Odd/funny happenings while hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Odd/funny happenings while hunting

What's the oddest thing that has ever happened to you while out hunting? I have a few.
I had a hot air balloon fly over me about 100 feet up. Well, no deer around here...lol. Same place....I hear something in the bushes and out walks a lady and a little kid out looking for a horse that got away. I told her she couldn't have picked a worse time to go look for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:22 PM

Re: Odd/funny happenings while hunting

I was out Turkey Hunting in the spring and I was sitting there calling and calling and I heard some leaves ruffle and out pops a peacock 20 yards away! fan spread and everything. I also had a guy with a metal detector walk right under my stand the first day of rifle season!

WORK HARD TO PLAY HARD!

Shooting The X
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 PM

Last year in flintlock, I could see a house on the opposite hill, where I was fortunate enough to watch 2 neighbors duke it out in the front yard. I told the landowner about the fight and his response was "those 2 guys are always fighting". He referred to them as the 2 old guys from "Grumpy Old Men"

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:25 PM

I had a guy walk up a deer trail I was watching while I was up in the tree stand. He was sneaking up the trail oblivious to anything more than 6 feet off the ground when he had that "itch".Well as he stood there "digging" I figured he must have been using poison ivy as toilet paper. After nearly a minute of scratching relief he was looking around and spied me spying him. The look on his face was priceless!
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 PM

I have a very large family and normally have about 15 to 20 relatives hunting the same general area as I do. The second day of rifle season is when we all get together to put on drives.

A few years ago, In '03 I think, we had quite a bit of action in the morning. I went in around 11 or so to grab a bite to eat and refill the water bottles. Got back out around 12:30, parked and walked down to the railroad bed. Saw 2 guys about 200 yards down the tracks and with the binoculars was able to identify them as my uncle and cousin.

I got on the 2-way radio and gave my uncle a holler and found out that they were just setting up for another drive going the other way and that I should head back in a bit and post in an area that there were no standers.

The conversation lasted maybe 30 seconds. I turn around and there is a deer crossing the tracks not 35 yards away. Medium size doe, I was going to let it walk, but instead of hightailing it out of there, it walked into the bush and came up parallel to the tracks at about 25 yards.

Here we go! Rifle up, sights on, squeeze.... She was taking a step with the onside front leg as the gun went off. shattered the elbow, centered the lungs, top of the heart gone. The amazing part was that she was standing directly in front of a small maple tree that forked about 5 1/2 feet up. She leaped straight in the air and got stuck in that tree. 2 kicks and it was over.

My uncle gives me a yell "Did you get it?". I say "Yep, but you gotta get up here and see this."

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 AM

One morning in archery me and dad are changing into our scentlocks at the truck. we had just turned the flashlights out and could here somethin walking toward us. we waited thinking it might be a deer but then when we put the light on it...it was a horse!!!

aparently the fence had broken at the farm nearby and the horses got out. but i can honestly say both my dad and i jumped like little girls when we saw it haha
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

When I was a kid I sat under some pines just doing the wait thing when a nice buck came in front of me from left to right. I was shaking so bad when I took the shot. He ran back towards my left from where he came from once I fired so I went to see if I could find blood or him. I walked about 200 yards and stopped just before the road. I figured I missed and decided to head down to camp to warm up a bit. When I got to camp about an hour later my dad tells me that my cousin Jack got one, he found it on the road. I told him I think that I shot that. He offered to give it to me but I didn't think it was right if I took it so he ended up with a nice 8 point that year.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

First day of buck season some years ago, I was sitting in my ladder stand, when some guy came about 20 yards from my stand. he got out his lunch and a portable radio and had his breakfast. this was right around 7 am. radio was loud enough for me to hear the music. about 20 minutes later a buck came from the opposite direction. never had one come that way. shot a nice 8 pointer that scored 138 B&C. don't know if he was coming for breakfast, or to hear the music. surprised the guy so much he spilled his thermos of coffee.

USUALLY ACC. BY YELLOW LAB..SAMMY*** RIP 5/18/2015

NOW ACCOMPANIED BY MOUNTAIN CUR..LUCY
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

2 years ago i was sitting in the woods hunting for deer, and around 830 in the morning an old couple walk up right in front of me and i whistle at them, they wave turn and walk back they way they came. 20 minutes later the old guy walks back and comes up to me to tell me that he had not intended to disturb my hunting, he thinks the deer are a nuisance, and to wish me the best....

THis last winter me and a buddy were hunting coyotes around 6 in the morning. we pull up to our spot and there is another car there, we pull up next to it and get out, and to our surprise we found a woman "pleasuring" another guy, gave us a [censored] of a laugh thaty early in the morning, might have ruined his time though, this was on state game lands i might add.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
we pull up next to it and get out, and to our surprise we found a woman @#$%&^%* another guy
"Welp Hunny, you forgot your hunting gear. Might as well...."

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page