When you were 100 % boy how did we survive - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
The Man

When you were 100 % boy how did we survive

I was thinking as a kid.. Always trying to blow up something> We use to take Carbide put it in a coffee glass jar with water in it. Insert the carbide and put the cap on tight and roll it on the ground and BOOM.. The glass would smash into 100 pieces..

I knew this kid that use to put lighter fluid in his mouth... He would hold a lighter by his lips and spew or spray the lighter fluid out of his mouth and he was like a human torch... Kid was on the National Honor Society in later years too. However the last time he did it.. The fire went inside his mouth and he burned himself with 1,2, 3rd degree burns. .He lived but I hope he learned a lesson later on in life. Later he became an Engineer.. See the kid was just curious but it was not a good thing to mess with fire like that .. Especially if it was in his mouth.

I also heard of kids of taking large rocks and dropping them on 22 rimfire. I never did it but talk about a way to get shot with a stray bullet..

Finally the kid that would tape a 22 RF to a BB gun.. He would tape the base against the BB guns hole. He pull the trigger and shoot the 22 shell like that..

I did this myself.. You ever see that smooth Dynamite pole they used in the mines to push the charge into the hole.. All wood.. I use to pole vault with one in front of my house... It worked for the longest time.. I go up just like a pole vaulter on a track team. However the last time it was a pole. I went up and the pole snapped at the grain.. I came down and the now pointed stake went through the side of my shirt and missed my side by a MM...It could have turned into "Boy Get Wooden Stake Right Through His Body and Dies!" Or It could have destroyed my kidney and I would have bleed to death.

So we did and have know kids that did dumb things and we all made it... Thank the good Lord that he was with us a children..

Anyone else remember doing something to make you 100% boy or knew of a kid that did something stupid?

Last edited by uncle buck; 05-21-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:19 AM
Administrator

I was watching NatGeo a few nites ago and they were showing some sort of festival that takes place every year in some country where people don't wear shoes, only flip flops. Anyway, at the end of this festival the people launch thousands of these paper lanterns into the night sky. It was beautiful.
We did ours out of those super thin blue plastic bags that clothes came back in from the dry cleaners. Three strings attached to the bag held up the tuna fish can where we poured the gasoline. it made a great hot air balloon, rising up until all you could see was a blob of shimmery blue light moving over the city on the air currents like a ufo. It was beautiful.
I never cared much for city life. It's just too danged noisy at night with all those stinkin sirens.

MAGA 2020
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Let's see...I shot 22 blanks with my slingshot until one came back and cut my lip...made what we called "diamonds" in the bottom of soda bottles with my bb gun until one bounced back and made one out of my glasses...shot practice arrows straight up and tried to catch them with a cardboard box...jumped trains...etc...etc...etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
The Man

My brother and I would walk the ditches along the roads after the 4th of July.. We would find all the fireworks that didn't go off. We found what they called an Ash Can.. However the fuse was only 1/8 of an inch long... We got a milk bottle .. Glass one.. I lit it and he dropped it into the bottle or vs versa.. Anyway.. The bottle exploded in thousands of pieces and we didn't even get inches away from when it blew up.. We were not hit with one piece of glass. The good Lord was with us.. Headlines in the paper on 6 July could have read.. "Two brothers killed when a glass milk bottle exploded from a short fused firework!" Those Ash Cans were massive.. The fuse came out of the middle of them not the top..
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

I used to do the lighter fluid trick out of my mouth when one time the flames came back on my nose. It blistered up that was the last time.

Me and a friend took a small glass bottle and filled it with matches heads then put a match in the top of the bottle for a fuse. Like someone said it went quick my friend just turned around and when it exploded he got glass pieces in the back of his legs.

One time I bought some throwing knives from a magazine. This was back in the 70's just like the posts above. I took my throwing knives up to the attic, it was my bedroom at the time. I was throwing them against the wall, I know it was stupid, and I couldn't get them to stick blade side. I got mad and threw one really hard and it came back and hit my nose by the blade! I just about pooped! The blood was flying and I finally got it stopped, it wasn't that bad, I still have the scar. Never told no one either.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:58 AM

I did the lighter fluid thing once except it was with 151 proof rum. 21st Birthday- I didn't spit it out, I drank it on fire.

One real dumb thing I remember doing as a kid was shooting model rocket engines out of a metal tube that we held on our shoulder like a bazooka. After one exited the tube about 2 ft, spun around a few times before whizzing back past my head, we discovered that we needed to attach something to stabilize it.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I was shooting in a 20 gauges slug gun at a farm.. Just sighting it in.. fired and heard the slug come back over my head ZIIIIIIIIIIIING. To this day I often wondered how close to the top of my head did it go over... Also what would make a Foster slug come back at me like that?... It must have hit a medal plate in the ground????????????????.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
I was shooting in a 20 gauges slug gun at a farm.. Just sighting it in.. fired and heard the slug come back over my head ZIIIIIIIIIIIING. To this day I often wondered how close to the top of my head did it go over... Also what would make a Foster slug come back at me like that?... It must have hit a medal plate in the ground????????????????.
I read in Muzzleloader magazine that green wood can send round balls back at you.
uncle buck and 4x4dad like this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

As a kid we used to swing on vines, my paps place has a lot to swing from. We had to cut down a a medium sized sapling because it was in the way when we would swing so we cut it down with a hatchet, leaving a nice "pointed" stump. Me and my buddy were swinging on the vine together when the vine broke, we both managed to miss the pointed stump by inches.
We used to jump trains a lot too, after school we would walk the tracks home, if a train was coming past slow enough we would hop on the back and ride it home.
Taking all of the powder of out a bunch of fireworks and adding it all into a big pile, held a lighter over the pile and lost my eye brows.
Riding on the tailgate of a truck up my buddies lane to his house, lost my grip around a turn and fell off. Barely missed hitting my head off a large rock.
Shot an arrow into the sky one time, came back down and landed on my parents roof, had fun explaining that one.

As a parent now, I find it hard to let my child, "Be A Kid" because I know all of the things I did when I was younger.
4x4dad likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:46 AM
The Man

We were up at our camp one time when I was pretty young, maybe 8 years old. I found a longbow and some wooden arrows that belonged to my grandfather. I started shooting them out in the yard. Soon I got the idea to "lob" them up higher in the air so they would still land in the yard. I got to shooting them higher and higher, landing them closer and closer to me. Finally, I drew the bow back as far as I could and let an arrow go straight up in the air. It went so far up that I lost sight of it. It was then that it crossed my mind that I was standing in the middle between the camp roof and two cars....
All of a sudden I saw a dot that became the arrow falling from the sky directly at me. I froze for a minute but dodged out of the way at the last second. The arrow stuck in the ground about 3 feet from where I was standing. I was pretty relieved, but turned around just in time to see my dad standing at the front door of the camp observing the last few seconds of that episode. I could tell he wasn't happy, don't recall what he said, but he came storming out the door, grabbed every arrow that I had and snapped all of them over his knee. That was the end of my bow shooting for that trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page