in a stable herd is code word for reducing the herd. They are issuing more tags then when we had a lot more deer and were actually in HR mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A rose by any other name is still a rose. Call it herd reduction or increasing harvest, it's the same thing. I imagine with a CWD epidemic knocking on our door PA is going to have to reduce the herd or face an epidemic. I expect increased tags numbers and a smaller deer herd will be the norm in PA. As far as I know, at present it is the only method of controlling the spread of CWD.
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:09 PM

i believe at one time the PGC had a plan in place for when CWD crossed into PA. it was something like drawing a huge circle around where the CWD deer was found and removing every deer inside of that circle.

gotta give them credit for not doing that, and just increasing tags. reducing the herd numbers happens to be the best way to SLOW the spread. you can not eradicate it, but you can slow it down.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

2c went from 31000 to 44000 and there has been no cwd found in that area. It is next to DMA 2 which is showing an increase in CWD.

Woods Walker posted a recent article on controlling CWD on the latest post on the CWD forum. It states that if the area is not overpopulated, there should not be a general reduction in the amount of deer.

The following is a quote from that article stating what should be done:

Once a state fish and wildlife agency finds CWD and determines its geographic area and prevalence either through a special hunt or testing animals harvested through existing hunts containment involves the following steps:

Reduce buck-to-doe ratios. Bucks have a higher prevalence of CWD, especially when the disease is first discovered in a deer population. This may be because bucks congregate during the rut and young bucks tend to disperse farther away than does when they leave their mothers.

Harvest hotspots. Given that the prevalence of CWD tends to increase among deer in close proximity to each other, when a hotspot is identified, those deer need to be eliminated.

There are no hotspots in 2c. Killing off so many doe will increase the buck to doe ratio. Maybe if we want to reduce the herd size we should start with the bucks by adding more hunter access to the rut and temporarily removing AR..
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wisconsin just did a study on mineral sites and for the first time has found a concentration of prions in the wild. I think it was 9 out of 11 sites. Pa should ban food/mineral sites until there is more clarity on HOW CWD is spread. probably should ban deer based scents also.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:09 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONZO View Post
Has anybody noticed that because of CWD we are going into HR mode again. example in 2D one CWD deer just inside 2D and now we have to increase the harvest of a Stable herd
I find it extremely difficult to believe that anyone who hunts unit 2D at all over the past few years actually thinks that the herd there is only stable. Regardless of what any "report"or statistic says, there is zero doubt in my mind that the 2D herd has been on the rise for several years now. In fact it has risen ever since the BOC started reducing the tags that were being given out before.

This rise in tags this year is nothing more than an adjustment to the allocation that everyone should have seen coming. Honestly, I expected it to come last year and it didn't. It is not driven by CWD. It is simply the proper adjustment that was needed.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:20 PM
New Arrival

Where in 2D was the CWD found? It’s a large management unit, and we have also seen an increase in the deer population there.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
A rose by any other name is still a rose. Call it herd reduction or increasing harvest, it's the same thing. I imagine with a CWD epidemic knocking on our door PA is going to have to reduce the herd or face an epidemic. I expect increased tags numbers and a smaller deer herd will be the norm in PA. As far as I know, at present it is the only method of controlling the spread of CWD.
Decreasing the herd size really doesn't control the spread of CWD. It may slow it down a bit. If CWD was an epidemic it would already be spread statewide as it has been here for a while.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 09:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Decreasing the herd size really doesn't control the spread of CWD. It may slow it down a bit. If CWD was an epidemic it would already be spread statewide as it has been here for a while.
I never said CWD was at epidemic proportion in PA, merely stated an epidemic was possible. If CWD is present, there is always a strong possibility an epidemic may ensue.

Reducing herd size does indeed slow the spread of the disease. Slowing the spread is a form of control. Hence herd reduction is a form of control. By no means remediation, but mitigation. It is the only known tool , of which I am aware, to somewhat control the spread of the disease.

While herd reduction is not ideal, it's the only thing we have at present to get an early jump on the battle against CWD. Not statewide yet but is spreading every year.

We could just sit back and do nothing and have no deer to hunt in PA in 50 years.

Last edited by simoncool; 05-13-2018 at 09:26 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

KUDU 58 it is driven by CWD it is in Rosenberrys Anterless allocation recommendation, i didn't just pull this out of a hat, and by the way he is the one saying that the herd is stable in 2D, which in my area of 2D appears to be correct, a lot of deer but stable over the last 5 yrs or so. He has more data then one man's observation. If what he says is true that 2D has 56 deer/sq mi post season then killing 1 extra antlerless dpsm isn't gonna make a difference.

Last edited by LONZO; 05-13-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page