Promised Land State Park Vacation Observations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Promised Land State Park Vacation Observations

Saw:

Bear: 1 feeding on blueberries along the lake for 15 minutes.
Turkeys: Four hens with broods.
Bald Eagles: 1
Racoons: 2
Squirrels: Many
Rabbits: 1 (first one ever in 52 years of visits)
Stump Sprouts (Many, first ones ever)
"Stuff" growing through ferns by our cabin: Some (first ever)
Looks like fence came down on big deer exclosure on lower lake road, or the growth inside finally "took over."

Deer: 0 (first time ever)

Looks like HR and DMAP has changed things a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Sage

Re: Promised Land State Park Vacation Observations

Ted, I know you have reported about PL in the past. Do you feel things are improving?

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Dutch:

Slightly.

The exclosures are impenetrable. There is one large one that was built after the tornado in 1999. The small one, that is divided into sections was built that year also. The section of that exclosure that was not cut has some growth, but still very little difference after 11 years of no deer, but there is a difference.

Two years ago, DNR opened up many small areas along the road around the park to improve the habitat. That is where I see the biggest difference. Almost all the stumps have sprouts.

HOWEVER, all over the park there is a difference, even where it was not cut. I have been going up since I am an infant and I know for a fact that there was nothing but ferns growing on the forest floor. Now there are "things" growing out of the ferns. Not a big variety, but a decent amount of whatever they are. I should have taken my field guide with me. I also noticed little if any new browsing, which means DMAP has been very successful. Everyone says they are seeing no deer.

I can't figure DNR out though. We have had two old style benches at our landing as long as I can remember. We had to remove as they said they want the lake to be as natural as possible. Fine, I don't necessarily agree, but it is their lake. However, on our walk around Conservation Island I saw two newly built benches, just like ours, right on the water. Go figure. It is stuff like that costs them a bit of credibility. They are instituting a lot of little restrictions on cabin owners. For example, we had to install new spotlights with shields on to minimize light pollution. I mean come on, this week I bet only 5% of the cabins were occupied. How big of a deal can that be. Know what I mean?

Saw a doe with twins tonight on our lease here in Schuylkill. Reports are decent, although some does appear to have none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Sage

Thanks Ted. Never questiona beauracrat and their decisions. LOL

I think without taking care of the ferns, it's a long haul getting stuff to grow. Have seen that upstate. I actually had a few blackberrys poking thru some ferns last year. I did spray an area for the ferns, but due to it's size, I think they will eat anything that comes up, except ferns.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Dutch. We have oak seedlings coming up through ferns here in our 4C lease.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Sage

Cool. There is hope!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would love to see the state step up the spraying program. The ferns, beech brush, etc, are a big problem in many areas. Might be a good way to spend some gas lease money?

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

In P.L. this weekend for our group's annual summer bash. One of our guys saw a monster buck crossing 390 at about 10 pm. The location of sighting will remain a secret.
Talked to one of the locals and he said bears are everywhere even though we didn't spot one this trip.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm in Monroe but near the part that juts into Pike. The DCNR has removed a few fences and one more is now marked w/ a sign saying it will come down as soon as they have the funding.

I see a big difference in many places outside the fences. Yeah there are many sections w/ ferns and little growth but alot of places I hunted used to be this scrub growth that was usually less than knee high. Over the past few years sections of the scrub has all shot up. All the trees killed by the gipsey moth have dropped their smaller limbs too. The result is a scrub growth that is now belt high and chock full of the fallen branches...

For 40 years this stuff was little more than ankle high and full of deer trails. Now it is getting too thick to walk thru. We know of old stone 'forts' that have been here since our camp was built in the early 30's. they all
had these wide views & alot of deer were shot from them. Now you have a hard time finding them & you can't see 1/5th as far. The deer were keeping the scrub 'trimmed' before HR.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Part of the Community

I used to live in PL and I dont ever recall seeing a lot of deer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page