Predators & Fawns Article - Page 15 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Predators & Fawns Article

Read the post I commented on, He said recently which is summer/early fall. Not saying they can't kill a sick or injured adult anytime the opportunity arises but if you have a study that states otherwise, instead of laughing, please show so everyone can be educated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 04:29 PM

I suppose you would need to see it for your self. A 28 lb coyote took down a 200 lb mule deer buck solo. Ham strung him, this was viewed by helicopter by gov agents doing coyote control. 2 coyotes decide its venison tonight and it is. Sure they prey much more on smaller game but, to say a fawn is too big or fast for coyotes is humorous to me. Sorry no offense intended. I have opened way to many coyote stomachs packed with deer suet to think otherwise.

One day I opened 7 stomachs, yep packed with deer suet. Rifle season was weeks away and hard to believe roadkill from that remote location.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #143 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 06:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am gonna have to go with the Penn State research rather then one unique video. As far as newborn fawns go I do have questions as to why Penn States research shows less fawn predation then most other research by other states. Not saying they are wrong, just questioning why that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONZO
I am gonna have to go with the Penn State research rather then one unique video. As far as newborn fawns go I do have questions as to why Penn States research shows less fawn predation then most other research by other states. Not saying they are wrong, just questioning why that is.

You can log onto the Deer Forest Blog and ask them any questions you have.

They will respond.
post #145 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 10:53 AM

All they need is hunger and a buddy. Coyotes have little problem, much of the time, feeding themselves. Opportunistic is how I would describe thier feeding. Next round of mass opportunity will follow the rut when some bucks are run down further than anytime of the year. When coyotes are in abundance and the opportunity arises they eat venison.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #146 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:26 AM
Wiz

Opportunistic and economics for sure. Spending more energy to get food than you take in means death to most animals. The next round of mass opportunity is going on right now in the south. Persimmons are loaded up and the deer and coyotes are hitting them all day and night long. We have trail camera photos of coyotes and deer feeding on persimmons in the same field at the same time. I picked up over 50 piles of coyote scat this past weekend with all but about 3 piles full of persimmon seeds. 2 piles had what looked to be fawn bones likely because the rut where we were at occurs in mid to late January and fawns are dropped in late July though August. Most scat didn't have any fur in it at all. This will change this coming week as archery deer season just started in Alabama. This should be a pretty good trapping season.
post #147 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz
I picked up over 50 piles of coyote scat this past weekend with all but about 3 piles full of persimmon seeds. 2 piles had what looked to be fawn bones likely because the rut where we were at occurs in mid to late January and fawns are dropped in late July though August. Most scat didn't have any fur in it at all.
Here in 5C, my neighbor trapped the first coyote that I know of in the area last year.

As a result, this year I picked up 0 coyote turds, and 0 had either persimmon, apples, or peaches. While the remaining 0 had deer hair, and my hands stayed clean too!

I can't complain but sometimes I still do - Joe Walsh
post #148 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
What I can tell you is that while I was collecting the breeding and reproductive rate data for Elk County there was a significant difference in the number of adult does being bred pre-antler restrictions to the same data post antler restrictions.
Don't forget the numbers game being played. the Doe were also reduced. HR had more impact than allowing buck to get older. HR was the fix and AR was the carrot to get us to do what had to be done. JMHO Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #149 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
It was a question, not a statement, sir.

Wiz appears to be finding fault with your fawn survey method itself, before we even get to your overlay practice of curiously absent "winter conditions" index
Nice play. when getting beat up make your enemy enemy of each other and than you get left alone.
Playing both ends against the middle is admitting one is right. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page