Is it any wonder? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Is it any wonder?

Gary Ault traversed the state promoting HR and AR as a THREE year plan to fix the state's deer herd and forest regeneration. There never was a plan to to follow it up with a study. After 13yrs. of the 3yr. plan, a report comes out. Duane Diefenbach, Adjunct Professor of Wildlife Ecology and leader of the U.S. Geological Survey's Pa. Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Unit at Penn State (just another armchair biologist to JohnS) says quote "In the last decade, deer impacts were reduced in many wildlife manag.units with lower deer populations. Anecdotal observations suggest forest regeneration has improved. But large scale quantitative forest analysis and monitoring has failed to indicate changes in forest regeneration." The PGC finally decides to do a study which they say could take 5yrs. Pa. hunters are being asked to wait almost 20yrs. to determine if a 3yr. plan is working. Is there any wonder there is some distrust of the PGC.
A report has come out that the "departing" ED may be paid over $200,000. Sadly, the license buying hunters will probably never know (due to confidentiality agreements) the true reason for this pay out. I say again, Is there any wonder there is some distrust for the PGC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Sage

Re: Is it any wonder?

Actually the term armchair managers was directed at you and others who read a report and only pick out what they think serves their purposes put your spin on it and present it out of context. You have not come to this site to learn anything or to contribute anything, your are just here to impress yourself by throwing out garbage, and then expect people to buy into it. I would say more about your negative posts since day one and what they prove but I would get some time in the shade and you quite simply are not worth it.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven hill
Gary Ault traversed the state promoting HR and AR as a THREE year plan to fix the state's deer herd and forest regeneration. There never was a plan to to follow it up with a study. After 13yrs. of the 3yr. plan, a report comes out. Duane Diefenbach, Adjunct Professor of Wildlife Ecology and leader of the U.S. Geological Survey's Pa. Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Unit at Penn State (just another armchair biologist to JohnS) says quote "In the last decade, deer impacts were reduced in many wildlife manag.units with lower deer populations. Anecdotal observations suggest forest regeneration has improved. But large scale quantitative forest analysis and monitoring has failed to indicate changes in forest regeneration." The PGC finally decides to do a study which they say could take 5yrs. Pa. hunters are being asked to wait almost 20yrs. to determine if a 3yr. plan is working. Is there any wonder there is some distrust of the PGC.
A report has come out that the "departing" ED may be paid over $200,000. Sadly, the license buying hunters will probably never know (due to confidentiality agreements) the true reason for this pay out. I say again, Is there any wonder there is some distrust for the PGC?
So wildlife management professional, Professor Duane Diefenbach, says that even with fewer deer many of the forests arenít regenerating as much or as fast as they had hoped and even expected. Then he goes on to say that they intend to do scientific studies to help determine what other factors are limiting the forest regeneration and you and some of your goofy friends see that as a negative?

What do you think they should do, just say ďoh well the heck with it, lets see if we can force more deer to live on even less food?Ē

The fact is you canít have more deer unless you have more food to feed more deer, nature simply will not allow it. So why do you think studying the reasons would be a waste of time and money?

Since they obviously donít know what they reasons are and you obviously donít think they should study the issue of poor forest health even with fewer deer, just what do you think they should do to correct the problem?

Dick Bodenhorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 05:55 PM

theres always been some who "distrust" the pgc, nuthin' new there. iv'e been hearing how the deer herds going to get wiped out since i was a kid, but that hasn't happened, heck we kill over 300,000 a year here. so when i hear folks complaining about the pgc, i tell them to look at the big picture, and those with any common sense have to agree we have things pretty good in this state.

i think about the opportunities we now have, that didn't exist when i was a kid.

turkeys everywhere, 2 spring tags now.

highest bear harvests ever.

unbelievable goose hunting opportunities, spring & fall.

elk season.

bear archery season.

8 week deer archery season.

multiple deer in a season.

early muzzy, early rifle for jr's & sr's.

bobcat season.

has there ever been more opportunities for hunters in pa?

Pence/Putin 2024
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Actually the term armchair managers was directed at you and others who read a report and only pick out what they think serves their purposes put your spin on it and present it out of context. You have not come to this site to learn anything or to contribute anything, your are just here to impress yourself by throwing out garbage, and then expect people to buy into it. I would say more about your negative posts since day one and what they prove but I would get some time in the shade and you quite simply are not worth it.
He or she is entitled to their opinion and should be free to express them without constant attacks and attempts to quiet their opinions.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 08:33 PM

More opportunity, less hunters, can harvest quite a few deer if you maximize your efforts wisely. It worked as far as I'm concerned. The mess wasn't created in 3 years how could it be reversed in 3 yrs? Welcome to our instant gratification society!

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Sage

I don't know, why don't you tell me. I think intentional nonsense as being spewed by the individual you are defending just to stir the pot deserves to be called out as such. If you don't like it, don't read my posts. I don't think anyone here needs a butinsky to defend them. In the imortal words of Monty Walsh, "you just can't imagine how little I care" about your opinion of what I do or say.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven hill
So wildlife management professional, Professor Duane Diefenbach, says that even with fewer deer many of the forests arenít regenerating as much or as fast as they had hoped and even expected. Then he goes on to say that they intend to do scientific studies to help determine what other factors are limiting the forest regeneration and you and some of your goofy friends see that as a negative?

What do you think they should do, just say ďoh well the heck with it, lets see if we can force more deer to live on even less food?Ē

The fact is you canít have more deer unless you have more food to feed more deer, nature simply will not allow it. So why do you think studying the reasons would be a waste of time and money?

Since they obviously donít know what they reasons are and you obviously donít think they should study the issue of poor forest health even with fewer deer, just what do you think they should do to correct the problem?

Dick Bodenhorn
totally wrong RSB. I think the new study is great. My problem is why did it take so long? You just stated in your post that nature will not allow more deer without more food. If that is true, why is the PGC playing Mother Nature by trying to regulate the herd? PGC sold HR on the lack of forest regeneration, and now it MAY prove to be a false premise.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

JohnS, you are on here to spew garbage that I don't care for either. If you don't like what I post, don't read it. Typical defense of an argument is to try and belittle and insult the other opinion. Did your handlers tell you to quit using the funny faces with your posts?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Sage

Nah, they just told me that you were hardly worth bothering with, but I get bored sometimes. Don't worry, you daddy is looking out for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page