When the hair on your neck stands up - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
The Man

When the hair on your neck stands up

Wow hunting for predators at night!!It's not a hunt it's an adventure...25 + years I have had some things that would make the hair on the back of your neck stand up...
Surely..you have experienced this... There might be a scientific reason for it too... Your hunting in a field for wood chucks in August...It's a hot day..It's about 7:00 PM your walking across a field and all of a sudden you hit a pocket in the field that is freezing cold. It fells like about 40 degrees on a 80 degree day!!! You take a few steps more and then you hit the heat again.. I guess I'd have to ask Mr. Wizard if Mr. Wizard was alive why this happens.. It only happend to me once...But to this day I don't know what it was.
Anybody else have this happen to them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: When the hair on your neck stands up

nope cant say i have, about the change in the wind

Dont knock it till you've tried it
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I remember the great Dennis Kirk referenced in his how to book that calling during fog was a good time to call... It was the Friday after Thanksgiving and I decided to wanted to get out at least once more before deer season started.. The fog was thick....I crawled under the farmers electrical fence and moved about 200 yards into his fields to call...I found that there was a lane open with electrical fence on both sides of me. I followed the lane back to my calling stand.
I got set up and I turned on my Johnny Stewart cassette tape player..The dying rabbit distress bellowed out into the darkness.... The fog was getting worse it now looked like pea soup in front of you... The rabbit distress continued to work... However all of a sudden I heard chains clanging... Wow chains you know what that means!!!Closer and closer and closer they came... right away I shut off the JS electronic caller and listen for the sounds of chains. The sound of the chain clanging stopped... I thought to myself "chains making noise?" "Why that what sound Marleys Ghost made in the movie The Christmas Carol!" "CHAINs = GHOST!" Since the chains clanging stopped I turned on the JS rabbit distress sound again... Almost as soon as I turned it on. the sound of chains coming closer and closer and closer was heard AGAIN!.. I figured...I can't run for it there is to much electrical fence on both sides of me. The sound was 20 yards from me, now 15 yards from me, 10 yards from me!!1I still couldn't see what it was because of the Pea Soup Fog in front of me.. Now 5 yards in front of me and all of a sudden out of the dense fog appeared the farmers herd of cows with the bells just clanging away.. My predator calling called in the farmers cows! Each call had a cow bell around it's neck.. The clanging of the chains was the cow making their call bells ring!!! "I thought I was a goner for sure!!!!!!However Dennis Kirk....Only cows like to come to the rabbit distress sound when the fog is like pea soup!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
The Man

When my son was in middle school parents were asked to come to a briefing given by a doctor. Doctor gave us all a hand out and then commenced to tell us what to look for if our kids were starting to get into of all things WITCH CRAFT!!!
Wow after the brief I was now a pro.. I could tell by ways that things happened now if someone was into WITCH Craft!!!

Days later I was hunting about 1:00 AM near Cumberland County South Mountain... the farmer allowed me to hunt. Beautiful set up for calling too... The farmers field stopped right at the base of the South Mountain... I set up and called for about 30 minutes then decided to make another stand on the farmers land a good 500 yards to the side of me at the base of the mountain.. walking from area A to B I walked through a patch of woods.. Inside the woods were all of these rocks and stumps set up in a circle... Someone took gas and poured it on the side of a big oak tree and burned the Letter "C" from the out side of the bark into the tree.. The tree when I arrived already had the complete "C" burned in it and it was still smoking.. However no one was around...See that briefing that I went to at the school... People into witch Craft will take a flamable item (Probably gas) and burn the "C" into the tree.. The "C" is suppose to be a mocking of CHRIST!!!The doctors hand out and his briefing covered this.. The burning of the letter "C" means people are practicing witch craft.. Of course when I saw that Letter "C" burned into that tree and it was still smoking I knew right away of what it was. I never went back and hunted that farm again at night time after that..The year was 1986!!!!
Just like the story of the cows above!!!This one also made the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up in the air!!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
The Man

My brother and I had permission from a farmer (male) to hunt on this particular parcel of land in Cumberland county.It was winter . All of a sudden one of the local police officer came walking hundreds of yards to us in the field...Women cop..she said that the farmers wife reported seeing red lights out in the field so she called the police. Hence that is why the women cop was checking us out... However the farmers wife told the police that in the daytime prior to us hunting in this field the very night... She spotted 12 to 18 people holding hands and walking around in a circle out in the field that morning.. I guess that must have freaked her out more to see the red lights out in the field at night after seeing all those people in her field that same morning. Um Cumberland County????Again....Could it be more witches dancing around the fields holding hands and such.. Maybe welcoming in Winter Solstice??????? I think it's a pretty good indicator that the farmers wife was not told we were hunting or the farmer was not home that particular night..Maybe she was nipping some brandy that morning too...
"yep night time predator hunting!" "It;s not just a hunt it's an adventure!"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck
Wow hunting for predators at night!!It's not a hunt it's an adventure...25 + years I have had some things that would make the hair on the back of your neck stand up...
Surely..you have experienced this... There might be a scientific reason for it too... Your hunting in a field for wood chucks in August...It's a hot day..It's about 7:00 PM your walking across a field and all of a sudden you hit a pocket in the field that is freezing cold. It fells like about 40 degrees on a 80 degree day!!! You take a few steps more and then you hit the heat again.. I guess I'd have to ask Mr. Wizard if Mr. Wizard was alive why this happens.. It only happend to me once...But to this day I don't know what it was.
Anybody else have this happen to them?
I had the opposite happen to me last winter when hunting coyotes. We were walking up a big hill in the dark at night, it was pretty cold, I think it was in February, when all of a sudden we hit a warm spot on the side of the hill. I turned and looked at my buddy in astonishment then we kind of laughed and went on our way.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page