Woodcock in Decline ¯ ¯State Of Birds¯ Report 2014 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Woodcock in Decline – “State Of Birds” Report 2014

Earlier this week “The State Of The Birds 2014” report was released and placed Woodcock in the category of “range restricted/troubling decline - high threat”. This is yet another source that helps explain the massive decline in PA’s Woodcock harvest seen below.

All references point to there being fewer Woodcock today than in years past. And this can be attributed to neglect of our forests. Without a higher % of trees cut *ANNUALLY*, nothing changes (Game Lands included ).

Do you believe me now?

Don't take my word, listen to NPR’s coverage of the topic here. I thought they gave hunters due respect by crediting recovery of wetland bird species to hunter funding that helped restore this type of habitat. They also indicated that it is now time to put our efforts into restoring young forest habitat to restore bird species that live there.

See: http://www.youngforest.org/

Notice the decline in “Eastern Forests” below. Time to fire up the chainsaws!

Quote:
Originally Posted by State Of The Birds 2014

OUR APPROACH

Assessment of U.S. Birds by Habitat

Because healthy bird populations depend on both the quality and quantity of their habitats, our State of the Birds approach focuses on species that are dependent on a single primary habitat type—we define these species as habitat obligates. For this report, we identified obligate species in oceans, coasts, inland wetlands, forests, aridlands, and grasslands, as well as species found on Hawai`i, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and other U.S. island territories. A listing of species in each habitat and a map of U.S. habitats based on USGS GAP National Land Cover can be found at www.stateofthebirds.org

Bird Population Indicators: A Measure of
Environmental Health

The underlying principle of State of the Birds reports is that the health of populations of bird species found only within a habitat reflects the overall health of that habitat. To assess the health of bird populations, we used data from several continental-scale monitoring programs that have provided consistent data since 1968 (or since 1974 for shorebirds). For each obligate species, we assigned a habitat type and estimated the population change up to 2012 with the appropriate survey, then combined the estimates of trends for species in the habitat into a composite estimate of change. This composite estimate of change is used as the bird population indicator for the habitat. The statistical approaches we use for estimation of the bird population indicators were first used in the 2009 State of the Birds report.

Tracking Change in U.S. Bird Populations

In this report, we use information from the North American Breeding Bird Survey, the Audubon Christmas Bird Count, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s Spring Breeding Ground Waterfowl Survey, and the American Woodcock Singing-ground Survey. A new indicator was developed from monitoring data of migrating shorebirds, using data from the International Shorebird Survey, the Atlantic Canada Shorebird Survey, and the Ontario Shorebird Survey. Detailed information about these surveys and species used in each analysis are provided on the State of the Birds website (www.stateofthebirds.org)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do - Joe Walsh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 06:15 PM
The Man

Re: Woodcock in Decline – “State Of Birds” Report 2014

Same goes for grouse and turkey.

Winner of the pillow fight championship.Featherweight division
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 PM

wow. i wonder what caused the huge drop in woodcock harvest between '88 and '90? was there some kind of change in regulations? some kind of disease that decimated woodcock populations? mebey something as simple as a new reporting procedure?

not disputing the op's facts or his opinions, just wondering why the harvest declined by 100,000 birds in just a year or two. it does look like the harvest has remained somewhat steady for the last 15 or so years, wouldn't that equate to a stable population?

Pence/Putin 2024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 08:16 PM
dce
Sage

Why anyone would want to shoot a woodcock is beyond me.I killed one once and wanted to throw up when I tried to eat it.Never bothered killing another one after that.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've seen more woodcock the last 5 to 6 years than I had 20 years ago. I can' t say the same for turkey, grouse or pheasant. In general, hunting for small game has dropped quite a bit in the last 30 years which has to have an impact on harvest as well. Remember, at it's peak, Pennsylvania had 1.3 million hunters!

The horizon is your starting point.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperrick
I've seen more woodcock the last 5 to 6 years than I had 20 years ago. I can' t say the same for turkey, grouse or pheasant. In general, hunting for small game has dropped quite a bit in the last 30 years which has to have an impact on harvest as well. Remember, at it's peak, Pennsylvania had 1.3 million hunters!
I see them all the time, there are a ton of them in my neck of the woods.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 11:42 AM
dce
Sage

I've seen more in the past 5 months than I've seen in a long time as well.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
I've seen more in the past 5 months than I've seen in a long time as well.
Well, that settles it then.

The survey completed by 3 anonymous message board members hereby supersedes the years of work by 1000’s of individuals from 23 conservation groups, universities, and the Smithsonian Institute. Never mind…

This is a riot! RSB is missing all the fun!

I can't complain but sometimes I still do - Joe Walsh
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:01 PM
dce
Sage

I believe the woodcock population is down from years ago.I'm not so sure the bears have eaten all of Kips's deer though.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 06:57 PM
The Man

No there's an overall decline in grouse also.Not enough clearcutting in the northeastern forests.There's been more then enough articles on it.

Winner of the pillow fight championship.Featherweight division

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page