Define a tine - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Define a tine

Brow tine that is

PGC says “the time immediately above the antler burr”

Personally I feel this leaves too much room for interpretation. How far is immediately? Within an inch?, 2?, 4? Their definition would mean that what everyone would consider the first tine if 8” up the main beam and even if it was 10” long could be considered a brow.

I heard some say if it is after the antler starts to curve then it’s a tine not a brow. Well some antlers don’t curve some are all curve with little to no straight.

What do you feel constitutes a brow tine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think too much is made of this wording issue. I've seen it brought up several times. I have never seen a deer on which I was confused as to whether or not a G2 was a G2. It is pretty clear when you are looking at a set of antlers. It is a difficult thing to put into words, thus the PGC description. I've seen stickers that could potentially get confusing as to whether or not they are brow tines but this doesn't matter in PA's AR. Three up doesn't include anything below the G2 and in the rest of the state it doesn't matter what you call the points or where they are as long as they are long enough.
R. S. B. and bigguy54 like this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I disagree that this is not an issue. In a 3 up wmu the brow doesnt count as a tine so it is a very important distinction. A buck that is legal in the rest of the state is not in 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, or 2d. So when is it a brow and when is it a tine. The vague wording is terrible. You can be fined or otherwise penalized due to that wording. If people are expected to follow the rules then they need to be clear and not open to interpretation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

Please show me a picture of a deer that you are unsure about.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I don’t have one specific deer in question. The issue is that this determination has to be made on the fly in the field many times in a very shout time period on a living moving animal. Either always count a 1” brow like elsewhere in the state or define the term.

Last time I discussed this with friends we were looking at a 5 point that had been on the wall for 25+ years. The first point on the left antler was 1 1/4” long and started at 3 1/2”from the “burr” on a main beam that was not longer than a foot
total and did not have much curve. The tine also came off the main beam at roughly 90deg. to what you would call straight ahead( tine Pointed straight up but came off the inside “face” towards the other antler. There were 6guys there and it came out a 3-3 vote, brow vs tine.

It may be a much easier determination to make looking at a rack on the wall but after the trigger is pulled it’s too late. It really only matters if somewhere between bang and wall you meet a Wco(oops game warden) then the buck you thought you legally harvested gets you in hot water because the 3 up you saw he says is 2plus a brow.

Last edited by Cscott1; 01-10-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: ConfusingWording
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A tine is a point off the main beam...G1, G2, etc...a brow tine is a point off the main beam between the antler burr and the G2 point.

Since all deer racks aren't created equall, and don't always have brow tines...IMO there can be no definitive definition of what a brow tine is.

Simple rule...when in doubt...DON'T SHOOT!

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post

Since all deer racks aren't created equall, and don't always have brow tines...IMO there can be no definitive definition of what a brow tine is.

Simple rule...when in doubt...DON'T SHOOT![IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/IMG]
I agree it can’t be defined.

The “simple rule” was three points. Then they clouded it up with excluding the brow in the mentioned wmu’s. You can’t build a rule around an undefinable term.

The rule as written puts every buck other than an exceptional main frame 6 or larger in question. So in effect the rule change from a few years ago only added those few exceptionally large 6 points without brow tines. The deer still has to have 8 to be 100% certain.

I didn’t start this thread to bash the rules just, I just wanted to hear what others thought on the issue.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 10:13 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

How about this guy. He's got 5 points around his bases. The next buck has two small tines around the one base. One would be a brow and one a sticker, right? And the last one, that's just a goofy brow tine....maybe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K8%2520(11)[1][1].jpg (44.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled 2.jpg (40.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg heaven big boy.jpeg (122.2 KB, 22 views)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
I agree it can’t be defined.

The “simple rule” was three points. Then they clouded it up with excluding the brow in the mentioned wmu’s. You can’t build a rule around an undefinable term.

The rule as written puts every buck other than an exceptional main frame 6 or larger in question. So in effect the rule change from a few years ago only added those few exceptionally large 6 points without brow tines. The deer still has to have 8 to be 100% certain.

I didn’t start this thread to bash the rules just, I just wanted to hear what others thought on the issue.
I don't hunt in the 3pt up areas but...IIRC...in the beginning it was 4pts to one side at least 1in long INCLUDING the brow tine...then there was complaints that brow tines were too hard to see or some other reason...so the changed it to 3 up...PERSONALLY...even here in the 3pt area I wait for 3pt up...I don't remember it ever being 3pts state wide.

I really don't think it's difficult to understand ARs...some of the questionable racks that were posted in other threads on this issue...I wouldn't have shot even if they were legal.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

All very interesting racks but all legal in these wmu’s with or without the brow/stickers. If those were the type of bucks I see I would have no need to define “brow tine”. All your pics would have been legal in the “4 points” era too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page