How does your area look for forest regeneration? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

How does your area look for forest regeneration?

Went scouting today with a focus on the forest understory. I was pleasantly surprised by my observation. I walked about 3 miles in a loop and came across significant understory made up of different species of saplings ranging from 6" to 6 feet tall. Good diversity and density. Also saw significant deer sign. It doesn't take a lot of deer to make a lot of sign, but this sign was fresh and widespread. The area is in 2A and I will definitely be hunting the area come fall. On a side note, came upon a rub on a 3" sumac and the top to bottom gouges were 5 feet apart with the top gouge 6 1/2' up the tree. Any thoughts to the height of the rack to make a gouge that high up? Seems impressive to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 11:06 PM
The Man

Re: How does your area look for forest regeneration?

Historical accounts say that Tioga County in the 1790's had a very alpine look. White Pine, Hemlock. Hardwoods in the highlands.

Where there has been no cutting of the side hills in the last 125..150 years, there is now tens of thousands of white pine seedlings emerging. A good amount of hemlock seedlings also is found.

So, I guess the natural flow of things takes over and it reverts back to what it likes to be.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 12:01 AM

The areas I have been hunting and spending time in since I retired are generally looking better than they have looked in nearly a half century. I am seeing a lot of places with some pretty good regeneration compared to what was occurring just a decade ago but that still doesnít mean all is well.

I am also seeing a lot of areas that have been almost totally taken over with invasive species that donít leave a bright outlook for the future for a number of native species of trees/shrubs or wildlife. We are also losing a lot of important wildlife beneficial species like our mature mast producing beech and our ever important wintering grounds hemlock to disease and/or forest pests.

Hopefully nature can correct for and ward off some of these seemingly pending habitat concerns or disasters for the future before they become a major concern and inhibitor for our native species.

But, in general things are still better habitat wise today than they were just a short decade ago.

Dick Bodenhorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 01:33 AM

The areas of 3D that I hunt seem to be doing fair to good. Still plenty of fences being used and in some cases needed. IMHO.
The areas of 3B that I hunt are doing good to great. Still some areas using fences but I have no idea why. Some lumber company land that does not fence cuts are growing so thick most would not want to hunt deer there for the next decade. The mix of trees is unreal. Some QDMA fences look like a joke on the same land. These are small areas that someone was trying to prove a point with but the outside is better than the inside and I don't know why. The oak in one area is so thick grouse need to walk out to take off. The trees seem to be from seed and for some reason the stump shoots seemed to have failed on all but the hard maple. Even seeing some chestnut pop uphere and there. Don't know how long it will last but surprised to see it in an area I hunted for close to 40 years.

Some SGL's to the far north of 3B have great small game habitat cut from a mature forest. All hinge cut and left to lay with great regen of popular, aspin or the likes with pine mixed in. Not much for top canopy types just yet but A fine job done by the PGC cover crew. Things are looking up. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I spend a lot of time in the woods in 2G the year around. Been doing this for over 60 years.
I have my favorite areas that I pay attention to.
I can honestly say I haven't seen any difference since the deer herd was decimated.
In all fairness, it may be a little early to pass final judgment.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 06:31 PM
The Man

Private lands look a lot better.There's more deer there but it's also cut more.Most of the state forest looks as open as it was 20 years ago but now with fewer deer.

Winner of the pillow fight championship.Featherweight division
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:01 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeinchmag
Private lands look a lot better.There's more deer there but it's also cut more.Most of the state forest looks as open as it was 20 years ago but now with fewer deer.
Seriously?I see the exact opposite.I see the regeneration on private land as pure junk because it was logged without considering the future.At this point around here,I see the habitat on the public land being better than the habitat on private land in the majority of cases.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think you are right on this, 3 properties around me have been logged in the last 5 yrs and everyone has been high graded. Sad to see.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 02:40 PM
dce
Sage

It's very sad to see.We have thousands of acres around here that used to be owned by timber companies who managed the properties very well.For some reason,they sold off huge tracts of land to investment corporations who went in and raped and high graded everything.It's pure garbage today.Most of that land was then leased and a good amount of it was bought by nature conservancies.Alot of that land has been or will be turned over to the PGC or DCNR and they'll get the blame.There's 1200 acres right near my house where that was done.It makes me sick to see it today,even though it's now open to the public.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 PM
dce
Sage

There's another 1000+ acres behind my property where the timber rights were sold back in the 1980's.The property owner got the timber rights back this past year but not before it was trashed for about the past 7 years.There is zero preferred regeneration now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page