outdoor life article on deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

outdoor life article on deer

it basically says the deer numbers are diving in places like the southeast.biologists are thinking too many doe are being taken considering this downturn.coyotes are having more then expected impacts on the fawns.heavy in fact.
there's no doubt in parts of pa like the nc region the same is happening.some on here wonder why the deer numbers aren't coming back when studies show hunters aren't killing the deer.might just be the same as the study in the se.more of an impact from coyotes then they thought.
the article is in the latest issue of outdoor life.some biologists are very concerned about this trend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: outdoor life article on deer

that was just one of the factors. It stated loss of habitat was the biggest threat if I remember properly.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 03:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRICKET
it basically says the deer numbers are diving in places like the southeast.biologists are thinking too many doe are being taken considering this downturn.coyotes are having more then expected impacts on the fawns.heavy in fact.
there's no doubt in parts of pa like the nc region the same is happening.some on here wonder why the deer numbers aren't coming back when studies show hunters aren't killing the deer.might just be the same as the study in the se.more of an impact from coyotes then they thought.
the article is in the latest issue of outdoor life.some biologists are very concerned about this trend.
I read that same article. did you catch the insert about the study done on the fawns and predators? That was unbelieveable

For those who havent had a chance to read it: There was a study conducted on the 198,000 acre Savanah River federal nuclear reservation in South Carolina. It basically stated that less than 25% of fawns born in the spring made it to the fall.
80% of fawns that didnt make were killed by predators.
Coyotes were responsible in 80% of those predator kills.
By my math Coyotes were responsible for 49 fawn deaths for every 25 fawns that made it to fall.
My understanding is that there was a special hunt held on that reservation every year. The game managers have actually had to cut back on tags in direct response to the coyote predation as a means to keep the herd at a sustainable level.

Now that Pa has conducted a very similar study of predation by coyotes and bear I wonder if the reason doe tags were reduced the last few seasons in alot of the state and primarily 2G in particular was really a result of the biologist knowing that predation on a greatly reduced deer herd could in fact cause that deer herd to completely collapse? Less deer+more predators= easier to kill whats left? Couple that with hunters killing at at a 20% clip and a bad winter and its easy to see how entire pockets of deer could realistically be wiped out.
Maybe it wasnt a result of the them seeing real regeneration all of a sudden from one year to the next?
Maybe they saw the writing on the trees?

Im not saying predation is as bad as south carolina has it but we definately have major predation by coyotes and bears. I believe it has more of an effect on a reduced deer herd than one thats a decent sized.
Even if the does all times their births at the same time a small deer herd would be hit harder than a deer herd thats larger.
If a larger deer herd all birthed at the same time then there would only be but so much a predator could consume before a fawn was capable of escape.

These are my own opinions and im not saying Im right or wrong. That article really just raised some questions for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

yes coyotes are more of a cause in fawn deaths then reported.therefore the doe tags should be dropped accordingly.that means less tags then present.
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:40 PM
The Man

Since the coyotes and deer were both here long before man was why didn't the coyotes have the deer wiped out already when we came along?

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogey
Since the coyotes and deer were both here long before man was why didn't the coyotes have the deer wiped out already when we came along?
probly because man was not hear helping the coyotes wipe out the Deer Just A Idea
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Probably the mountain lions the state stocked in secret
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 PM
dce
Sage

Joe,fawns are still making up about 44% of the antlerless harvest.If predation was increasing,the amount of fawns showing up in the harvest would be decreasing.That hasn't been the case.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:54 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogey
I can only speak for the areas I hunt but within the last ten years the coyote populations have increased.Twenty years ago the rabbit numbers were high.Now we're lucky to jump a rabbit.They disappeared more and more as the yote populations increased.Maybe a coincidence maybe not.We find a good amount of scat with deer hair in fawning season and beyond.Coyotes do take fawns and our fawn sightings are down.

Winner of the pillow fight championship.Featherweight division
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 PM
dce
Sage

Coyotes certainly take fawns when the opportunity presents itself.I personally don't see any more coyote sign now than I did 10 years ago in any area that I hunt.I average seeing one a year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page