Define a tine - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Check out this buck's right side. The one point is a separate beam. Therefore, the brow tine is the 7 inch tine and there are only 2 up top. If both sides looked like that, it would be illegal in 3 up WMUs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg good field photo_resized.jpg (237.3 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 01:07 PM

I still don’t understand how people are under the impression that ANY buck with four points on one antler, regardless of where they are located on the antler, wouldn’t be legal.

This is the pertinent part of the regulation.

Antlered deer—

(i) In Wildlife Management Units 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B and 2D, a deer having three or more points on one antler, not including brow tines which is the point immediately above the antler burr.

Regardless of how it is worded in the digest the actual regulation makes it clear that any buck with four points on the same antler is legal or any buck with three points above where the brow time should be located is a legal buck in the applicable WMU.

Dick Bodnehorn
jimbridger and oaktowntom like this.

Last edited by R. S. B.; 01-14-2018 at 10:35 AM.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
Iím glad you can wait for a better buck, I like many pa hunters donít have that luxury. I get 3-4 days with a rifle, including Saturdayís, if Iím lucky. A few more with the flintlock. Donít have the time to put into a proper archery hunt so havenít got an permit in years. I need to take every legal Deer if I want to fill my tags.
Sorry you don't have more time to hunt...I was in the same boat in my younger days...I don't understand why you feel you "need to take every legal deer if you want to fill your tags"...not judging your motivation...it's your choice...but you must understand the limited time you have to hunt deer is the greatest factor that prevents you from reaching your goals.

IMO...it doesn't matter what the antler restrictions are...even if we went back to the 3in spike rule...hunters who complain they don't see AR legal bucks now still won't likely see them...for the same reasons they don't see them now.
tdd likes this.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOL View Post
Check out this buck's right side. The one point is a separate beam. Therefore, the brow tine is the 7 inch tine and there are only 2 up top. If both sides looked like that, it would be illegal in 3 up WMUs?
exactly the senecio I was speaking to originally. The right antler on thatbuck is a large example of a high long brow. Even scaled down to make a smaller 6 pt the length in comparison to the other points and relatively high position puts it at either a point or a brow. Itís pretty clear that no one can put an actual definition on a brow time that is able to be made in the field on the live moving animal. any restriction that doesnít count a certain type of point needs to go away. Go back to four or go to any three either works because there is no variable
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
I still donít understand how people are under the impression that ANY buck with four points on one antler, regardless of where they are located on the antler, wouldnít be legal.

This is the pertinent part of the regulation.

Antlered deeró

(i) In Wildlife Management Units 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B and 2D, a deer having three or more points on one antler, not including brow tines which is the point immediately above the antler burr.

Regardless of how it is worded in the digest the actual regulation makes it clear that any buck with four points on the same antler is legal or any buck with three points above where the brow time should be located is a legal buck in the applicable WMU.

Dick Bodnehorn
Yep four is legal but the ďbookĒ that hunters didnít receive this year(total --) doesnít say that. So anyone who bought the book or downloaded it doesnít see that.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
Sorry you don't have more time to hunt...I was in the same boat in my younger days...I don't understand why you feel you "need to take every legal deer if you want to fill your tags"...not judging your motivation...it's your choice...but you must understand the limited time you have to hunt deer is the greatest factor that prevents you from reaching your goals.

IMO...it doesn't matter what the antler restrictions are...even if we went back to the 3in spike rule...hunters who complain they don't see AR legal bucks now still won't likely see them...for the same reasons they don't see them now.
I thought it was a pretty simple statement, I have limited hunting time so in order to fill my tags, every opportunity to harvest a legal deer needs to be capitalized on because it may not present itself again.

I didnít start this thread to debat the ar system, just one ďruleĒ that left very open to interpretation. Before the ar were in place every buck that passed by was legal now only certain ones. Thatís fine Iíll follow the rules and let that spike or fork go on itís way but the people who are expected to follow the rules need to be able to understand them fully not question what they mean.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 07:25 AM

I understand the rules just fine.I also understand if I am unsure if something is legal I need to stop and assess the situation and err to the side of legality.Looking for precision deer point description isn't going to happen.Hoping a deer is legal and it actually being legal is easy.You don't count the made up points.Those points are the ones you want to be legal but are not.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page