DMA2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

DMA2

As soon as you open the Game Commissions web page the DMA2 is posted at the top of the page, if you click on it, this is what it states....

DMA2 ANTLERLESS DEER PERMIT PROGRAM
The Commission will make 13,000 permits available to eligible individuals to allow the harvest of antlerless deer in Disease Management Area 2 (DMA2) during the 2014/2015 hunting license/permit year.

OK, so this is a way to help stave off any wide spread CWD problems in our deer herd and hopefully not hit the elk herd. I fully agree with any methods they deem appropriate to limit the disease.

My question is, why antlerless only?

As far as I know, CWD does not affect just antlerless deer. I believe these permits should go for bucks of any size as well.

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 03:35 AM
The Man

Re: DMA2

Interesting, I remember the day when my county only had 6000 doe permits. Now you see how many there is out there, but it never will be a second buck.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Perhaps the PGC is issueing these permits not just to control CWD, but also with the intention of adjusting the Buck/Doe ratio which may not be optimal at this time?

MAGA 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 03:33 PM
The Man

I have been in to it pretty deep since I hunt and own property in 4A of which is cwd-2. There intent is reduce for control of cwd, weather that theory works I cant say. Another thing unit 4A went to a split season for first time this year. Doing so they kept the same allocation as previous years where most of times units going to split season allocated more. Maybe this could be pat of it also. Its going to be a pita in some ways for non removing some parts out of unit.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 03:19 PM
New Arrival

The wild deer most likely to move CWD to new areas will be young <span style="text-decoration: underline">buck</span> as they disperse 10ís of miles from their motherís home range. FARTHER than any other deer in the herd.

PAGC knows this risk but will never get rid of AR or allow multiple buck to be taken by hunters! Big mistake.

The only 2 things in life that make it worth liviní, are guitars tuned good & firm-feeliní women.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Sage

You have a new commissioner for the DMA2 area that still wants more deer in WMU 4A. He stood tall in his slashing of the allocation even as 4A was going to split concurrent.

The GC has watched and learned from other states how total elimination or attempted elimination of a deer herd plays out. They aren't doing that here. In a wild herd it just does not work. The spread of the disease can be slowed by reducing the number of deer, but the disease can not be eliminated.

Symptoms of infection can take up to 5 years to show. The prions can last in the soil for 18 to 20 years.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 02:36 AM
The Man

I was wondering why they don't or maybe im missing it of how many of the special CWD-2 tags are still available?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
My question is, why antlerless only?
Same reason as for HR. Hunters will accept it. No need making the ones who will carry out the task angy. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mayhoffer
The wild deer most likely to move CWD to new areas will be young buck as they disperse 10ís of miles from their motherís home range. FARTHER than any other deer in the herd.
You're correct, but at the time these deer are dispersing, they are usually still button bucks, which makes them legal antlerless deer.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Part of the Community

I live in 4A and I've got quite a few questions as to why the PGC has taken this route as well. Why just does, why not just an extra "deer" tag so to speak instead, shoot a buck or a doe. How will eliminating more does do anything, how many does will a buck breed in a year? If a buck is infected with CWD, can he pass it on when he breeds a doe, if so, if there are less does in a area, a buck will travel further to find does to breed, hence new areas infected? Also, if symptoms typically don't show up till 4-5 years, why increase the kill, how many deer in 4A live to even be that age, I don't think too many. It just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense that they changed allocations on does , made it a split season, yet then came back and offer 13K DMA tags, that can be used anytime of the season. In my opinion this just doesn't make much sense.

When the tailgate drops, the -- stops...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page