DMAP questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

DMAP questions

I have access to a large private property whose LO wants the deer thinned out. Getting antlerless tags previously was never an issue being that it was in 5C. It is now in 5D and the game commission inexplicably only raised antlerless tags by 6k in 5D despite the new inclusion of high density areas which makes me think that I won't be able to get many unsold tags if at all. Which in turn will make impossible to solve the LOs issue.

I know next to nothing about the DMAP program beside what I read on the PGC website which is a little obscure. I am clear on the fact that each hunter is allowed a max of 2 antlerless deer and that the tags are $10.70 each. What I don't understand is the coupon arrangement and what is needed by the landowner to enroll. This is a 50+ acre livestock farm with no crops at this time. If he were to qualify for only 1 coupon, does that restrict hunting on his property beyond the 2 deer per hunter limit?

I would like to go to the landowner with the DMAP info if he qualifies so any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 PM
dce
Sage

Re: DMAP questions

You're allowed a max of two dmap tags per person per dmap'd property.In other words,you can hunt 5 different dmap properties and kill 10 additional deer.

All the landowner has to do is send a dmap application asking for the nuber of tags he wants.He should get 1/5 acres of ag land.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply dce.

Looking more closely at the actual application as it relates to this situation, the LO has more than 50 acres that qualify as hayfields and pastures. Application says 1 coupon for every 5 acres which would provide for needed deer management outside of having to provide a management plan. However the whole coupon/tag thing has me confused. The application speaks of distributing coupons to hunters.

Does a coupon equal a tag? Or 2 purchased tags? Is DMAP hunting subject to the PGC hunting seasons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 09:20 AM
RB
Sage

Each coupon is a tag, the landowner gives the coupons to the hunter, the hunter then redeems it and 10.70 for a tag via the PAGC license site , you just enter the property and coupon # and it knows where to make the tag out for, other than that it is like getting a regular doe license.

Hunters can get a limit of 2 coupons/tags for that property.

You can use a DMAP whenever it is legal to harvest doe, + the first week of rifle season if you are in a buck only WMU. It does not have its own season like a red tag.

The landowner will be allowed 1 coupon/5 acres ag or 1 coupon / 50 acres of forest. They can get more if they also submit a detailed management plan but the above is standard.

Also, you (hunter) MUST report kill or no kill for every DMAP.

Also thanks for the reminder, landowners need to apply by 5/1.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

I called the LO this morning and after I explained the PGC WMU change and then presented this program as a possible solution he immediately said yes. I will meet with him this week to finalize the application. Thanks for your help!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 07:06 PM
dce
Sage

I ask for more than the allotment every year but I send in a pretty detailed explanation.Twice,they've called me to clarify but always understood and gave me what I've asked for.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:29 PM

I asked for 5. I hope I get them. When they went to Buck only the 1st week of rifle, it really put hurt the ability to manage the antlerless in my area. My crew are one of the only bigger crews that would harvest any meaningful amount of Doe. Many immediate bordering landowners will not harvest Doe.

I am on a PLO program (Private LandOwner) with the PGC. Got on one some 10 years ago after meeting with the SW Regional Biologist. I submitted my PLO number along with my application. I should have included photographic evidence of my shrubbery also.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page