Luzerne County's Spring Brook Water Dams - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Luzerne County's Spring Brook Water Dams

Big Dam, Pickway, Valley Dam, Davey Jones aka Davey John's, 1st Dam, and 2nd Dam.. As a boy lived at those dams and hunted everything from upland game to deer. My favorite dam had to be Valley Dam...

I know Valley Dam had big Carp but what other fish were in that dam?

Davey John's aka Davey Jones had a large population of yellow perch...

What kind of fish were in all of the water sheds that I mentioned...

It use to be so nice to be able to hunt those places when I was young.. Yes the dams were posted but when we hunted we hunted the sides, the backs, and the tops of the mountains.. I think now P A American Water owns the dams... Do they allow people to hunt close by like the old days?

Jumper Road... use to be a bandit that robbed payroll on Jumpers Road in Plains township that passes many of the dams I mentioned... His name was Red Nose Mike... They hung him on the square in Wilkes Barre for killing a paymaster carry money to pay employees.. I think Mike killed two people in the robbery.. Again all history in that area around the water sheds just outside of Wilkes Barre's Luzerne county!!!

what a trip (high) that would be to be able to hunt Valley Dam area again!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 12:51 PM

Re: Luzerne County's Spring Brook Water Dams

Interesting little article.... http://harveyslake.org/text/story_santa_01.htm

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Fleroo thanks for posting that.. That was real interesting reading....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Some good info on the red nose mike murders in the area of all the Spring Brook Dams.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=70490.0

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

You fisherperson around Wilkes Barre. Do any of you know what kind of fish are in Valley Dam, Big Dam, and ast and 2nd Dam? I know there were bass in the dams1 wonder if any of the dams had any walleye in them? There were carp thats for sure!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:32 PM

UB

I have not fished the dams for 15 to 20 years. So I cant say whats in them now. Some people still hunt near there. Sounds like you miss the great NEPA??

PSU '79, '82
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I do George and I do return every now and then to hunt many of the Pa Game Lands and public lands... However wow!!I use to hunt the Valley Dam area for most of my small game hunts. In the early season and after Christmas... Place use to be one awesome place for wood c o c k and grouse... rabbits to if you knew just where to hunt them. Often thought about parking near the tubs in public parking and walking the tracks back to Valley Dam to hunt.. Sure would like to give that place a try for predators now.. Coyotes, gray fox, and bobcat if that area would be open for bobcat hunting...
Something...I even miss the smell of the bushes that ran along the tracks from the Arch to the back of the dam.. Kind of like a lime smell. That scrub oak just down from the Arch just across the canal.. (There was an old road you parked on off of Jumpers main rd) What an outstanding place in the scrub oak to hunting mountain cottontails. If you got one or two there you really could feel good about your rabbit hunt. Only way you got them too is with a beagle.
Just wonder what Pa American Water would do if they came across you hunting near by? maybe just maybe nothing if you were on the other side of the tracks not close to the dam. However again...September 11th..That impact everyone.. even hunters that just wanted to hunt behind a water shed...
Place was also good for shrooms too...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 PM

UB

The water company SOLD a lot of its land holdings. The new owner does not have an issue with hunting. Some of the land is however re-sold to others who may post depending upon their likes. I know the area (kind of) and their may be some predators because the rabbit popn is down....however I dont go with a dog.
Keep in touch. I go for predators some but no luck so far.

PSU '79, '82
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
The Man

George you just got to know how to coax those predators in. I bet there are a lot of coyotes, bobcat, and gray fox in that area!!!!

I use to do well on the other side of the arch right where that building is now (Ruffed Grouse)... LOL....There use to be somewhat of a small field there as you walked in on the trail almost cattycorner from the arch. On the other side of Jumpers Road... I understand that a resturant now?????
There were times I walked into Valley Dam from the picnic grove too... Piasccochi's (Of course the spelling not right) LOL first spelling post computer sensored it!!!LOL
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 AM

UB
This year I'm going to add fox trapping to the activities I dont do well be enjoy. Maybe I'll look into this area. It would be nice to get a grey fox for the game wall. Have you gotten any reds or greys?

PSU '79, '82

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page