Deer herd - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Deer herd

I was born in Pennsylvania and come back to deer hunt. Paying the non-resident license to enjoy the time with my brother. It is a good thing I enjoy visiting my brother because what has happened to the deer herd is criminal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Deer herd

I have hunted Tioga county since 1977. I have never had a problem finding & killing deer. The herd is lower then in the 90's, must hunt a little differently now, but still can find deer.
post #3 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Plenty of deer still around from what I see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:04 PM

yeah, we only kill about 340,000 now.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #5 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDi
I was born in Pennsylvania and come back to deer hunt. Paying the non-resident license to enjoy the time with my brother. It is a good thing I enjoy visiting my brother because what has happened to the deer herd is criminal.
I agree!
post #6 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I started hunting Pa in 1963. It was not unusual to see 100 deer a day. Not anymore since they decided to kill off the does to attract trophy hunters. How did that work out for them as far as numbers of hunting licenses sold. The sales have been declining over the last 10 years. We are talking 100,000 or more. From over 1,000,000 to 900,000.
post #7 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
I started hunting Pa in 1963. It was not unusual to see 100 deer a day. Not anymore since they decided to kill off the does to attract trophy hunters. How did that work out for them as far as numbers of hunting licenses sold. The sales have been declining over the last 10 years. We are talking 100,000 or more. From over 1,000,000 to 900,000.
Do you honestly think seeing 100 deer in a day was good for the deer and the forests they lived in? Or doesn't it matter as long as you saw bunches deer and maybe a spike buck to shoot?

As for trophy hunting that was never the goal of deer management plan.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #8 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:18 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chunter
Plenty of deer still around from what I see.
X2
post #9 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Quote:
Do you honestly think seeing 100 deer in a day was good for the deer and the forests they lived in? Or doesn't it matter as long as you saw bunches deer and maybe a spike buck to shoot?

As for trophy hunting that was never the goal of deer management plan.
Sure it was I can produce the video of Alt holding up the bigger rack to dangle the carrot in front of the hunters to get his program pushed through. The premise was Bigger Bucks better age structure (which has been a total failure). Less deer so the forest would regenerate itself without managing it. It was not very well thought out from the beginning and it still is not. But bigger buck was definitely a major selling point to this disaster.
post #10 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Oh, you mean holding up a rack that wasn't from a 1.5 year old buck. Guess it's all in ones perspective.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page