Herd reduction - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:02 AM

I think CWD has spread past the KNOWN CWD areas, it just hasnt been detected yet. how many hunters kill deer in the surrounding counties and never get them tested ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What is needed is a WALL on PA's southern border ( For more reasons than just CWD)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 09:29 AM

here is the problem as stated in all the other posts on CWD

CWD is a prion. prions can not be destroyed except by high heat, incineration. that means cooking the meat will not kill the prions.

CWD prions are in the soil and have been recently found to be able to be transferred to plants...think about crops too. corn, soybeans, hay that gets fed to cattle (dairy and beef)

any other deer that do not have CWD come into an infected area and eat grass or crops that have the CWD prion in it can be infected with CWD. reduction of the herd will only slow it down not remove it. once in an area it is there for YEARS and YEARS in the soil.

so far it has not been known to mutate to cross the barrier from deer to humans...but will it. or has it, but they have not identified it or found the connection as causing dementia or Alzheimer yet ??

CWD is fatal. get the deer tested. the CDC says DO NOT EAT any deer that tests positive for CWD as they are not sure if it can be transmitted to humans as no one has tested positive for it YET. to mean this means they are expecting CWD to make the jump across that barrier into humans. if that happens, what will we eat ? CWD prions can transmit to plants as i said above. they are most likely already in our food chain and in the market, in the food we already buy.

who knows
outofstater likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
I never said CWD was at epidemic proportion in PA, merely stated an epidemic was possible. If CWD is present, there is always a strong possibility an epidemic may ensue.

Reducing herd size does indeed slow the spread of the disease. Slowing the spread is a form of control. Hence herd reduction is a form of control. By no means remediation, but mitigation. It is the only known tool , of which I am aware, to somewhat control the spread of the disease.

While herd reduction is not ideal, it's the only thing we have at present to get an early jump on the battle against CWD. Not statewide yet but is spreading every year.

We could just sit back and do nothing and have no deer to hunt in PA in 50 years.
The disease would have to change in order to be epidemic. It just isn't that high contagious or transmittable. If it was it would be statewide. Eventually unless research comes up with a remedy, it will be statewide.

As far as having no deer to hunt in 50 years, CWD has been in other states for alot longer than that and it hasn't had a significant impact on the population.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 03:17 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONZO View Post
. If what he says is true that 2D has 56 deer/sq mi post season then killing 1 extra antlerless dpsm isn't gonna make a difference.

If that is the dpsm post season, then killing an extra 10 per sq mile won't make a difference either. So why all the fuss about a few extra tags???
jimbridger likes this.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:54 PM
The Man

But okay, I'll play along anyway. If we look at those same numbers. And again this is PGC info from the whitetailed deer page, we find that:

1.) The fawn to doe ratio is declining in 2D.
2.) The buck harvest in 2D has increased by 3,299 animals in the past 4 years. As we know buck harvest is one of the leading indicators of herd size in any given unit.
3.) There has been an increase in the doe harvest each of the past three years in 2D with similar antlerless license allocations. Again indicative of a growing herd.
4.) The deer population estimate in 2D has gone from 110,000 to 140,000 over the past 4 years.

All of this has come about as a result of those decreased license allocations by the BOC that I mentioned. Even last year, a higher allocation was recommended but the BOC went with the lower number of 55,000.

I didn't pull my response out of my rear end either. And the PGC's own printed numbers back up my assertion of a growing herd.
Nobody should be surprised in the least by an increased allocation in unit 2D. And nobody who hunts 2D should have the least amount of trouble finding deer to harvest, even after this allocation. Heck, we are pretty much at pre-HR deer populations in 2D right now. An increase of 8,000 tags is a joke to get upset about.
Bucky VA likes this.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I never said you pulled your numbers out of your rear end but you insinuated I did,. Where did I say I was upset about 8000 extra tags? To go from 112k post population to 140k post population with the amount of tags issued in one yr is pretty much a mathematical impossibility. Did somebody kill all the coyotes and bears?
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 07:00 PM

The game commission should of never left people start farming deer.They no longer have control but they left it get started.Deer are not a farm animal and should of been left in the woods.Nothing you can do to turn back time and now the deer have to pay for the game commissions way of managing them.Sorry JMO.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

More Tags = more money for the PGC

They has CWD symptoms also

C ash
W ith
D rawl

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Last edited by Potter Co. Joe; 05-22-2018 at 02:29 PM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONZO View Post
I never said you pulled your numbers out of your rear end but you insinuated I did,. Where did I say I was upset about 8000 extra tags? To go from 112k post population to 140k post population with the amount of tags issued in one yr is pretty much a mathematical impossibility. Did somebody kill all the coyotes and bears?
The number of tags issued should not even be in the mathematical equation. How much did the antlerless harvest increase or decrease. If you want to use the number of tags issued you have to be sure the ratio of filled tags remains the same. What matters is how many of the tags get filled each year. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page