Anyone metal detect? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Anyone metal detect?

I have a White's XLT. I'm looking for someone with more experience to show me the ins and outs of detecting. I've had it for a few years. I've been looking for the legendary mason jars of coins supposedly left by the Old PA warlock, pa dutch faith healer at my dad's land. No luck oldest thing I have found is a 1919 wheat penny.

Where do you look? How do you get permission, etc.? Probably sameway you get permission to hunt private property ask.

Regards,

Bob

Properly trained, A man can be a dog's best friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Anyone metal detect?

Hey Bob,

I do some metal detecting, just leisurely. the oldest thing I found is a corroded horseshoe. I think the whole treasure hunting thing is fun, even if people think it's dorky. I use a White's metal detector, but I'm sorry to say that I have as much knowledge about the subject as you seem to have. You may already be aware, but there is an author named Paul Henson (I think that's his name)who wrote a book called "Guide to Treasure Hunting in Pennsylvania" (or a similar name). I can't find the book right now if you didn't notice. Anyway, it is composed of a ton of listings for supposed treasure in the state, by county. Fun at least to imagine. Perhaps he also has an article or book more focused on the questions you're asking. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Deliveryman

Now it's been delivered--Hunt On!
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 PM

Hi Bob,

My uncle is completely amazing when it comes to metal detecting. When they drained Sweet Arrow Lake in Pine Grove, he was featured in our local newspaper because he found over 150 rings, tons of lures, some old slot machines and all sorts of other treasures. Over the years he has found dozens of class rings and then found their original owners through lots of research. What I have learned from him over the years is to look for areas where there used to be structures and detect around them. He buys up all the old books from nearby towns that show old house locations and structures. He knocks on doors and makes calls and occasionally gets lucky with access to detect. Most people have no issue with it, but some do. There are treasure hunting guides that you can buy, but like he says, everyone has already gotten them and the areas have been detected over and over. Obviously as technology gets better, those areas again become prosperous. He has some real stories and finds! He has been featured in Treasure Hunter magazine a few times as well. I know he doesn't travel far from home (Joliett) but I will email him and see if he would be willing to give you a few pointers.

D

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 02:19 AM
DVD
Frequent Contributor

We use them at the high school where I work in Philadelphia. Sorry, I couldn't resist! Good luck with your post.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:42 AM

Red Dogz,detecting is an awesome and addicting hobby!!!I also use a Whites XLT.Do you use headphones?..if not giv'em a try,they defntly help ALOT!!Setting your ground balance is very important,especially in trashy or highly mineralized areas.The AC sensitivity is critical as well.Not sure how familiar you are with your machine,if I'm giving you info.you already know,I apologize.If you have any ?'s shoot me a PM.
As far as where to hunt,talk to some old-timers around,most are willing to tell you where the "old School-house" was,old swimming holes are always good to.Any old farms are usually great producers especially if you can find where the outhouse or the clothesline was.Old carnival or fairgrounds are another great place to check out.
Happy Huntin'
Fordman
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Red Dogz,

Random Thoughts
Dont be in too much of a hurry to write off the spots that everybody knows about and have hunted. I've found that those spots are usually passed over by the real pros who figure they're washed out and have nothing left to find. I hunted a little village park near my home a few years ago and scored really big on coins, jewelry, and artifacts.What was really funny was that every month our detecting club would meet in the library across the street and everybody would tell me not to waste my time. Every member thought it was already hunted out by other members.
I hunt using a grid. Whether it's just playing off my own tracks in the morning dew, or actually laying out and following sticks and string, I'm like a pitbull and dont miss a single foot of ground.
A carpenter's apron! They are made of cloth, have pockets, and they give them away at lumberyards.
Headphones let you hear a signal much better and they're much easier on battery power than a speaker.
The big tree behind the farmhouse used to have a swing hung from it. Things fall out of people's pockets when they swing. Also, when they're gardening.
Ever had everything in your pocket come out while you stood at your own front door and dragged out your keys? I'll bet you aint the only person that ever happened to.
You will not find gold doubloons in a schoolyard, but you will learn how to interpret what your machine is trying to tell you when it sees coins, pulltabs, gumwrappers, and even some jewelry.
I havent found a doubloon yet either, but maybe gold coins arent the only thing out there worth finding. I have found an unfired musketball dropped by a colonial soldier on his way to the battle of Oriskany, and from the same bivouac area I took home a brass button that had fallen from a militiaman's uniform.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 AM

We do it but, they are my PIL's detectors and I don't know much about them. He sets them up and I go. But we have found some really nice things and reading some tips here, I can see why.

We will hit the lakes when they drop the water. Here they do them in like 4 year incriments. Also under bleachers, dirt parking lots or anywhere lots of people gather for events. ESPECIALLY if there is alcohol involved LOL!

We have found more gold rings than anything. My wife has like 4 rings on each of her fingers and most are from nice rings we have found. Finders Keepers LOL!

I did return one ring tho. I found it in a flower garden and it belonged to the man that lived there before my friend. It was his graduation ring from LA Tech during the 50's. He had lost it like 12 years before I found it. He gave me a big ol' hug!

The bad thing about QDM is it does not mean "Quality Deer Meat".
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I have'nt checked this thread in more than a week thanks for all of the good advice. I have some ideas where I am going to try and it looks like headphones are a must.

Properly trained, A man can be a dog's best friend.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Part of the Community

Hey 4C,

Is your uncle Paul Henson or are you pointing to someone else? If he is the former, I looked into a treasure that was in his book and got a clue, yeah, possibly--probably worthless. I'd like to know what elese he knows about this certain one. Does he have any updates on the treasures in the PA book that was written? Thanks.

Now it's been delivered--Hunt On!
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:16 PM

Deliveryman, sorry, his name is Jeff. I'll ask him if he knows Paul though.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page