The results are in. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

The results are in.

The topic is antler restrictions.

What hunters should expect

More young bucks surviving to older age classes. The actual proportion of young bucks protected is dependent upon the appropriateness of the antler criteria selected, coupled with the degree of hunter compliance.

Significantly lower buck harvest initially, with somewhat lower buck harvest long term.

More and older bucks on the landscape may increase competition for breeding and may increase the intensity of the rut.

The population management goal (and thus overall deer numbers) for a unit would not change, but herd composition and harvest opportunity would change.

Are they needed?

NYs deer population has shown rapid growth potential and shows no evidence of compromised breeding success. No significant change in herd productivity should be expected with antler restrictions.

Because the rut is largely dictated by seasonal day length changes, significant shifts in the timing of breeding should likewise not be expected.

In light of the above, DEC sees no compelling biological or management need for mandated antler restrictions.

If a clear biological or management advantage was to be expected, DEC would certainly support mandatory restrictions. Lacking such evidence, we believe that over whelming hunter support should be present before pursuing further mandatory restrictions.

The real key to successful deer management and a healthy herd is the right level of doe harvest.

Seems like someone has learned from the experiment conducted just south. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Re: The results are in.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/arposter09.pdf

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #3 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:12 PM

gotta compare apples to apples jim. 5 tags waiting for every buck here in pa. not every state has that kind of pressure on the antlered portion of their herd.

Pence/Putin 2024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:32 PM

let the circus begin
post #5 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

As I recall, DEC would have expanded antler resriction to other WMU, but hunters were against it. Imagine that, considering hunters in making a decision.

WMU 4C Lehigh County
post #6 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Banned

I just don't understand the stubborn reluctance in supporting antler restrictions. I don't care if it changes breeding patterns, the rut or anything else. As long as it doesn't do anything bad to the overall heard health then from a sportsment perspective as a hunter I want a little bit of a challange to shoot something other than the first dumb yearling that stumbles by me. I have practiced AR for 20 years for this reason alone. I see people cry on these forums that the only thing AR does is possably increase antler size through older bucks..... OK. What is wrong with that? The same people who cry about harvesting a cub bear or young jake turkey have no problem shooting that dumb young buck. Control the population through doe management, I didn't say wipe them out, but get them in line with their habitat and leave the bucks grow older for sport if no other reason.
post #7 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 12:33 AM

Casey W. Roe

Remember the "Q" in QDM means Quality...not Quantity.
post #8 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEarl
I just don't understand the stubborn reluctance in supporting antler restrictions. I don't care if it changes breeding patterns, the rut or anything else. As long as it doesn't do anything bad to the overall heard health then from a sportsment perspective as a hunter I want a little bit of a challange to shoot something other than the first dumb yearling that stumbles by me. I have practiced AR for 20 years for this reason alone. I see people cry on these forums that the only thing AR does is possably increase antler size through older bucks..... OK. What is wrong with that? The same people who cry about harvesting a cub bear or young jake turkey have no problem shooting that dumb young buck. Control the population through doe management, I didn't say wipe them out, but get them in line with their habitat and leave the bucks grow older for sport if no other reason.
post #9 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There always were big and good woodmen that could find and harvest them. Now that dumb 1 1/2 year old, ends up to be a dumb 2 1/2 year old.

I just feel that the AR should be made two to a side, not counting brow tines. Our PGC can make certain SGL's three, four or five to a side, let private landowner decide if they want to manage for trophy deer.

WMU 4C Lehigh County
post #10 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Like I have said before you hunt how you want let other hunt as they want.

Dale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page