AR Has Really Changed Attitudes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

AR Has Really Changed Attitudes

How times have changed....

I was at the Paint Borough Sportsmen's Club meeting last night and everybody was commenting on the 8 point buck we saw going into the club grounds before the meeting. It was a big bodied deer but the rack, even though it was an 8 point, was rather small. Most comments were, I'd pass that one up because the rack is too small. That got me thinking, from the time I started hunting in 1978 until probably about 5 years ago, an 8 point was a trophy buck, no matter what mass size or spread. The last few years, I've heard hunters talking about passing up smaller racked legal bucks to actually ridiculing other hunters because the legal buck that someone shot had too thin main beams and tines or the spread was only 14 inches wide.

It's amazing how a controversial law change in 2002 has really changed attitudes. And in my opinion, for the better.

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 09:28 AM

Re: AR Has Really Changed Attitudes

slowly we are moving in the right direction
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 12:39 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Being more aware of age structure, being more educated as hunters, and being more willing to selectively harvest deer based on certain criteria are, I agree, good things.

Ridiculing hunters is never good. Period. If a guy kills a legal game animal and is happy with his take, there is nothing for another hunter to say but "congratulations." Just my opinion....but the divisiveness is not a good byproduct of the law. I am a fan of AR, as I think the number of antlered deer I see is exponentially higher than it was prior to AR, but I am very disappointed when I see hunters ridiculing each other for what amounts to personal standards.

My dad, for example, isn't real concerned with antler size, but he does like to take a buck each year, so he really is only looking for "legal". I have passed smaller, but legal, bucks, in hopes of seeing a bigger one. Sometimes that works out, and sometimes it doesn't, but the point is- my dad's personal standards for what he shoots are his, and it's not my place to impose mine over his. It's his tag, he can use it as he sees fit. Same in my case. He doesn't tell me what to shoot anymore than I tell him what to shoot.

End result- we both hunt, enjoy our seasons, and make our own decisions on what will get us to punch our one buck tag.

I met a young bowhunter last year on public land. He was 18 or 19 years old, and he'd killed a "9" point. I use quotes, because to get to 9, you had to count some "bumps" that were nowhere near an inch long, but he saw it as a 9pt, so who am I to argue, lol. I helped him drag it out (he was on property bordering where I was hunting, and his friends coming to help made such a ruckus that my hunt was over before it started), helped him load it in his truck, congratulated him, and gave him my cell number and told him that since he was hunting near the edge of the place I control access to, if he ever had a deer go across the line, to call me first, but that we'd never keep him from going after a deer he hit...so long as he called before going on the property. Shook his (bloody) hand, and headed off for home.

That young buck would have been an eye opener this year, and next year, would have been a jaw dropper. But....that kid will never, ever forget that deer, I'm convinced. And a young hunter being hooked is never a bad thing. Ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

TDD. I agree completely.

I am 100% for a better age structure and larger racks, but... I introduced my wife to hunting in 2008 and then her dad, at 59 years old in 2011. Their first two bucks, both 8 points and completely legal even before the "3 Up" rule" in 2D, would both fit inside the last two bucks I killed. I could not have been more happy to have been with each of them when they were able to harvest their first bucks, and I don't think that either of them could have been happier.

I fully support that a legal buck is a legal buck. For me, I want more, I want 125"+. That is why I hunt like I do.

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 01:26 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Thanks, MaddiesDad.

I will probably not be picky this year. I have a daughter coming into the field to hunt with me this year, first time she'll be hunting and not just watching, and I'd like to put some meat in the freezer with the bow and then focus on her hunting in rifle season. If I don't get horns, so be it. I'd rather see her do it, anyway.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 01:32 PM

I have not taken less than an eight pointer since 1982 and in those days I would see a lot of spikes, fours, sixes and smaller smaller 8 points. Over the years the racks I am seeing on an average are much larger than years ago.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 03:49 PM
dce
Sage

My nine year old killed a couple dinks the last couple of years along with some does.This year he claims "he's not wasting a tag on any more spikes or 3 pointers lol"We'll see what happens the first time a small buck walks in front of him.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 11:02 PM

while some attitudes have changed, most hunters are still fine with any legal buck. and i'm fine with that attitude.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd
Being more aware of age structure, being more educated as hunters, and being more willing to selectively harvest deer based on certain criteria are, I agree, good things.

Ridiculing hunters is never good. Period. If a guy kills a legal game animal and is happy with his take, there is nothing for another hunter to say but "congratulations." Just my opinion....but the divisiveness is not a good byproduct of the law. I am a fan of AR, as I think the number of antlered deer I see is exponentially higher than it was prior to AR, but I am very disappointed when I see hunters ridiculing each other for what amounts to personal standards.

My dad, for example, isn't real concerned with antler size, but he does like to take a buck each year, so he really is only looking for "legal". I have passed smaller, but legal, bucks, in hopes of seeing a bigger one. Sometimes that works out, and sometimes it doesn't, but the point is- my dad's personal standards for what he shoots are his, and it's not my place to impose mine over his. It's his tag, he can use it as he sees fit. Same in my case.
....This is one of the best posts here in a long time. I am very selective, I only target older bucks (3.5 and up). I don't get much of a challenge harvesting younger deer. Do I wish more people held my views, you bet! But, I understand that everyone has their own reasons for shooting what they shoot. As long as it's legal, who am I to judge. If it makes you happy, God Bless you, have fun. For me personally though, I don't need to shoot a buck. I have no problem eating tag soup several years in a row. I still shoot a few doe to eat while holding out.

Obama/Biden-Change You Can Believe In If You Feel It's The Government's Job To Provide For You.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I guess my attitude hasn't changed. To me a spike is every bit the trophy a 160 class buck is. I will say the 160 class brings more bragging opportunities but it doesn't necessarily mean the hunter spent more time in the woods, worked harder for it or was a better hunter just lucky to be in the right place at the right time. I am in no way demeaning anyone's choice to shoot B&C class antlers. To tell the truth I saw more large antlered deer in my hunting area prior to AR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page