Iowa and Illionois - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Iowa and Illionois

I'VE been poking around some midwest forums and hunters are really up in arms about their declining deer herds.I have no no idea what their actual deer densities are like or the state of the habitat but they seem to be as bitter as the hunters in Pa.One thing I noticed is that they don't seem to like the farm bureau having a greater say in deer numbers than hunters even though they're the ones granting access and feeding the deer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 04:10 PM
The Man

Re: Iowa and Illionois

Midwest hunters are spoiled rotten.

All you have to do is see a truckbed full of antler sheds collected on ONE farm, in one season, to know their deer density is (or was) thru the roof. I seem to recall reading reference to numbers in excess of 100 dpsm a few years back. Outrageous

I can't complain but sometimes I still do - Joe Walsh
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 04:28 PM

Agriculture and plotting is allowing deer numbers to be way above the carrying capacity of the native habitat. Their game agencies are struggling to get deer numbers under control via antlerless harvest. And hunters are fighting them there as where.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think that the problem that many midwestern residents/hunters is that they really don't how good that they have it or had it as far as a deer herd goes. The deer numbers have dropped in the states listed above and the "hunting" has actually become more difficult. I do understand their complaints as many of us in this state have seen the decline in our deer numbers and react in a similar fashion. But the midwestern hunters really don't know how good that they have had it, especially in terms of trophy/quality buck hunting.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If its not public land then why are the hunters crying? They have no say in how a private entity is entitled to manage their own ground.
They could have it worse... They could have a couple million acres of public ground that was bought with hunter dollars and continued to be funded by hunting dollars and STILL have NO SAY on how it gets managed......
aheeeeeeem..............
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:54 AM

DCE:

I have a hunting buddy who spends a lot of time in Illinois each year, including spring scouting, shed hunting and stand prep. He has been going for about seven years.

He spends the entire rut at an outfitter that he now helps in exchange for hunting privileges. He says the numbers are way down all over Pike County. They have had some disease issues along with an increase in predators, but no one is really sure what the problem is.

I was in eastern Wyoming this year, similar issues there, but they strongly believe predators are increasing dramatically, especially mountain lions.

Ted
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 10:26 AM

I've been going to West Central Illinois since 1998 in Pike, Adams and Brown Counties. I'm currently hunting a 600 acres lease in Brown. Deer numbers are down some but not all that much. There was a noticeable EHD die-off last summer that hit pretty hard in isolated areas. Our place lost 5 bucks and 6 does to EHD and judging by the bucks, all of them died within a very short time span. All were still in velvet but had fully grown, hardened antlers. After all that, we had trailcam photos of 11 different "shooters" (bucks at or over 125") that survived the season. Less deer? yep. Still too many? probably. Still good huntable numbers of quality? Absolutely.

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page