Why can't I hunt does during Opening day of Deer?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Why can't I hunt does during Opening day of Deer??

I'm in 4A. Deer density is down per most in our area post the Alt plan. What is the reason for split sex season??? Is this permanent or just a fix for overallocation in a same sex season.

I can't answer the question my sons are asking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 01:38 AM
The Man

Re: Why can't I hunt does during Opening day of Deer??

Im in 4A and glad they went to it. I and many others felt numbers was down and somebody realized that actually counted. Prior 2002 that's the way it was and I for one will be happy to see some does survive the first week. Other hand if you really want to kill one that bad on opening day get some CWD-2 tags.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 09:16 AM
The Man

Hunters in the woods exceed the supply of deer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus42tang
Hunters in the woods exceed the supply of deer.
Short, simple, and to the point
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hunt in 4A also, and I too am glad that we went to a split season again. I personally wouldnt mind seeing a 2 day doe season for a couple of years, mite help get the numbers back up a little!

But then again i guess im one of the "rare" few that is out there for the "hunt" and not just the kill! I have seen a severe numbers decline in my area each year for a while now, but with early MZ season, archery season, rifle, and the late season, i dont know anyone who cant fill a doe tag or two if they want too, just gotta put the time and effort into it, just cant walk 30 yds from your truck and slaughter them anymore!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by missed again
I'm in 4A. Deer density is down per most in our area post the Alt plan. What is the reason for split sex season??? Is this permanent or just a fix for overallocation in a same sex season.

I can't answer the question my sons are asking?

I January the BOC had 4A slated as a full concurrent WMU. Commissioner Layton proposed and got the change making it a split concurrent season during the April meeting.

Changing concurrent or split concurrent is something that should be well publicized weeks before the April meeting.

I personally think it matters to people more than what allocations are made. A change in this one item can totally change the ability to hunt, how vacation time is planned, and can cause increased outlays of cash to hunt the changed season.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 12:51 PM

I agree with Bluetick. Things should be settled earlier if possible? I am now retired and don't hunt that gmu but over the years I worked several jobs where you put in your vacation reguest before Jan. 1st for the year. When things change later you are SOL.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the explanation Bluetick. As far as being able to tag a doe with all the extra seasons, I agree to an extent. late ML is tough period. Early ML and archery are OK, problem is with limited vacation, weekends are my only time to hunt, and I lose half those days due to No Sunday hunting. So I really only get 3 or 4 days for archery or early ML, and taggin a doe is not that easy in that short of time with that equipment. Plus I'm not that good of a hunter.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I understand the vacation needing to be set up by a certain date in some cases, mine included, but the GC cannot control every aspect of every hunters situations! I believe that if something is implemented, this year (april) then it shod not be implemented into the affected season till the following year. This gives people the chance to work around these things.

If you want to hunt then most people can figure out ways to make it happen, some will not like the way things are done and some will, this is no different than any other aspect of our lives! I have hunted from a very you g age, some years due to my own personal life/work schedule, i didnt get to hunt at all or atleast very little (one or two days), then some years i was laid off the whole season and was able to hunt every day if i chose to.

The bottom line is, enjoy everything while it lasts, things change, sometimes you just need to adapt and move on. Alot of people complain there are no deer left, but then complain that they dont get ample chances to kill whats left. So what, give it some time and maybe the hunting will get better, you can have i both ways, fill all your tags now and have nohin for later, or sacrifice a tag or two for a couple years and have a better resource for the future! Ultimately it is our choice (all hunters) as to the future of our sport!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:46 PM
The Man

I agree, we both probably remember the day you had 2 weeks of buck than 2 went o 3 days of doe. No early muzzy no flintlock bow was here but not a lot in to it. You knew that time period and worked out out to go hunting. Also you was allowed 1 and only one deer you name the way you took it. 4A is mainly Bedford county, Bedford county in the day allocated 6k permits give or take and if you took a buck the $5.50 doe tag was no good. I think things have came a long way for the hunter to harvest a deer compared to back in the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page